Kolat

Anyone else watch the Kolat video part 1 on Flowrestling and just come away thinking "I hope no kids or parents think that was a good idea." I know its not their job to spell it out for people, but what his dad was doing to him was horrible. Kolat says a couple times "that was the worst thing I could have done" by just writing down his goals as an 8 year old, but I am afraid people will skip by that and think that's how you make a champion. I see the comments on there saying how much it motivated people to go work out and think they are missing the point.

Like them or not Flo is doing a great job with these documentaries!!! The Humphery doc. was very good but the one on Kolat takes it to a new level. These documentaries are a must see for all aspiring wrestler. Wheather you agree with their tactics and techniques or not these are Americas best!!! If a wrestler is aspiring to reach the top of the wrestling world, they need to know what it takes to get there. These documentaries show what our greats had to do to reach the top!!! VERY INSPIRING...

I wasn't saying I didn't like them.  They are all very good and this one does go deeper than others.  However, compare it to series they did on Reece.  Reece's father was an Olympic coach but never pushed him into the sport and never even told Reece he wrestled until his son was in junior high.  Then look at how Kolat was abused as a child by a father who never wrestled.  Both wrestled for the US in the world championships.  Was Kolat better - yes.  Was it worth it - no.  As a father it makes me sick to see how Kolat was treated in Episode 1, it was still a good show.  My concern is that younger kids or some parents will watch it and miss the point.  I see a FEW parents at most youth tournaments who I could envision taking the wrong thing away from it.

I have a Taser, will that work? Lol... In all seriousness I dont belive he whould have been made it as far as he did with out his father. Even though I dont agree with all of Mr. Kolat's training (abuse) techniques, Cary said his father always made him feel like he was unbeatable.

• 2 weeks later...

I already purchased my cattle prod for this season! In all seriousness, would Kolat be where he was at that level without his dad?

No...and that's often the question with greatness.  So many tech geniuses or sports legends or musical legends reached their level of obsession in part because of being pushed obsessively--and/or were legendarily horrible family members or parents because of their obsessions.  What we call "greatness" has often come at a very, very high price.  It raises many ethical questions in some cases.

For me, Kolat's situation will never, ever add up to being worth it.  If you told me right now that one of my daughters WILL be the best in the world at wrestling or dance or a particular science--but that I will have to push her obsessively and abusively toward her goals for it to happen--I would say thanks, but no thanks, every time.  There are so many more important, more lasting things in life.

No...and that's often the question with greatness.  So many tech geniuses or sports legends or musical legends reached their level of obsession in part because of being pushed obsessively--and/or were legendarily horrible family members or parents because of their obsessions.  What we call "greatness" has often come at a very, very high price.  It raises many ethical questions in some cases.

For me, Kolat's situation will never, ever add up to being worth it.  If you told me right now that one of my daughters WILL be the best in the world at wrestling or dance or a particular science--but that I will have to push her obsessively and abusively toward her goals for it to happen--I would say thanks, but no thanks, every time.  There are so many more important, more lasting things in life.

Yeah I can't get the documentary out of my mind.  I agree with you.  It was pretty obvious at the end that Kolat is scarred pretty hard.  In the end just like any sport Wrestling should supplement your life, not be everything.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.