Open letter to Y2

coachi123

Funny this comes from the guy who complains about no tourneys up north. Might have had something to do with getting a tourney going up that way, then had only 2 wrestlers show up. Does that sound right?

Why would you stir the pot? Seems like you would worry about your situation and not everyone else's.

The fact that you have to make 2 of a 4-5 week freestyle season is ridiculous to me as well. I certainly would not cry about kids getting in if the ISWA let's them thou. I had 1 kid register for 3 tourneys. Wrestled a total of 2 matches at 1 tourney against the same kid. I'm sure he is fit and ready for state after paying, I'm mean winning his medals.

Y2 you should be the guy that promotes wrestling for all not what just affects your area. Come down and see how the east central side of the state is. The north should be thankful

Funny this comes from the guy who complains about no tourneys up north. Might have had something to do with getting a tourney going up that way, then had only 2 wrestlers show up. Does that sound right?

Why would you stir the pot? Seems like you would worry about your situation and not everyone else's.

The fact that you have to make 2 of a 4-5 week freestyle season is ridiculous to me as well. I certainly would not cry about kids getting in if the ISWA let's them thou. I had 1 kid register for 3 tourneys. Wrestled a total of 2 matches at 1 tourney against the same kid. I'm sure he is fit and ready for state after paying, I'm mean winning his medals.

Y2 you should be the guy that promotes wrestling for all not what just affects your area. Come down and see how the east central side of the state is. The north should be thankful

This has nothing to do with "my area" as you like to put it, it has to do with setting rules and FOLLOWING them.

I don't like it when someone makes a rule, then lets a bunch of exceptions in. There were 800+ kids that fulfilled the requirements and now we have people who can just send a letter and not have to go through the same hoops the others had to go through. I had a parent ask the ISWA a couple weeks ago about the requirement since their son could only get one event in due to work obligations. They said NO, so he had to take off of work to go wrestle two matches to qualify. Now, if they would have just waited they would have just had to make up some flimsy excuse and get it.

Fill out the waiver for little Billy that u want in, and let everyone else make there argument themselves. What good are you doing for wrestlers or wrestling by putting kids on blast for wanting to compete.

Maybe the ISWA dropped the ball or should have waited till next season to start this new qualification? I'm not sure what's right, but help in the matter instead of throwing all under the bus.

Fill out the waiver for little Billy that u want in, and let everyone else make there argument themselves. What good are you doing for wrestlers or wrestling by putting kids on blast for wanting to compete.

Maybe the ISWA dropped the ball or should have waited till next season to start this new qualification? I'm not sure what's right, but help in the matter instead of throwing all under the bus.

My kids that saw they weren't getting two tournaments in quit training freestyle. The ones that did now see they wasted time and money as they could have spent 5 minutes writing a flimsy excuse. 

The ISWA is dropping the ball by now allowing kids to skirt their rules.

My kids that saw they weren't getting two tournaments in quit training freestyle. The ones that did now see they wasted time and money as they could have spent 5 minutes writing a flimsy excuse. 

The ISWA is dropping the ball by now allowing kids to skirt their rules.

I agree, my kid wrestled hurt to get his 2 in. ISWA is teaching us that RULES don't matter. We wish there was AAU and USA in this State now. Tired of ISWA. 

I agree with Y2!  We had a few kids from our school stressing and realizing with spring sports that they couldn't fulfill the requirements to qualify for FS State.  We also had a few of our club kids from area schools who were panicking as well.  This email was received today...2 DAYS BEFORE REGISTRATION DEADLINE.  Our kids that said well I'll just focus on track or baseball now since I can't qualify for FS State haven't been training.  IF they would have known we could have kept them up at club.

I agree, my kid wrestled hurt to get his 2 in. ISWA is teaching us that RULES don't matter. We wish there was AAU and USA in this State now. Tired of ISWA. 

AAU Wrestling hasn't been around in over 25 years.  The AAU organization had documented corruption spanning many, many years.  At least the ISWA (which is part of USAW) tries to be as open as it can, short of personally calling over 9000 wrestlers.  Sure it has made some questionable decisions, but they have always been what the Board of Directors (~30 volunteers) have felt was best for Indiana wrestling at the time.  Making changes and trying different things usually gets complaints and causes unforeseen problems.  I trust that the ISWA will continue to learn from mistakes and make improvements like it normally does.

The ISWA is club-based organization.  They send out information every month to each club's representative.  That representative is responsible for passing along the information to the club's coaches and members.  If your rep isn't doing that, then find out who it is and request that he/she share it each month.  Or better yet, become more involved in your local wrestling club's organization.

AAU Wrestling hasn't been around in over 25 years.  The AAU organization had documented corruption spanning many, many years.  At least the ISWA (which is part of USAW) tries to be as open as it can, short of personally calling over 9000 wrestlers.  Sure it has made some questionable decisions, but they have always been what the Board of Directors (~30 volunteers) have felt was best for Indiana wrestling at the time.  Making changes and trying different things usually gets complaints and causes unforeseen problems.  I trust that the ISWA will continue to learn from mistakes and make improvements like it normally does.

The ISWA is club-based organization.  They send out information every month to each club's representative.  That representative is responsible for passing along the information to the club's coaches and members.  If your rep isn't doing that, then find out who it is and request that he/she share it each month.  Or better yet, become more involved in your local wrestling club's organization.

AAU isn't around anymore?  I could swear Ive seen events sponsored by AAU

I understand what you are saying, but this topic was disputed left and right before freestyle season even started.  ISWA (which I thought was great) went back and found additional locations to add to try to help people get qualified.  ISWA does however have a terrible way of communicating.  I understand that it is a club based program, but Unattached placed 20th last year in the Freestyle Team Event, placed 4th in Folkstyle little kids state this year and placed 1st in Folkstyle Team Big kids state this year.  I'm not the best person with stats, but it seems to be that you are missing a lot of the Folkstyle unattached kids in Freestyle. There might be a few kids that are not associated with a club (think the earlier evidence shows quite a few), but ISWA doesn't seem to have a problem taking their money.  If they are willing to cash in on these kids they have a responsibility to try all means to get the information out to them (I don't mean they need to put it on billboards or post it on the nightly news).  It is not hard to have an email collection of past participants or post on ISWA, Indianamat and/or email all AD's.  If you need additional help on how to contact people please get a hold of HYWAY, they have seemed to figure it out.  Never been a club member there (have been a past ISWA club member), but get all of HYWAY emails and none of ISWAs. 

Lots of people mad about lack of communication, have you tried to approach one of their board members at a tourney? Or call the ISWA office?

I've done both and I know we've had other coaches in our club do both and with great success. 

Really?  Good example:  Every camp (son wrestling, daughter golf), every course (daughter), where I get my groceries, where I get my gas, my credit card, my bank and anywhere else that makes money off of me has no problem contacting me to see or offer opportunities (which make them money and might benefit me).  ISWA whether for profit or not is a business.  If they want to survive they need to start acting like it.  They are acting like a government (which most are bankrupt). 

Lots of people mad about lack of communication, have you tried to approach one of their board members at a tourney? Or call the ISWA office?

I've done both and I know we've had other coaches in our club do both and with great success. 

That seems to be your go-to response! You act like we haven't..

I have a PM (personal message for those southern folk without the interwebs) in my inbox on this acct from a board member from March, so "check". I sent an email this morning to the ISWA "contact" address asking for clarification of some things, so check. It appears a highly decorated wrestler from a respected program did not get a response either.

No, we didn't send a snail mail letter via the United States Postal System..so shame on us!

Of note, in looking at the ISWA website for contact info today (before your prompting), is the fact that they do not have a posting that there is a waiver process now in place to get entered for their FS/GK state series. Wouldn't you think that might be tremendous, if not logical, way to communicate with your constituents along with (instead of), sending a memo to local clubs who in turn have to get the info out? BTW, since most clubs are now finished with local tourneys/seasons, do you think some of these clubs might not be checking emails on a regular basis and might not have gotten yesterdays urgent memo?

I said call them or approach them at meet.

But that would require using a voice or having face to face time, heaven forbid the keyboard warriors do that.

Again, similar to other events going on in the country, why does it have to be one or the other? Can't we find a happy medium.

So you want me to take the 3 hour drive down to Indy (northerner!), for an event my kid might not be able to participate in this weekend, so that I can ask Mr. Rosbottom et al if he can and to voice my displeasure? You don't think sending an email for clarification might be a tad quicker and save some time/$? You and others keep telling us to drive to the meetings. We keep telling you and others to embrace the technology. I have an idea, maybe if we rec'd responses to emails and were heard or replied to via 21st century technology, we might devote a day of our life on a Sunday to come partake in a face to face. But the fact our non face to face communiques/issues/attempts to contacts are haphazardly dismissed sure doesn't make us want to pile in the General Lee and tour on down to Naptown to hear stories about how great things are going. Sorry.

Honest question, you should have a section director w/ a phone number.

I understand it's frustrating, I'm not a board member or anything w/ ISWA, just trying to get solutions. Sometimes a phone call or a face to face can get better results than electronic communications.

The subtle south shots are nice though I like them. I got a bag full of region and even worse region rejects quips but I sit them b/c I have like 2 friends in the region and don't want to offend.

Worse case scenario down here we pick up our fancy mouth speaker that's wired to that wooden box and the local operator patches us through to whomever we are needing to talk to.

I actually have a can and rope that goes to Jeff, when I need Danny or Louis I send smoke signals (hopefully wind is blowing east to west) and then we chat it up on the cans. 

Honest question, you should have a section director w/ a phone number.

I understand it's frustrating, I'm not a board member or anything w/ ISWA, just trying to get solutions. Sometimes a phone call or a face to face can get better results than electronic communications.

The subtle south shots are nice though I like them. I got a bag full of region and even worse region rejects quips but I sit them b/c I have like 2 friends in the region and don't want to offend.

Worse case scenario down here we pick up our fancy mouth speaker that's wired to that wooden box and the local operator patches us through to whomever we are needing to talk to.

I actually have a can and rope that goes to Jeff, when I need Danny or Louis I send smoke signals (hopefully wind is blowing east to west) and then we chat it up on the cans. 

Point of clarification: Penn is only considered part of the region when bragging about semi-state superiority.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.