Article: Dingo in Vegas at the World Championships (Day 3)

Dingo Brigade

So here's what we have left: Batbold must beat his Ukrainian foe for Reece to make it repechage. Snyder will face #13 Tahan of Iran for a spot in the finals

Batbold and Shuptar up now. Batbold does a somersault with a dynamic high leap as his warm up. Batbold appeared to throw Shuptar, but so far no points....judges conferring... 1 and 1. Mongolia challenges

Looked pretty clearly like a good throw for Batbold, but somehow he loses the challenge. Batbold throws him again....3-2 the Mongolian leads at the break. Seems to have a slight edge in neutral over the Ukrainian

Batbold takes a finger to the face...less than 2 minutes left, still 3-2

Weird scramble, couldn't tell who threw who...gave anotehr 1 and 1....Batbold with a throw and a gut....leads 8-3....Folks it's looking like Reece will have to win 2 matches to become a bronze medailst. He happened to draw the hottest wrestler in the bracket in Batbold Nomin. The Mongolian wins 8-4. The crowd roars in appreciation for his work today. He is a bad little dude.

So glad Reece gets another crack at a medal

Hump should be up shortly, will face Bajrang of India. If he wins, he'll face #4 Lomtadze for a shot at wrestling for the bronze.

Reece looks focused and confident., again keeping distance, now locking up. Throw attempt by Hump denied by Bajrang.. Locked up near the edge of the mat. Move to the center

Scoreless after 1 minute...Bajrang gets Reece's leg, Reece threatens to throw him, Bajrang releases. Restart. 90 seconds in, still scoreless

Hump hit with passivity, put on shot clock, doesn't score. 2 point TD by Bajrang..Reece looks stunned. Things appear to be falling apart for Hump...Low single for Hump, but he telegraphed it, which doesn't work at this level. He looks 'off', think there was a clash of heads

Looks like Alex O'Dolly is now eliminated as Kyahtiev loses on a late TD by Turkey's Yasar. Bummer for Alex.

Reece has a little over 2 minutes. He looks a step slow and just 'off'. Can't explain it, so he must be hurt. ABout to be pinned

Snyder up now. Reece gets pinned. Very poor performance. Feel bad for him

Meanwhile, on a positive note, first TD goes to Snyder against the Iranian. He's gaining confidence and looking better and better. Another TD....4-0!!!!

Tahan had a deep single, Snyder fought it off for just a 1 point step out.....4-1 Snyder leads after 2 minutes....4-1 at the break....great first period for the 19 year old....let's hope he can hold on. Quickly out of the break, Snyder can't fight off a nice shot by Tahan....4-3....it's anyone's match

Getting back to Reece, he doesn't need anyone making excuses for him.....BUT, I saw the Indian wrestle earlier, and a 'normal' Reece might've teched or pinned him. I honestly believe that. He looked dazed, slow and reactive instead of proactive. Not the guy I've watched all these years.

Tahan on the shot clock.....just over a minute left. Snyder fights off a deep single. Great hips on the youngster.....45 secs left....no score for Tahan, so a point for Snyder....5-3... a TD could still win it for Tahan on criteria

Well, not now, as Snyder gets a stepout against the Iranian...NOW ANOTHER....6-3 SNYDER WILL WRESTLE FOR GOLD. Unbelievable

So that pretty much closes things out for now. Snyder will wrestle for gold against (likely) #2 Gadisov of Russia. Gadisov beat the #1 Gazyumov of Azerbaijan, #19 Kehrer of Germany and #3 Odikadze. Snyder beat #11 Oliinyk of UKR, #8 Baran of Poland and #13 Tahan of Iran. Should be a great match, although Snyder is a substantial underdog, despite his remarkable performance today.

Be back later this evening!

Edited by Dingo Brigade

Getting back to Reece, he doesn't need anyone making excuses for him.....BUT, I saw the Indian wrestle earlier, and a 'normal' Reece might've teched or pinned him. I honestly believe that. He looked dazed, slow and reactive instead of proactive. Not the guy I've watched all these years.

It was far from his best match, but the Indian has won a world bronze before and he absolutely dismantled and pinned the Georgian also in his next match (the Georgian almost beat Batbold, who's going for gold).  

The bottom line seems to be this: Reece has world-class offense that can potentially keep him in matches against even the best in the world; but if he runs into guys who can neutralize him (which was the case in both losses), he can give up a lot of points.  He gave up high scoring totals 3 times today and he's done it in the past too.  It's led to some really exciting matches, but in freestyle it can look bad on the scoreboard quickly.  It feels ridiculous to nitpick one of Indiana's greatest of all time; but in the context of facing other guys who are the best in the world, this seems to be his situation.  

Yeah I was probably a little emotional when I said Reece should tech him, but I do feel like he was a step slow and extremely reactive in his matches, after his first match, anyway. Even in his first match, his strategy was iffy, but he looked like himself. Either way, it's a bummer.

On a positive note, Jaynes wins bronze. With Snyder's guaranteed medal, that gives us 5 total medals

So the network is very problematic again today. I've been trying for 45 straight minutes to get on.

So far, Ramos won in dominant fashion, but he has all the heavy hitters in his side of the bracket.

Hopefully, the network will be resolved and I can offer more commentary

Still no network.

Rey loses to a Ukrainian 6-1. Just couldn't get past his defense and really never came close to scoring. I've noticed with Rey, Herbert and even Hump that, when they can't get to their preferred method of scoring, they don't have a plan b. I realize it's impossible to be good at everything but it's very frustrating to see our guys trying the same stuff over and over when it's not working. Rant over

Burroughs up, got taken down first by the pole, but got on his horse and threw two nice 2s up himself. Leads 4-2. Clearly, the world is scouting him more closely than ever

Step out point for jb...5-2

Still no network. Sucks.

On mat d, #2 and #3 are up, Lebedev of Russia and Bonne Rodriguez of Cuba, respectively. Since the #1 guy from n korea isn't here, these are the top 2 guys in the world. Lebedev leads 2-1...gets a lot if breaks from the ref....wins 2-1...crowd is aghast

Ramos up now, seeking to set up another US vs Iran match to get to the quarters. Ramos faces UZB's Shavkatov. Ramos put on shot clock very quickly, gives up the point

Ramos down 1 to 0 at the break. Needs to get something going...does. Shavkatov put on shot click...nothing. tied 1 to 1

Ramos gives up a step out point. Then gets a huge td....leads 3 to 2

Gives up another step out but wins 3 to 3 by criteria

Edited by Dingo Brigade

Ramos will face #4 Rahimi of Iran...very tough match. Lurking also in Ramos' section of the bracket is North Korea's backup 57kg, #6 jong. He has an almost perfect build for the weight, practices with the #1 guy in the world at the weight, and has been dominant in his first 2 matches.

Back on the  network...for the time being at least.

Green absolutely destroyed his opponent with a series of Burroughs-esque freight train doubles. Of course, beating Costa Rica only means so much, but it was very, very impressive, a first period tech.

Burroughs is up now, leading 2-0 over his Ukrainian foe, who has  2 cautions already.

Zackhrayvych in deep on a leg, Burroughs sits on it and stalls it out, great defense. The Ukrainian returns the favor by stymieing Burroughs double-leg...but you can only do that for so long. Burroughs gets a sweet double with 2 turns to take a 6-0 lead into the break. Right out of the break, he gets a TD to win by tech 10-0

Burroughs up 2 to 0 1 minute in against Iranian Ghasemi

At 57kg, Iran's Rahimi wins to keep Ramos alive

Ghasemi on the shot clock. ..no dice. Burroughs up 3 to 0

Another td before the break...5 to 0

1 minute left. Still 5 to 0

Burroughs in complete control. ..advances to semis

57kg #8 Khinchegashvili of Georgia vs #4 Rahimi of Iran

Rahimi's win puts Ramos in the repechage. He'll face the winner of Belarus and Venezuela

Burroughs up now with a 1-0 lead over Geduev of Russia with a step out

Second passivity on Geduev puts him on shot clock...no go. Burroughs leads 2 to 0 at the break

2 point TD for Geduev gives him a 2 to 2 lead via criteria

Absolutely deafening when Burroughs hits a double on the edge of the mat for a 4 to 2 lead. Loudest it's been all week. Step out against Burroughs but it's not enough. ...back to the gold medal match

Burroughs will face unranked Mongolian Purevjav

Iran vs us again. The tall, long Yazdani vs the stouter Green. 1st point to Green with step out, but Yaz dani follow with a Td and step out to take a 3 to 1 lead

Another td for yazdani....5-1

Nice defensive counter by Green gives him 2....5 to 3 at the break

Nearly a huge throw for green. Gets a step out point instead. 5 to 4

Couple of big tds for yazdani and this is about over

..green will wrestle for bronze

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.