# of Dual Meets

ENoblewrestling

• 2 weeks later...

SB Clay has 5

I think about 15 years ago there was a discussion I had with Al Smith, that getting rid or our dual meets and going to all day Saturday meets was going to hurt our sport. Fans don't like 12 hour tournaments every Saturday to watch there kid wrestle 5 matches maybe less.  Coaches like getting there kids all that mat time on Saturdays but at what cost to the limited fan base.

Number of matches vs. fan support?

My concern with too many duals is not enough quality matches during the season. M kid is a light weight. Had four duals last year. 42 total matches but only 34 counting forfeits. Of the 34, maybe 10 were with very novice wrestlers. So now we're down to 24 matches and even some of those were one sided.

Too many duals equal less quality matches even though they may be good to build a fan base.

My concern with too many duals is not enough quality matches during the season. M kid is a light weight. Had four duals last year. 42 total matches but only 34 counting forfeits. Of the 34, maybe 10 were with very novice wrestlers. So now we're down to 24 matches and even some of those were one sided.

Too many duals equal less quality matches even though they may be good to build a fan base.

As a coach you have to do a juggling act with your schedule. You do want some good single duals for fans to come out, but you also have a responsibility to the kids to get them prepared for the state series. 

We have basically a 9 or 10 week season and that's if you start in November, which really is one of the shorter seasons in the country or at least midwest. With 18 points(1 for duals, 2 for multi team) you have quite a bit of options. One of the things I don't like is weeks with multiple weigh-ins. I know we will have them, but want to limit them as much as possible. As a coach you have to find what is best for your team and that is different for EVERYONE. The teams that Carmel can wrestle withing a 30-45 minutes are way different than Carroll or Castle can find. Or at schools like Busco or Garrett you have other needs and wants in a dual. It is extremely hard to have a cookie cutter approach to this subject/issue.

With the dual thing though the thing the NWCA keeps forgetting to emphasize is GOOD dual meets. Meets where teams are full and even have some JV matches. Meets that are good rivalries are going to bring better crowds. We had a dual a couple years ago for the "conference championship" and there were maybe 20 fans in the stands. No one came because the didn't want to travel to see us win by 70. 

The thing I think that is hurting our sport are the two day events. It seems more and more of them popup every year. I would not mind if the IHSAA said the first 2-day event you schedule is 2 points and others are 4 points. I would probably be 50/50 on having to have 6 duals, but wouldn't cry about it...too much. It wouldn't surprise me if there is some sort of modification to our scheduling abilities in the near future as I have heard grumblings about it recently.

What are you guys thoughts on quads? I used to think that the NHC using them was kind of a waste of points until we wrestled in one a few years back. It was supposed to be a five way, but due to weather, or football ended up being a quad. I personally loved it. You still got three matches, and you were done at a reasonable hour.

With five ways the last meet of the day is usually pretty bad. The kids are banged up, half of them don't want to be there. If we could find a quality quad we would jump at it if we had an opening, anybody else?

I know when I wrestled in West Central part of state we average 16 duals a year, we wrestled duals Tuesday and Thursday and tournaments on weekends. Now living in KY they only have meets on Saturday, so you have to choose whether to go to a tournament or duel. The lack of wrestling programs here is our downfall.

• 2 weeks later...

Greensburg has 4. I don't see more dual meets helping our fan base much though. Prior to this season, our meets have always been relegated to our fieldhouse. It's hard to bring in many fans when the seating is metal bleachers in a chilly fieldhouse in December or January. Luckily,our new AD does seem interested in scheduling events so we can be in the main gym more often in the future.

since moving from indiana and now in florida since july 2015. i have noticed that our school (not sure of rest) has no duals during the week. all meets are two days a friday and saturday which are mostly 11 way duals accrounding to schedule.

Brandon HS schedule:
Fri/Sat 11way dual Chamberlain HS
Fri/Sat Graves Tournament 20-25 teams (Flo broadcasted last year)
Fri/Sat 11way dual Gulf HS
Tue/Wed Heart of Dixie Alabama 15-20 teams (Christmas break)
Fri/Sat 11way dual Manatee HS
Fri/Sat 11 way dual Tourament East Bay HS
Fri/Sat hillsborough county division duals *
Fri/Sat Ippoitio tournament 25-30 teams
Fri/Sat hillsborough individual tournament *
Fri/Sat districts
Fri/Sat regions
Fri/Sat state

* think there are 26 schools in the county

Edited by DLane

Correct me if I am wrong Danny.... I think that Trey Lane is currently ranked second in his weight class in Florida. Man..... the rest of the young Avon team misses that kid. They lost a good teammate and a brother... but gained a sweet place to go hang out when they get a chance!!!!!

Correct me if I am wrong Danny.... I think that Trey Lane is currently ranked second in his weight class in Florida. Man..... the rest of the young Avon team misses that kid. They lost a good teammate and a brother... but gained a sweet place to go hang out when they get a chance!!!!!

Yes, Trey some how pulled the #2 spot in 2a (classed wrestling here 3, 2 and 1a). I am really not sure how they can really rank him since he is a incoming freshman and never wrestled in the State of Florida. Only things he has wrestled in was Virigina Tech Camp with Brandon he went 17-0 and wrestled in one open tournament at 112lbs and went 4-0 never going out the 1st period. Another then that haven't wrestled a ton down here (banged up shoulder) just camps and alot of wrestling with some college guys that went to Brandon (VT, Oklahoma, Mich, Mich St, Cal Poly and some DII, NAIA guys). But still not enough to rank him...IMO. But it is still pretty cool to see his name on the rankings. We miss our Avon and CWA wrestling families, and still watch or follow Avon sports. Better yet we still love to follow Indiana wrestlers all the way from down south!

Edited by DLane

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.