Article: #Wrestling Wednesday Feature: Purdue Ready for NCAA Championships

Y2CJ41

Brought to you by EI Sports

Posted Image

By JEREMY HINES

jerhines@cinergymetro.net

When Tony Ersland took the job as Purdue University’s head wrestling coach he knew it would be a challenge to compete in arguably the toughest wrestling conference in the country. He embraced the challenge.

Ersland’s Boilermakers finished the season ranked in the top 25 in the country. Purdue finished with a dual record of 10-8 overall and 3-6 in the Big Ten. Eight Boilermaker wrestlers will compete in the NCAA National Championships this week, starting Thursday.

“There were a lot of positives for us this year,” Ersland said. “This was my first year in the program with the kids. We set the foundation for how we are going to operate. Overall, I’m happy with the progress we made this year.

Ersland comes to Purdue from Nebraska, where he was an assistant coach for the past eight seasons. He has coached several top wrestlers, including Craig Brester who was a two-time NCAA finalist and a Big 12 champion.

“Craig is one athlete who is near and dear to my heart,” Ersland said. “He started out as a walk on at the University of Nebraska. Then he became a two time All-American. He’s the type of athlete that makes coaching worthwhile. He poured his heart and soul into wrestling. He was a special wrestler, and his work is what made him that way.”

Purdue’s Danny Sabatello, Brandon Nelsen, Nick Lawrence, Doug Welch, Patrick Robinson, Chad Welch, Patrick Kissel and Braden Atwood will all be competing in the NCAA Championships.

“Our goal is to have national champions and All-Americans,” Ersland said. “That’s the mindset we are going in with. We want to go in and perform at a high level. We’ve wrestled outstanding competition all year long. The Big Ten is a brutal grind. It’s like SEC football. We’ve had four out of the top five teams in the country in the Big Ten.

“It’s extremely competitive. It’s tougher sometimes to win in the conference than it is in a national bracket. There are no illusions going into the national tournament. You know exactly what you need to do.”

Ersland likes the quality of wrestlers he has been able to look at in Indiana. He feels that there is great talent in the state.

“Purdue is in the middle of a great wrestling state,” Ersland said. “Indiana turns out a lot of good talent and we want to see those wrestlers stay at home. We don’t want the Jason Tsirtsis out there to look elsewhere.”

When asked about Indiana’s high school tournament format, Ersland said he prefers to keep a one-class system.

“Personally I like the one class tournament,” Ersland said. “I can understand a two class format as well. But as far as evaluating talent, I really enjoy the one class. You don’t end up with a watered down system.

“I think Michigan’s system sort of waters it down. They have four classes and that’s too many. One or two tops is the way to go.”

Ersland is married to wife Carolyn. They have twin sons, Jaxon and Mason.

“They will always have a wrestling partner,” Ersland said of his sons. “My hope is that they will fall in love with the sport as much as I have. But right now they are just four years old. They love to come to practice and watch the guys roll around. I try to get them in bed, but sometimes they just want to stay up and watch wrestling on T.V.”

The NCAA championships begin at noon on Thursday in St. Louis.

Click here to view the article

When asked about Indiana’s high school tournament format, Ersland said he prefers to keep a one-class system.

“Personally I like the one class tournament,” Ersland said. “I can understand a two class format as well. But as far as evaluating talent, I really enjoy the one class. You don’t end up with a watered down system.

“I think Michigan’s system sort of waters it down. They have four classes and that’s too many. One or two tops is the way to go.”

None of the class wrestling pundits are going to bite on this comment?  Last week, 30+ plus pages of debate, today nothing.  It's the Wednesday before Spring Break I could use some semi-entertainment....!

Edited by vito pepperelli

None of the class wrestling pundits are going to bite on this comment?  Last week, 30+ plus pages of debate, today nothing.  It's the Wednesday before Spring Break I could use some semi-entertainment....!

He's also a DI coach. Our system, classed or not will have little affect on his recruiting. He's going after pretty much only state champs. Ask a DII or DIII coach who is looking for more than just a state champ and looking for those diamond in the rough type of kids. 

Reading about his story about Craig "the walk on" makes him sound like someone that is looking for "those diamond in the rough type of kids". 

Brester was a 2x state champion with a record of 141-4 on his career. Note the words STATE CHAMPION. If you call state champions diamonds in the rough, then so be it, but pretty easy to spot a diamond when he is a state champion.

Brester was a 2x state champion with a record of 141-4 on his career. Note the words STATE CHAMPION. If you call state champions diamonds in the rough, then so be it, but pretty easy to spot a diamond when he is a state champion.

You are somewhat correct.  I should have looked it up than I could have qualified his watered down statement.

Nebraska Wrestling (Howell, where Brester is from is in D1) which is one of the smallest classes. There were only 2 other 2 x state champs at 171 that same year from Nebraska. 

Largest------Class A  Josh Marcum

----------------Class B Joe Janovich 2x State Champ

----------------Class C Taylor May    2x State Champ 

Smallest-----Class D Craig Brester  2x State Champ

High schools in Nebraska are assigned into classes that are determined by the size of the school's enrollment. From largest to smallest, Nebraska high school activity classes are:

• AA (used only in music)
  • A
    • A1 (unofficial)
    • A2 (unofficial)
  • B
  • C – in certain activities, divided into:
    • C1
    • C2
  • D – in certain activities, divided into:
    • D1
    • D2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.