Possible Exemption to 2 Tourney Rule

As a junior Team Leader I am all in favor of a "two event" requirement. Those events could include tournaments or official RTC practice with at least a Silver Certified clinician running the session. I believe kids would get just as much if not more benefit out of a two hour session at an RTC as they would going to a tournament and getting a couple of matches. Another option would be keep the two events in place but mandate at least one of them is a tournament with an option of the second event being a tournament or RTC.

Requiring a silver certified clinician you can assure yourself of someone who has invested their time in learning and understanding the match strategy and techniques. The ISWA can provide a list of those individuals who reside in the state to the RTC's or the RTC's can contact the ISWA to make sure the individual is at least silver certified. The RTC's would require kids sign into the RTC they attend and be able to provide proof if necessary.

This isn't the final answer but it sure goes along way to resolve the stress of getting in two events in a four week span.

As a junior Team Leader I am all in favor of a "two event" requirement. Those events could include tournaments or official RTC practice with at least a Silver Certified clinician running the session. I believe kids would get just as much if not more benefit out of a two hour session at an RTC as they would going to a tournament and getting a couple of matches. Another option would be keep the two events in place but mandate at least one of them is a tournament with an option of the second event being a tournament or RTC.

Requiring a silver certified clinician you can assure yourself of someone who has invested their time in learning and understanding the match strategy and techniques. The ISWA can provide a list of those individuals who reside in the state to the RTC's or the RTC's can contact the ISWA to make sure the individual is at least silver certified. The RTC's would require kids sign into the RTC they attend and be able to provide proof if necessary.

This isn't the final answer but it sure goes along way to resolve the stress of getting in two events in a four week span.

Agree

As much of a reasonable solution that you presented is, the ISWA is in a precarious position after this week.  First off, no one trusts their "rules" now. If they try to implement even a reasonable suggestion such as one event or something like this, people will just try to petition into state next year. All gains made at the local tournaments are lost, meaning they will be back to where they were last year.  The ISWA is all but forced to go back to no qualifying procedure or they will pretty much kill the international styles.There are 800 upset people right now within the organization, if not more after this week's happenings. That is the simple truth, unfortunately I am not going to expect much to be done by the ISWA as it seems from their actions this week and over the past five weeks that they believe they did nothing wrong. I surely hope I am wrong with that previous statement, but that is the vibe I have gotten from this weekend.

I had a parent tell me a great solution to right the ship and I will share it. However, I'm not too confident that the ISWA would take these kind of steps as it would be too reasonable. The solution would be to make freestyle state free next year for kids that followed the rules this year and got two qualifiers in. This would show great appreciation for those that followed the rules and made sacrifices. In all honesty this is probably the best and most common sense way to win back the trust of those that were slighted by this week's actions.

Time will tell if the ISWA makes amends to those who followed their "rules."

How many RTC's have a Silver Certified Clinician?

RTC attendance as a qualifier is a great idea and has been brought up by others.

I do agree with Y2 though.  Many people in the wrestling community feel as if they have been lied to by the ISWA. The ISWA needs to realize this and come out and do or say something to acknowledge the feelings that many people in the wrestling community now has towards the organization.  By ignoring this situation the ISWA may do just the exact opposite of what they were trying to do, hurt the international styles.

I'm not the poster child for the ISWA, but Joe's stabs behind his computer does not help. Maybe Mr. Y2 will take over the origination the same way he does Indiana wrestling websites.

I'm a big nobody, but this is not the way to help an organization that has been here for the kids for sometime now. I have been around for a while now. I've seen the ups and down. Now suddenly one saint thinks he has all the answer for all of Indiana wrestling? I approached u twice this weekend and not one word was said about all the problems. I guess u and Nick were to busy with your own show??

I guess in your mind we should just let people lie to us in the future. They messed up royally and  you can't for one minute think that if they try mandating ANYTHING next year for freestyle state that people will follow it. Wrestling people don't forget things like this and talking to others they were none too happy about the situation. 

I'm not the poster child for the ISWA, but Joe's stabs behind his computer does not help. Maybe Mr. Y2 will take over the origination the same way he does Indiana wrestling websites.

I'm a big nobody, but this is not the way to help an organization that has been here for the kids for sometime now. I have been around for a while now. I've seen the ups and down. Now suddenly one saint thinks he has all the answer for all of Indiana wrestling? I approached u twice this weekend and not one word was said about all the problems. I guess u and Nick were to busy with your own show??

This is comic relief........Me and Y2 don't agree 1/2 the time.  But one thing I can say is that I know how much time I put in just as a High School coach, Little Kids Club coach and running our summer program.  If you take that time and add all the work he does on this website plus a job.  You want to call him out because of something he disagrees, in character, of how ISWA treated and continues to treat people that pay for their existence.  If every person would put in as much effort as these guys, wresting in Indiana would be at a higher level.

Preaching to the choir. I'm a high school coach, club coach , official plus 3 kids of my own playing sports. I didn't say Joe didn't do anything for wrestling. I said Joe's approach for this situation is wrong. I was at state from weigh in Friday till the last match wrestled Sunday. I talked to many people, on all sides of the issue. Not one has blown this up like him.

I personally think he has a point.  I don't pay into the ISWA through club fees, but I pay for a coaches and athletes card every year.  Why is it I am not afforded the same rights to information and suggestions like clubs.  The By-Laws state that I am along with every other card holder!  The rule from the get go was protested and objected to by multiple card holders and clubs.

I personally think he has a point.  I don't pay into the ISWA through club fees, but I pay for a coaches and athletes card every year.  Why is it I am not afforded the same rights to information and suggestions like clubs.  The By-Laws state that I am along with every other card holder!  The rule from the get go was protested and objected to by multiple card holders and clubs.

Where does your wrestler practice?

Multiple places (enough that I will keep him undeclared most times).  We do have a small group that practices at Warsaw, but not big enough to warrant a club at this time.  By small I mean only 3-4 willing to travel to participate in tournaments. It doesn't matter, unless ISWA changes their By-laws, I have the rights that are listed in them if I am a card member.

If you are involved with multiple clubs, not counting Warsaw, then you should have multiple opportunities to receive information.  The coaching card and athlete card are not from ISWA - you got those directly from USAW.

I agree that you should receive important information.  If Warsaw eventually grows and becomes a club, then you'll get monthly newsletters of information.  Until then, you could be resourceful to get it.

Lets put this in perspective.  Once again for the 100th time ISWA is a business and should advertise, communicate and seek as many wrestlers as possible to grow said business.  Warsaw is a pretty big school and if I decide after my son graduates to continue to put more focus in the kids program and grow it, than who should be wooing who.  HYWAY has no problem putting together a list of people to notify, maybe I push my kids toward that way.  I love Freestyle, but not going to spend my time trying to track down information that is not even posted on ISWA website (waver information for example), not to mention changed rules at the last minute.  My son is a 10 year ISWA member and used to get information in the mail but for some reason that has changed.

Lets put this in perspective.  Once again for the 100th time ISWA is a business and should advertise, communicate and seek as many wrestlers as possible to grow said business.  Warsaw is a pretty big school and if I decide after my son graduates to continue to put more focus in the kids program and grow it, than who should be wooing who.  HYWAY has no problem putting together a list of people to notify, maybe I push my kids toward that way.  I love Freestyle, but not going to spend my time trying to track down information that is not even posted on ISWA website (waver information for example), not to mention changed rules at the last minute.  My son is a 10 year ISWA member and used to get information in the mail but for some reason that has changed.

Considering Warsaw is a 6A school with one state qualifier in 2014-2015 and a pretty non-existent feeder program (based on your posts), I think the ISWA can survive without your membership. Maybe you should focus on the business of improving Warsaw wrestling?

Considering Warsaw is a 6A school with one state qualifier in 2014-2015 and a pretty non-existent feeder program (based on your posts), I think the ISWA can survive without your membership. Maybe you should focus on the business of improving Warsaw wrestling?

So are you saying that the ISWA can do without the business of everyone who felt slighted by the ISWA? 

So are you saying that the ISWA can do without the business of everyone who felt slighted by the ISWA? 

Nope.  I'm saying fanning the flames on a website isn't the solution to the problem. If I was more directly affected by the ISWA's actions perhaps I might be more incensed than I am. However, I hope I would be able to put the totality of the ISWA and their actions into perspective. Starting a post saying the "ISWA needs to be put on notice" is bush league in my opinion, and quite frankly the guy ticked me off to the point I felt compelled to say something.  Don't worry AJ, I am going back into my bunker and will let the geniuses solve all of Indiana wrestling's faults.  

Edited by vito pepperelli

I do not think the post was fair to Y2.   Imop, he is just advocating for an improved situation.   And he is clearly not the only one.   When a person reads the full thread, one sees plenty of folks with the same position.

Most reasonable people want a strong and vibrant ISWA.  It benefits us all.  A few tweaks to increase transparency is all it would really take.  A few examples:

-Stream board meeting online (google hangouts are free)

-Improve communication.  Notable policy changes announced on ISWA home page news.  Or via email. 

-Maybe bring back the old monthly/quarterly newsletter via email or Facebook.

-If we continue to have a qualification process, provide a transparent list on ISWA.com of those who are qualified.

-Engage membership in robust discussion about major changes. (Facebook or IndianaMat or Email or Twitter)

Not everyone lives in or around Indianapolis.   Modern technology can help tremendously with this issue.   The community outside Indianapolis needs the opportunity to participate without making a six hour roundtrip.

The heart of this issue was/is fairness.  There was a lack of communication about the 2 qualifier rule.   People did not find out till late in the game due to the lack of communication.  Then a letter comes out to clubs (not the general public) about a waiver, which confirmed members’ fears about the lack of communication creating an unfair situation. 

Just utilizing a few free or cheap technologies for communication would solve 99% of the issue.   I think ISWA will be just fine in the long run by simply proactively using online tools already at their disposal. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.