Tsirtsis taking Olympic redshirt?

maligned

Is Tsirtsis taking an Olympic redshirt this year? 

I know he qualifies by virtue of being a past NCAA champ and placing Top 2 at university nationals this year.

I would assume he would, but I haven't been tracking his situation very closely.

(Just my own 2 cents...I hope he is.  Whether it results in immediate success or not, taking an Olympic redshirt now allows him to focus on freestyle fully this year as a 21/22 year-old, rather than not being able to focus fully on it until he's 23/24.  The younger the kid during intensive work on freestyle, the better the chance to make bigger improvements and have a real shot at any national/international goals.  I realize it means he's not a "career" freestyler until age 24/25 if he takes the redshirt now, but I wonder if the gains from putting in the time at his age this year will make it worth it.)

Edited by maligned

Yeah, after I asked the question, I saw he's listed on the current Northwestern roster.  That probably means he's not taking the redshirt.  

I have no idea how hard the cut would be to 143, but he's never seemed that big at 149.  I know he went 70kg (154) this summer, so maybe the cut down is too much.  But yeah, 74kg doesn't seem like a good fit either (163 pounds is big and numerous brick walls named Burroughs, Dake, Howe, etc. are standing in his way).  With being "between" weights and also not having had great freestyle results the last 2 offseasons, maybe he's just going to ride it out and go all in at whatever weight makes sense after he graduates.  He would have two full world-team calendar years where he could go 70kg before the next Olympics comes around in his 3rd year out of school.

Edited by maligned

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.