FW Semi State State Champions

Major Ursula

It's possible no one from FW will go into the season ranked #1, but these guys could all be top 3 at winnable weights, depending on how everyone falls:

Laughlin, McCormick, Garman, Baumgartner

There are a few FW big guys that would be state champ contenders in other years, but we're loaded with nationally ranked guys at the top of every weight in that area this season.  
Edited by maligned

It's possible no one from FW will go into the season ranked #1, but these guys could all be top 3 at winnable weights, depending on how everyone falls:

Laughlin, McCormick, Garman, Baumgartner

There are a few FW big guys that would be state champ contenders in other years, but we're loaded with nationally ranked guys at the top of every weight in that area this season.

Seems to me there are a few guys who have at least as good a shot as the guys you mentioned. Like Sage Coy Delta. Blake Glugowski Fairfield, Geoffrey Davis Wayne.

Seems to me there are a few guys who have at least as good a shot as the guys you mentioned. Like Sage Coy Delta. Blake Glugowski Fairfield, Geoffrey Davis Wayne.

This is why I clarified "winnable weights" above.  Unless Geoffrey is at 106 again, I think all 3 of these guys are long shots to win state, unfortunately.

Coy will have to face Red or one of the Lees no matter which weight he goes and he'll struggle to stay close with any of them.  So even if you argue he should be ranked #2 somewhere, he still might not be a real threat to win state. 

Glogouski could be interesting, but he won't be ranked any higher than 5th or 6th, assuming he goes 120 or higher, because so many guys are coming back around those weights.  There's no one guy that would be head and shoulders above him at 120 or 126; but it will be very crowded with 4-6 guys that will be a little better than him, making it very difficult to win a title.

If Geoffrey is still at 106, he might be the most interesting one of the three.  If not, he'll have a hard time cracking the top 10 at 113 or above--again, because those weights will be swarmed with guys coming back.

Edited by maligned

This is why I clarified "winnable weights" above. Unless Geoffrey is at 106 again, I don't think any of these 3 has much chance to win state, unfortunately.

Coy will have to face Red or one of the Lees no matter which weight he goes and he won't touch any of them. So even if you argue he should be ranked #2 somewhere, he's still not a real threat to win state outside of an injury happening.

Glogouski could be interesting, but he won't be ranked any higher than 5th or 6th, assuming he goes 120 or higher, because so many guys are coming back around those weights. There's no one guy that would be head and shoulders above him at 120 or 126; but it will be very crowded with 4-6 guys that will be a little better than him, making it very difficult to win a title.

If Geoffrey is still at 106, he might be the most interesting one of the three. If not, he'll have a hard time cracking the top 10 at 113 or above--again, because those weights will be swarmed with guys coming back.

Any weight is "winnable".. Last I checked Jesus and Muhammad's eligibility is up. I'll agree that Davis has the highest ceiling here and I'd add no one saw him coming last year but myself and his familial circle. If he got fourth last year and was unranked most of the year then I believe a title contention is not out of the question this year. Coy can wrestle with anyone no matter the weight. Glogouski has been wrestling since he was 4 or 5 I believe he has the pedigree to overcome his past setbacks. He is a fiery competitor and I'd never count him out. Edited by CommWayne

Any weight is "winnable".. Last I checked Jesus and Muhammad's eligibility is up. I'll agree that Davis has the highest ceiling here and I'd add no one saw him coming last year but myself and his familial circle. If he got fourth last year and was unranked most of the year then I believe a title contention is not out of the question this year. Coy can wrestle with anyone no matter the weight. Glogouski has been wrestling since he was 4 or 5 I believe he has the pedigree to overcome his past setbacks. He is a fiery competitor and I'd never count him out.

I hope you're right and one of them can get a title.  I like to see Ft. Wayne do well.

Jacob Grey can compete at any weight that doesn't have Drew Hughes in it. This year in an anomaly as we have 8 returning state champions along with 2014 champ Jer Reitz. That is probably the most ever as we usually have 7+ senior state champs.

Y2 I agree completely on Grey.  That kid is tough.

What about Ellis at 220?  I thought he was pretty impressive last year.  Is there a heavy favorite at 220?  I couldn't remember anyone off of the top of my head.

I'm a FW guy but the Fort Wayne Semi-State is getting shut out this year.

Then you may reside in The Fort but you are not a "Fort Wayne Guy". We shall revisit this on Feb 21st and shall see how good of a prodnosticator you are. I know 2 guys in Fort Wayne one in New Haven 2 in Huntertown, 2 in Muncie, and one in Kendalville that may beg to differ. And who knows who Yorktown has under the radar. That's why they wrestle.

Then you may reside in The Fort but you are not a "Fort Wayne Guy". We shall revisit this on Feb 21st and shall see how good of a prodnosticator you are. I know 2 guys in Fort Wayne one in New Haven 2 in Huntertown, 2 in Muncie, and one in Kendalville that may beg to differ. And who knows who Yorktown has under the radar. That's why they wrestle.

I want Fort Wayne semi-state to do as well as anyone but Fort Wayne is by far the weakest semi-state.

The argument that Fort Wayne Semi State is the weakest doesn't have a huge impact on whether or not an individual is able to place well at the State Tournament. Yes I understand that a wrestler who has faced tough competition the whole year may be more seasoned but all Fort Wayne SS teams don't only wrestle other Fort Wayne SS teams. And it has been shown many times that wrestlers from small schools or schools with "bad" programs are able to compete with larger schools and schools with historically successful programs. An athlete's potential individual success shouldn't be discounted because of the lack of depth in the Semi State he comes from but should be decided by their past accomplishments and their potential compared to other wrestlers in their weight class.

who is the champ out of the FW semi state this season? I can't find one, depending on weights. There are a lot of champs returning.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.