Continental Championships (Not to be confused with the Intercontinental Belt)

I really like that United World Wrestling has created these continental championships.  The championships are adding more of an 'Olympic' feel to a non-Olympic year.  I really love how excited the fans are getting at these matches!  They are slightly confusing although.  Probably its just me because this is the first year of it.  For example, it's pretty easy to understand the African Champions were the continent of Africa and the Asian Championships were Asia.  But what confused me was that our continental championships were the Pan American Championships.  Honestly, when it was being called Pan American a few weeks ago I just kind of guessed that was the Pan Am Games, but I must have been wrong.  The other thing that confused me is that we have two continents (North America and South America) in one championship, but the other continents seem to be just their continent alone.  Although I guess I haven't seen Australia, so I wonder if they were really at the Asia championships.  Also, I see the one going on right now is called the European Games with sports besides wrestling going on.  

It would be fruitless to have a North American championship with the US, Mexico, Canada and Puerto Rico so I am guessing they added South America too.

Of course the European Games this week included Russia which I was taught by the great Bob Novy is a part of Asia.

Of course the European Games this week included Russia which I was taught by the great Bob Novy is a part of Asia.

Actually it's both...Georgia, Azerbaijan, Turkey, Kazakhstan, and Russia all have land in both (even before the Crimea annexation).  

It would be fruitless to have a North American championship with the US, Mexico, Canada and Puerto Rico so I am guessing they added South America too.

Couldn't North America also include Cuba, Dominican Republic, etc?

(Geography was never my strongest subject and for a few reasons I haven't been keeping up on current events)

Couldn't North America also include Cuba, Dominican Republic, etc?

(Geography was never my strongest subject and for a few reasons I haven't been keeping up on current events)

Yes, North America includes the Caribbean and central America.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.