Junior Duals

The reason that we have these types of teams is our coaches and kids don't take the pride that other states do in this event. Illinois, Minnesota, Oklahoma, etc all go there to win.

We do have a solid freestyle team, however still do not have a heavyweight. I think a 9-16 team finish is realistic for them.

I disagree, I as a coach would prefer Freestyle over all styles.

The main reason probably has to do with the ISWA dinking with pre-qualifications and waver scandal! Maybe they should have looked into last year's winners & places if they needed people to fill in.

Edited by warsawwrestling

I disagree, I as a coach would prefer Freestyle over all styles.

The main reason probably has to do with the ISWA dinking with pre-qualifications and waver scandal! Maybe they should have looked into last year's winners & places if they needed people to fill in.

Greco did not need a qualifier to participate at any level, and the Junior team was picked by selection rather than just off the state results. So the ISWA qualification issue may have cause some problems with state participation and trip fee support, but shouldn't have got too much In the way of the coaches getting together the best Junior Team they could. Knowing Coach Hull, he likely overturned many rocks looking for people to fill the voids. With some openings on less than a months notice it is hard to convince someone to step who has been out of practice, has other mid-summer plans set, and has the funds for such a trip. Edited by MattM

Those are good points and I don't know how the team looked prior to people backing out, but from Coach Hull's (which I know puts in his time and this and prior post are not directed directly toward him) post it sounds like neither team was ever filled.

We (a group of 3-4 kids) have been visiting 3 RTC locations on and off since high school has been out and never heard or been asked anything about Junior duals. Been asked to go to everything but Junior duals.

So what does this say about how the state feels, no clue ask them. I do know things with Team Indiana 25 years ago when I was in high school was a goal for us.

What has happened to turn it over the years? To many teams around the state allowed? Increase in folkstyle events? Change of interest in Indiana? Bad leadership decisions? Direction issues? I could argue all of these, but what's the point!

Where are the fixes? There needs to be unity or at a least consistency? Advertising? Direction to get youth on wrestling mats and back to wrestling all 3 styles. It's not much different than team building to me, it starts with youth. Older kids already are set in their ways and are much harder to get motivated to change or convince to show up to events. Start smaller and get younger kids in all 3. Could do folk, free and greco at same time so they have to do all 3. Don't know just spit balling iteas.

There doesn't seem to be any problem filling the roster for the cadet national team. What changes in a year or two to cause the apathy?

To me it seems like the date issue is the biggest factor. There's just too much conflict with Disney/ Jazztown and Fargo and its hard to justify the expenses in such a quick turnaround.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.