IHSWCA Team State at Fort Wayne Complaints/Suggestions

alcorntr

Was thinking of the Southern Schools. Avon can go North or South. Avon is in EMD Holiday Classic every year. 2 days later in FW. Back to Evansville for SS. How did you get it was us not wanting to go FW? Wow, touchy......

He is not being touchy, he is tired like the rest of the north & south of the mid state telling us how it is our responsibility to meet in Indy for anything.  I'm not for or against this being in Fort Wayne, South Bend, Valpo, Indy, Bloomington, Evansville or any other location.  I kinda like the idea of it moving all around, similar to how the big ten does.  It drawls different crowds and builds support for wrestling.  Just like Semi-state, regional and sectional should be rotated.  Are you telling me teams that host, mostly if it is at their school, don't have an advantage or if you have a bigger crowd supporting you isn't an advantage?

He is not being touchy, he is tired like the rest of the north & south of the mid state telling us how it is our responsibility to meet in Indy for anything.  I'm not for or against this being in Fort Wayne, South Bend, Valpo, Indy, Bloomington, Evansville or any other location.  I kinda like the idea of it moving all around, similar to how the big ten does.  It drawls different crowds and builds support for wrestling.  Just like Semi-state, regional and sectional should be rotated.  Are you telling me teams that host, mostly if it is at their school, don't have an advantage or if you have a bigger crowd supporting you isn't an advantage?

Touchy is correct. I recommended FORD CENTER for next year. GET A MAP and find it in EVANSVILLE.  Mentioned Avon because Coach McCormick said he begged all Indy schools to host and Avon is hosting ISWA FR-GR this weekend. I am still sure that the FORD CENTER is in EVANSVILLE since Avon goes to Evansville twice every year. TOUCHY and wet pants. 

Touchy is correct. I recommended FORD CENTER for next year. GET A MAP and find it in EVANSVILLE.  Mentioned Avon because Coach McCormick said he begged all Indy schools to host and Avon is hosting ISWA FR-GR this weekend. I am still sure that the FORD CENTER is in EVANSVILLE since Avon goes to Evansville twice every year. TOUCHY and wet pants. 

Really? You want to match distance traveled with the north and south schools? All I did is explain why he is probably ranting and that I think it should move around (kinda making both of your points).  I don't know why you are now taking his rant he put on you, on to me........#poopypants.

Avon has nice facilities, but still would not have the ability to view all mats at once. 

My ideal venue has always been the Pepsi Coliseum, however it is out of our price range at this time from what I have heard. We need to find a nice little financial backer to help secure that facility.

Really? You want to match distance traveled with the north and south schools? All I did is explain why he is probably ranting and that I think it should move around (kinda making both of your points).  I don't know why you are now taking his rant he put on you, on to me........#poopypants.

Wet pants was for guy who said he was peeing his pants. again, touchy.....

Guys I have read all of the posts on this thread and understand where everone is coming from.  The reality is Trent has looked in Indy and the venue's simply weren't available.  This event has grown every year with popularity and with the addition of more teams.  Trent has done a fantastic job in organizing this event and has been open to suggestions on ways to make it better every year.  Y2 spoke with me early last year about Ft Wayne being a possible location for the next venue and Trent listened to the suggestion and found the info to be true.  Each venue that has hosted this event has done a tremendous job at hosting it.  Without Trent spearheading the planning on this event it wouldn't exist. 

Keep the ideas coming for how we can improve the event and Trent has proven he is always willing to listen as long as it has the best interest of improving our IHSWCA State Duals.

We have traveled to Westfield HS and BSU to compete in this event before. I for one am thankful that we get the short distance to FW for 2015-16. If it goes south next year, it goes south. If we get back in when held south of Indy, yes the drive is gonna stink and hopefully our AD/school will not hold us out of the event. What's the difference in a couple hours and a few more miles when this year we put in 35.25 hours on the bus and 1,962 miles.

I am very grateful it is in Ft. Wayne.  As Y2 said, it gives us room to grow.

I also like warsaw's idea of perhaps rotating the team state location.  Maybe two years in the north, two years in the central and two years in the south.  Then start the rotation over again.  He's right that a rotation could help build up more momentum and fan base around the team state.

Thank you Mr. McCormick for all your work in getting this done for the kids.

We may be seeing the beginning of a problem...

The event is growing rapidly in terms of participants, spectators and relevance. However, the financial growth and support needed to continue to run the event at establishments that can meet these rising expectations has apparent;y has not had the growth it needs.  Lack of finances has doomed many things, and hopefully we can find a way that Team State, or the luster and appeal of Team State,  does not fall in that category in the near future. 

It could always be held in 3 different locations. 1a, 2a, & 3a.......each being held in a different place in state.....north, mid and south.   giving multiple locations chances to hold these tournaments.  Also, you could rotate the class sizes around each year in different places in the state......

It could always be held in 3 different locations. 1a, 2a, & 3a.......each being held in a different place in state.....north, mid and south.   giving multiple locations chances to hold these tournaments.  Also, you could rotate the class sizes around each year in different places in the state......

Unfortunately, this guarantees that attendance stays limited to virtually just the fans of the teams.  The event will grow into itself financially when it becomes a big crowd draw for people outside the participating teams' circles.  FW Coliseum is a nice step.  The convention center or pepsi coliseum would be ideal for the long run.

Ft. Wayne may have a nice place? But having this event in a far corner of the state is not right.

I think there's some misunderstanding about Ft Wayne's distance and accessibility.  Just as Seymour, for example, is much closer to the center of the state than Evansville, FW is much closer than say downtown Chicago, even though they both fall under the "north" label.

Car driving times according to Google Maps for these 3 destinations coming from the 36 schools of the State Duals for next year:

Indiana Convention Center (Indy):

Average travel time 1:32; Median 1:20; Max 3:20

Fort Wayne Coliseum:

Average travel time 1:57; Median 1:50 (3 teams over 4:45; 33 teams under 3:15; 28 teams under 2:20)

Ford Center (Evansville):

Average travel time 3:39; Median 3:29 (16 teams over 3:50)

In short, the average driving time added for being in Fort Wayne as opposed to Indianapolis is 25 minutes for next season's field of 36 teams.  It is not a "far corner" compared to some true "far corners" in our state.

I personally will be more than happy to make the trip to Fort Wayne or anywhere that is graciously willing to put on a great event. I can't speak for all central Indiana residents, but I think that most share this view. We are truly blessed to have many great events here in Central Indiana. So if we need to travel a weekend or two.... I'm good. Can't wait for to see this great event.

I think there's some misunderstanding about Ft Wayne's distance and accessibility.  Just as Seymour, for example, is much closer to the center of the state than Evansville, FW is much closer than say downtown Chicago, even though they both fall under the "north" label.

Car driving times according to Google Maps for these 3 destinations coming from the 36 schools of the State Duals for next year:

Indiana Convention Center (Indy):

Average travel time 1:32; Median 1:20; Max 3:20

Fort Wayne Coliseum:

Average travel time 1:57; Median 1:50 (3 teams over 4:45; 33 teams under 3:15; 28 teams under 2:20)

Ford Center (Evansville):

Average travel time 3:39; Median 3:29 (16 teams over 3:50)

In short, the average driving time added for being in Fort Wayne as opposed to Indianapolis is 25 minutes for next season's field of 36 teams.  It is not a "far corner" compared to some true "far corners" in our state.

I'll let my bus driver know that is is "only an average of 25 minutes longer" when we arrive home at 3 AM Sunday morning. 

I would like to hear from an Indy-area school on why they don't want this event. I, for one, would KILL to host this...and so would my parents/booster club. 

Is getting the ISWA involved a possibility? They are already equipped to handle this sort of event.

Let's contact Purdue & IU and ASK them what they think? It would be recruiting in their back yard! 

I'll let my bus driver know that is is "only an average of 25 minutes longer" when we arrive home at 3 AM Sunday morning. 

I would like to hear from an Indy-area school on why they don't want this event. I, for one, would KILL to host this...and so would my parents/booster club. 

Is getting the ISWA involved a possibility? They are already equipped to handle this sort of event.

Let's contact Purdue & IU and ASK them what they think? It would be recruiting in their back yard! 

What facilities are there that can hold 10-12 mats that EVERYONE can view at once without portable bleachers? Purdue has a fieldhouse, but the seating there is not close to the action and there would still need to be lots of portable bleachers brought in. I don't know about Indiana's facilities, nor do I of Butler's. 

If we want this event to grow we need a facility that you can view all the mats and we aren't in separate gyms. There are very few of these types of facilities in the WHOLE state. On top of that, there is even a smaller number that are feasible financially. 

What Y2 Said

Brownsburg COULD host it but it would limit growth and I am sure that the 1a teams who have to wrestle in our Wrestling room would not enjoy themselves. Not to mention Seating and Facility concerns. We would make a killing but is that really better for the sport/event? I agree the Pepsi Colluseum is the best centrally located venue. Our next goal should be ways to raise funds be it sponsorship, fundraisers, etc.  I know I would be willing to do a Men of IndianaMat Calander with Y2, Triple B, TSkin, OntheRise, and other board celebrities. 

If your small school has the facilities to be able to host this kind of event, then consider yourself very lucky.  I am at one of the newest buildings/schools in central Indiana that is also really big (6A in football).  My 2 gyms combined can barely fit 10 mats with almost no seating.  My aux gym only has a few portable bleachers, and my main gym can only hold 3 mats with seating or 4 mats with 1/4 the seating.  Schools simply don't have the mega-arenas that used to be built.  

The problem isn't about not wanting to host it.  The problem is having the facilities to do so.

I agree with Y2 that holding this in the right type of arena could make or break the event's popularity and growth.  It would be nice to have a centrally located place that's consistent every year, but until that is found, it will have to float around a bit.  The IHSWCA isn't out to screw anyone, and I'm sure they are open to all kinds of new ideas to help the event in the future.

When people say "Lets ask _________  (insert venue)"  does that mean "have someone else ask___________" ?

Just wondering.

Trent McCormick is a worker.  When he sayed he called everyone, he literally called everyone.  he didn't want to take it that far north, but when nobody takes hosting it, or just can't host it, he made the event happen. 

Another one I have liked is "Lets host it at the convention center or pepsi collesium" - that takes some revenue.  I for one was not going to put it on my credit card and just hope to get the money back.  Maybe there is a coach out there willing to take the risk with their credit card?  Maybe one of you out there saying "Let's" is willing to do that?

"Lets" get a financial backer for this" - again, there is the "lets"  when one says this do they have the financial backer for that?  if they have it, please bring it forward.  If they have the sponsor, please bring it forward.  "We" (the IHSWCA) would love to have it! 

When someone says "Let's" I hope that means your going to jump on board and help trent find the venue, and the backing.  he works his butt off to do this for kids around the state, and I am happy he does it.  it would not happen, or have ever happened without Trent McCormick.  While I was president I got a nearly daily email on what schools or venues he called, what questions he asked them, and what the pros and cons were.  Much of the time it was him taking off school to drive to another city to see the venue.  So, when he says this is what we can afford, and this is what will fit comfortably.  He researched it. Thank you trent!!!!

"Let's" help him out, if you have ideas - please pursue them and then help him out.  Quit saying "let's" and say "I", it is a much better way to volunteer your time, rather than volunteer someone else's time.

Soap box over.  And no Tyson, I didn't just have a mental breakdown.  Just feel I can voice now and leave the back lash to you :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.