Changing college uniform?

Talked to a DI assistant coach recently.  He claimed that next season college wrestling will switch uniforms.  They will move away from the singlet and to fight shorts with compression shirt.  According to him, they are trying to making things more cutting edge and copying mma's clothing.  Does anyone know if this is really true?

Talked to a DI assistant coach recently.  He claimed that next season college wrestling will switch uniforms.  They will move away from the singlet and to fight shorts with compression shirt.  According to him, they are trying to making things more cutting edge and copying mma's clothing.  Does anyone know if this is really true?

UWW is looking to change the uniform for international wrestling after the Olympics. Also, per the NCAA wrestling rules release they are recommending that teams have contrasting singlets in duals.  There was nothing said about the uniform change.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/article/2015-06-08/panel-approves-drop-down-neutral-position-stalling-rules-wrestling

I would think they would test out the uniforms before making it mandatory.

We have heard no talk at all about this. Plus we just bought brand new singlets. I would assume if they were to make this a rule then they would give at least a year or two to adjust. Many teams don't have a budget to just buy new competition gear on a whim. 

I know from the outside, there has been a push for this for a couple of years now.  A lot of it has to do with trying to grow the sport and this is a way to do away with the stigma attached to singlets from outsiders.T.R. Foley, one of the writers for Intermat, has been an outspoken proponent of it in his Friday Mailbags as well as on that blue bird site.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.