IHSWCA Team State at Fort Wayne Complaints/Suggestions

alcorntr

As the school that will have THE LONGEST drive of any team there I feel compelled to object and ask why Trent/IHSWCA?! That will put our travel time OVER 5 hours one way. Not too mention how late it puts us home the following day. It is so far we may face having to turn it down because our school corp. won't allow the trip.

Why can't this be held in Indy?

I am begging schools like Warren Central, Avon, Brownsburg, etc. PLEASE STEP UP AND HELP US down south!

We loved this event, but why does it keep moving FURTHER north?

Please help...anyone!

Thank you for your time.

Tim Alcorn

Mt. Vernon wrestling

1.  I all but begged all of the large Indianapolis area high schools last year to host; and none of them wanted to do it.

2.  The Ft. Wayne Coliseum will be a little more suited for our event than what Ball State was.  The event's spectator count grew from 1200 in 2013-14 to 1800 this past season.  The spectator numbers have steadily grown each year.

3.  The Ft. Wayne Coliseum is one hour and 30 minutes north of Muncie.  (i.e. - an hour and a half further than what you drove last year).

4.  Certainly, when an event is moved to one of the extreme ends of the state, someone is going to have a farther drive and be out a little more time and gas money.  You will not be required to miss school though as schools will be on their holiday break.

5.  We could certainly look at hosting the event in 2016-17 in the Evansville area, but then the 30+ schools from central and northern Indiana would likely complain about the drive they have.  (i.e - we will likely never please everyone)

6.  The Indianapolis area would indeed be the most logical selection for this event, but the large high schools don't want it, and the event simply isn't quite big enough to be able to afford the convention center.  If the event keeps growing, maybe the Indianapolis convention center will be an option in the future.

The FW coliseum is a great venu for this. I would guess it will remind a many of the old timers of Market Square. Also there are plenty of places to stay, restaurants, lack of traffic, and a great mall down the street for the women folk. Understandably the 5 hour drive will not be fun, but give it a shot and see what you think.

Thanks for the opportunity!

At Fort Wayne the expansion is next to unlimited. On top of that you can align the mats where you can view EVERY mat at once or at least a good section of the 12+ mats. They also will have the concession and restroom capabilities that BSU did not.  Hopefully the positives will outweigh the negative of the extra distance for some teams.

Trent- not a shot at you. I greatly appreciate ALL the work you and the IHSWCA put into our sport year round.

It is not feasible to host this event in Evansville. That's not what I want at all. I wouldn't dream of inconveniencing the northern or central Indiana teams by asking them to drive 5-6+ hours to compete.

My plea is to central Indiana teams. Why does no one wants this?! I would KILL to host this event.

I'm not doubting FW's facilities. I would love to "give it a shot and then see what I think." My point is my school corp could say NO because the trip is too far and we would get home too late. I'm sure FW will do a great job of hosting...but the fact is adding "only" another hour and a half could be a deal breaker for some southern Indiana schools...like us.

3.  The Ft. Wayne Coliseum is one hour and 30 minutes north of Muncie.  (i.e. - an hour and a half further than what you drove last year).

It's true that it takes 1.5 hours from Ball St. to the ft. wayne coliseum...but if you're coming up 69, the trip the coliseum is only extended by 45-55 minutes for everyone coming from the south (because you don't have to get off the highway to go over to Ball St., of course). 

alcorntr: according to Google Maps, which tends to be quite accurate with estimated travel times, it will take you exactly 5 hours from Mt. Vernon, compared to the 4:15 from last year.  I know with larger vehicles, this gets extended a little, but I hope this 45-55 minutes doesn't make or break your school's decision. 

Even if the event were back at Westfield high school, it would take you 3:45 to get there...it's only adding 1:15 to even that venue because of how fast 69 is and how accessible the coliseum is once you're close.

6.  The Indianapolis area would indeed be the most logical selection for this event, but the large high schools don't want it, and the event simply isn't quite big enough to be able to afford the convention center.  If the event keeps growing, maybe the Indianapolis convention center will be an option in the future.

I am going to go with the old Y2 adage.  "If you want it to be the Super Bowl, treat it like the Super Bowl."

Not saying you are doing anything wrong, just found the adage always interesting.

It's true that it takes 1.5 hours from Ball St. to the ft. wayne coliseum...but if you're coming up 69, the trip the coliseum is only extended by 45-55 minutes for everyone coming from the south (because you don't have to get off the highway to go over to Ball St., of course). 

alcorntr: according to Google Maps, which tends to be quite accurate with estimated travel times, it will take you exactly 5 hours from Mt. Vernon, compared to the 4:15 from last year.  I know with larger vehicles, this gets extended a little, but I hope this 45-55 minutes doesn't make or break your school's decision. 

Even if the event were back at Westfield high school, it would take you 3:45 to get there...it's only adding 1:15 to even that venue because of how fast 69 is and how accessible the coliseum is once you're close.

Our bus drivers by corporation limits are not to exceed 60 mph. Dumb I know, but not my call. We also have an unwritten rule that limits how far north we are allowed to drive, Ft. Wayne is on the brink of that. My google estimation was 5 hrs and 7 minutes. Factor in two pit stops and we're getting close to 6 hours. Google maps also does not take into consideration the times you're on highway 45 behind a semi truck doing 35. Corporations don't talk in terms like "you could make it in___ hours if you hustle". They look at the time estimate and total miles.

Also I'm taking into consideration what time we will drive home. Last year we got home at 1 am Sunday morning. Now it will be between 2-3 AM. I'm just not a fan of making kids ride 5+ hours when it's not a summer tourney or somewhere we're getting 8+ duals.

I'm guessing places like IU, IUPUI, Wabash, or UIndy already turned us down?

Wabash's facilities would not be able to handle the crowd.  We were at capacity at Ball State this past season. 

Thought I had it worked out with UIndy last year.  Their wrestling coach said he really wanted it; but their facility director did not want to be bothered with the extra work load.

IU, nor Purdue, were explored.  To be honest, assumed that they would be too expensive for their facilities that could hold such an event.  For years, Purdue's wrestling program had to hold their own wrestling camps at St. Joe College because Purdue was simply too expensive and/or other logistical barriers.  It was tricky enough working out the finer points of the event with Ball State (which was right in my back yard)  IU and Purdue could be options to explore in the future if we can afford them (and if they will work with us).  It has been my experience over the years with the larger universities (and some smaller ones too) that there are layers and layers and layers of people and red tape to navigate in utilizing their facilities.  It can be quite tricky, and frustrating, to negotiate and come to terms with them.

The Mat Mayhem seemed to run smoothly at the FW Coliseum and the Coliseum is somewhat "wrestling friendly" as they host a semi-state already.  They are good with our wrestlers bringing in their coolers during registration along with other small details that are wrestling specific.

I do understand the hardship that this can put on a team.  I certainly don't want, or mean, to discredit the travel distance concerns.  Some of these issues (in today's society) do come down to specific school corporation policies.  Some schools won't allow their teams to go out of state; some have a capped travel distance due to financial constraints; and there are many other "school specific" limitations placed on coaches.  I guess I don't have a good answer that would solve all of those type of challenges across the state.  (Coach Alcorn -- specific to your case... I would not want to ride a big yellow bus for 5 hours either.  Does your corporation have mini-buses?   If not, would they allow you to rent vans?  Just a thought to try to speed your trip up.)

Ball State was an option again for next year, but it was very, very taxing on our (Yorktown) wrestling program as we supplied 9 mats, 11 portable bleachers, and other finer points of the event.  The Yorktown wrestling program did get compensated for the use of the mats and bleachers, but someone had to organize, haul, lay down, tear up and haul back all of that equipment.  Again, it was extremely taxing on our team to compete in the event and supply the said equipment over the holiday's.  If we would have had to use Ball State again next year, I would have made it happen, but it was not my first choice.

We will see how the FW Coliseum pans out this year.  It could very well be that the event will grow to a point where we can indeed afford a blue-chip facility in central Indiana and/or attract sponsorships to support a large, central Indiana facility.  I am serious when I say we could look at facilities in the Evansville area.  If the price is right, and other logistical necessities fell into place, I think it would be awesome to bring our event to southern Indiana for a year.  I certainly don't want anyone to think that we don't appreciate our programs in the south.  I assure you that no one is intentionally trying to make life difficult for our wrestling programs in the south.  Things have come together nicely (so far) in securing the FW Coliseum, so that is the direction we went for next season. 

Coach McCormick

Thought I had it worked out with UIndy last year.  Their wrestling coach said he really wanted it; but their facility director did not want to be bothered with the extra work load.

I am not discrediting you at all Coach McCormick.  I just find it odd that the facility director did not want to be bothered with it; as the facility director is the assistant wrestling coach.  He also allows Indy Nationals in the building the day after Individual State.  Again not discrediting you at all, just found it surprising as Bob is typically very willing to help the wrestling community.

e-mail from Mr. Brubeck below (April 7, 2014)

- I was very clear in my request that the IHSWCA, and its constituents, would provide the manpower behind the event.  All they

would have had to provide are the custodians, a "go to" person/liaison (Coach Warthan agreed to fill this role) and a technology

person in case we had technology issues.

-  I asked that they shoot me "double time" rates for their custodians and holiday rates for their facilities.  I simply wanted a starting point

where we could start negotiations and possibly come to an agreement.  They did not want to talk numbers.

-  I am not questioning their integrity.  I know they are good people.  They just didn't want to bother with our event given the dates.

========================

"Hello Trent,

In regards to your event on either 12-27-14 or 1-3-15 we have done a good bit of discussing the event. The January 3rd date is not possible due to other happenings on campus, basketball games. The December 27th date is not possible due to timing, size, campus being shut down, and ability to staff University facility needs that day. The needs of this event are too great to discuss rental fees at this time.

I am willing to discuss future needs. I apologize and best of luck in your search."

Thanks,
Bob Brubeck

Assistant Athletic Director for Facilities and Game Day Operations
Assistant Wrestling Coach
University of Indianapolis

Edited by Coach McCormick

I am very excited about the new venue. 

I also don't see anything wrong with alternating Fort Wayne and Evansville, if that is a possibility. That would satisfy both sides and make for an interesting format. 

I think that this would be awesome...........would the Ford Center be able to hold the event?

I think the coaches that show up at Avon this weekend should get together and decide if Avon could host. Avon would do it, if it had time to prepare. Not sure Avon was asked? Ft. Wayne may have a nice place? But having this event in a far corner of the state is not right. Even if they have good hot dogs. If they can't get get a central big HS for next year, it should move to the Ford Center. That would make many coaches work very hard to get it centrally located. 

The IHSAA doesn't always hold their State Finals in a central location.  

Boys and Girls Track State Finals: Bloomington

Boys and Girls Cross Country: Terre Haute

Volleyball: Muncie

Gymnastics: Muncie

The Fort Wayne Memorial Coliseum has hosted the Girls Basketball State Finals in the past.  

I feel like the venue is crucial for this type of event.  The Coliseum is a great venue for this event.  I don't think that a high school is the ideal venue for an event of this nature.  I understand that travel is an issue and a concern, but this is really a huge step forward for this event.

Look here is the bottom line.  I have never gotten to watch a Team State because of distance and family obligations.  Now that it is in FW and the school I am associated with is planning on helping.  I am now obligated to go and help.  Everyone else can complain all they want.  But me personally I am selfishly excited.  Sorry Mama Gorrilla.

I think the coaches that show up at Avon this weekend should get together and decide if Avon could host. Avon would do it, if it had time to prepare. Not sure Avon was asked? Ft. Wayne may have a nice place? But having this event in a far corner of the state is not right. Even if they have good hot dogs. If they can't get get a central big HS for next year, it should move to the Ford Center. That would make many coaches work very hard to get it centrally located.

I'm literally peeing my pants reading the hypocrisy of this. 2 hours and 45 minutes for its Avon Calling to get to Ft. Wayne. Yet they have no problem demanding everyone else come to their place?!??! Please read this board for the past few weeks and catch up.

And the Collesium is a great venue.

Oh, the horror! Avon will have to get hotels rooms. Give me a break. Join the club.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.