2016 IHSAA State Champs (by Semi State)

backtothemat

Might as well get started early.  My "two minute drill" (aka first thought that comes to mind) prediction:

106: Mills (Evv)

113: Cummings (EC)

120: Hudkins (Evv)

126: Bailey (NC)

132: Red (NC)

138: Lee Evv/NC

145: Lee Evv/NC

152: Lee Evv/NC

160: Hughes (EC)

170: Walton (Evv)

182: Davison (EC)

195: Rypel (NC)

220: Parris NC

285: Streck (EC)

Pick'em on the Lees....

Next.............

106 - Ty Mills (EV)

113 - Drew Hildebrandt, Cummings if Drew goes higher (MV)

120 - Blake Glogouski (FW) or Hildebrandt

126 - Brock Hudkins (EV)

132 - Nick Lee (EV), if he actually does go here.

138 - Sage Coy (FW)

145 - Joe Lee (EV)

152 - Steven Lawrence (MV)

160 - Jacob Covaciu (MV)

170 - Drew Hughes (MV)

182 - Andrew Davison (MV)

195 - Blake Rypel (NC)

220 - Kobe Woods (MV)

285 - Shawn Streck (MV)

Merrillville looks to dominate the championship distribution for the second half of the weights.

With all this talk of Lee vs Red  and  Woods vs Parris,  can we all say again how nice it would be to somehow split the #1 and #2 seeds at state so they meet under the lights!!  If these pan out, neither should be a semifinal matchup

The Lee vs. Red talk flashes me back to may moons ago when Escobedo and Hump were co-ranked #1 their whole senior year only to see Hump drop weight classes. I'm not holding my breath on Lee vs Red. 

That being said with a more flexible schedule this year, I will drive to EMD Classic to see that match. 

While Rypel might be the best of all three right now. I don't see Rypel wanting to wrestle them. He doesn't come off as having that big vision quest type drive to prove to everyone. He will wrestle 95 again and dominate everyone like last year.

Last year Blake wrestled up to 220 every opportunity that he could until the state series. He will do it again this year so maybe there will be an opportunity for him to see one of those guys. As far as the state finals go, he is not going to go an unnatural weight just for the enjoyment of the spectators. He already travels all over the country to compete against the best wrestlers.

Yeah why try to challenge yourself? Why try to cement yourself as an all time great? Why get wins over nationally ranked opponents? I think wrestling wise Rypel is one of the best big guys IN has ever seen. But there have been plenty of 2 time state champs. I would love to see him beat a defending state champion who is ranked in the country. And a young stud who by the time he is a senior could very well be top 10. Hope you don't coach your athletes that way Y2J. You'd suck as a coach if so.

He does challenge him self in every national tournament. The guy wasn't a full 95 last year and dominated. He proves how good he is every time he steps on the mat at a national tourney. Come on now. Paris vs nationally ranked woods should be a nice match up.

Edited by ontherise219

Yeah why try to challenge yourself? Why try to cement yourself as an all time great? Why get wins over nationally ranked opponents? I think wrestling wise Rypel is one of the best big guys IN has ever seen. But there have been plenty of 2 time state champs. I would love to see him beat a defending state champion who is ranked in the country. And a young stud who by the time he is a senior could very well be top 10. Hope you don't coach your athletes that way Y2J. You'd suck as a coach if so.

He's placed at the Super 32, NHSCA Junior Nationals, USAW Junior Nationals, FloNationals, amongst other national level events. He doesn't avoid competition plain and simple.  He's ranked like 6th in the nation and you're trying to say he should go on a "vision quest." That is absolutely laughable when he's seen the best in the nation all spring, summer, and fall. Why don't those guys cut weight to wrestle him if you are so enamored with Woods and Parris wrestling him?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.