Article: Kevin Lake Hired at Manchester

Former New Haven graduate and Manchester wrestler Kevin Lake has been hired to head the Manchester University wrestling team. Lake comes to Manchester after stints at Princeton, South Dakota State, and Fresno State. Most recently he was the program director at Beat the Streets Los Angeles.

MANCHESTER UNIVERSITY SPORTS INFORMATION RELEASE

NORTH MANCHESTER, IND. – Manchester University Director of Athletics Rick Espeset has announced the hiring of Kevin Lake as head coach of the Spartans’ wrestling program.

Lake takes the reins over from former head coach Matt Burlingame who departed in August to become a high school science teacher and head wrestling coach at Whitko High School.

“I wish to thank Rick and the entire search committee for giving me the opportunity to come back to Manchester University (to become head wrestling coach),” Lake said. “This is very much like coming home, and I’m excited to lead the program into a new era.”

“Kevin is a tremendous fit (for Manchester University),” Espeset said. “He understands the program as a former student-athlete (within it) and knows what direction the athletic department and university want to see it headed.”

Lake, who earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Health and Physical Education and Exercise Science from MU in May of 1998 and a Master of Arts degree in Sport Administration from Central Michigan University in December 2004, wrestled collegiately for the Spartans under the guidance of long-time head coach and Director of Athletics Tom Jarman. He’s kept himself close to the sport throughout his post-graduate graduate career, as he’s been the program director of Beat The Streets Los Angeles, Inc., a nonprofit organization cultivating youth development in underserved communities through wrestling, as well as being a member of an ad hoc committee for USA Wrestling through Beat The Streets and a member of the L.A. organizing committee for the United World Wrestling Freestyle World Cup event.

“Working with Beat the Streets Los Angeles was a life changing experience,” Lake noted. “I’m extremely grateful to Andy Barth, Board President and Founder; Yero Washington, Executive Director; and our Board of Directors for their leadership and guidance over the past three and a half years. We had an amazing support system and the experience is one that I will carry with me in my role with Manchester University.

“Just as Beat The Streets played an important role in my development as a wrestling coach, Coach Jarman impacted me so much as an athlete and person,” he added. “I hope that I can leave a legacy as impactful as him on our athletes and all those that come across our program. Much of who I am today was shaped as a student-athlete at Manchester under (Coach Jarman’s) guidance.”

Click here to view the article

Former New Haven graduate and Manchester wrestler Kevin Lake has been hired to head the Manchester University wrestling team. Lake comes to Manchester after stints at Princeton, South Dakota State, and Fresno State. Most recently he was the program director at Beat the Streets Los Angeles.

Click here to view the article

Couldn't hire a better guy. One of my training partners at The Chet.  Bring back the glory Kevo cause This Is For Sparta! Let's go!

Edited by Major Ursula