Penn Wrestling Club at Freakshow

KingsmenDad

PWC took 1st Place honors in the High School Elite Division at the 2015 Southwest Kickoff Classic known as the "Freakshow". Once again the competition was great with a lot of CA, AZ, OK, OR, NM, NV, WA and other Western US wrestlers. Way to go PWC!

Recap:

High School Elite:

Jarod Swank - 7-1 Wrestling Back to take True 2nd at 160 lbs.

David Eli - 2-2 to place 4th at 195 lbs.

Denzyl Prentice - 3-2 to place 4th at 152 lbs.

Cameron Beam - 3-3 to place 8th at 138 lbs.

Austin Slates - 2-2 at 113 lbs.

Marcus Mejia - 4-2 at 132 lbs.

High School Varsity:

David Eli - 5-0 placing 1st at 195 lbs.

Lance Tribbett - 1-2 at 182 lbs.

15 & Under:

Noah Brown - 4-2 at 130 lbs.

Christian Mejia - 3-2 at 116 lbs.

12 & Under:

Aaron Steenbeke - 1-2 at 90 lbs.

Wesley Harper - 1-2 at 74 lbs.

Edited by KingsmenDad

It tells you how tough the IHPO is because he didn't place there, but gets second at a "prestigious national tourney."

Don't get your feathers ruffled Y2 , maybe I should of said the Premier Southwest Preseason Tourney . It's only rankings anyway right?  what matters is where you end up at the end of the season. Plus he could be at 152 for the season . 

Edited by M109R

My feathers are fine, I just like to point out inconsistencies when you try to take a jab at the rankings. Swank is slotted well considering his loss to Farmer at the IHPO. 

And of course when you call an event prestigious and kids that place there don't even place in the top 8 at the IHPO I guess you can call my little tournament prestigious also.

My feathers are fine, I just like to point out inconsistencies when you try to take a jab at the rankings. Swank is slotted well considering his loss to Farmer at the IHPO. 

And of course when you call an event prestigious and kids that place there don't even place in the top 8 at the IHPO I guess you can call my little tournament prestigious also.

Stay classy, Y2

I'll defend the rankings when someone tries to take a pot shot at them.

If I put together the rankings , and someone questioned them , I would explain why I ranked a wrestler in his or her current location(which you did)and all is good . Don't feel I took a pot shot at anything . Everyone would rank wrestlers different . 

I finished the preseason rankings before the preseason open and the freak show. The only quick changes I made were weight related. Like Slates and prentice. Swanks ranking was based on The Ihpo so I dropped him behind Farmer who beat him 4-3. So I took farmers summer/season loses in to account for his ranking too. Obviously Swank can wrestle with anyone in the state. Which he does regularly through the season. I'm sure anything less then number 1 is a disappointment.

Sorry for the late response

I finished the preseason rankings before the preseason open and the freak show. The only quick changes I made were weight related. Like Slates and prentice. Swanks ranking was based on The Ihpo so I dropped him behind Farmer who beat him 4-3. So I took farmers summer/season loses in to account for his ranking too. Obviously Swank can wrestle with anyone in the state. Which he does regularly through the season. I'm sure anything less then number 1 is a disappointment.

Sorry for the late response

No , Region kids have the 1 spot at 52 and 60 , I would rank Swank around 5th at either weight . Not a big deal , like stated earlier , we will see where he finishes . 

I think you guys are doing great. From the looks of things he was over ranked last year in comparison to where he finished.

Swank might of been over ranked last year ,  but very slightly. It was more of Dunn and Vancamp being underanked and Garmin being over ranked .Garmin (ranked 3rd) was beaten Friday night by a kid with 14 losses . Most of Swanks losses were to Tommy Forte . he then draws Dunn on Friday night at state. Dunn ends up finishing 4th and was a TB away from wrestling Forte in the final . 

Edited by M109R

I'm not sure if the semi-state and state results suggest anything other than that there was a tone of parity at 152 after Forte and Kemper.  You had a 20-loss kid get through the deep, deep class in Evansville, you had an unranked kid win FW semi-state and place 5th at state, and you had 2 kids with almost 15 losses place at state.  I'm not sure Garman and Swank weren't ranked where they should be based on regular season results--it's just that there were about 20-25 kids that could beat each other on a given day outside of Forte as the clear #1 and Kemper (in my opinion) as the clear #2.

(Also, how crazy was the Mooresville sectional...5th place Ethan Stock of Monrovia comes in 25-7 and gets eliminated by losing a close match to an eventual state qualifier and then a wrestle-back match to the #8 kid in the state.  sorry, buddy.  VanHorn ends up being the only top 4 guy from that sectional not at state.)

Edited by maligned

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.