138: #16 James

138: #19 Cash

152: #14 Forte

160: #11 Hughes

195: #6 Rypel

220: #17 Woods

285: #9 Streck

285: #20 Oglesby

It's interesting to compare this number of ranked guys to where we are at in top-level college wrestling.  This list suggests we have 11 of the top 280 guys in high school.  We're going to have 9-10 of the 330 NCAA Division I qualifiers, plus an NAIA national champ, a JUCO national runner-up, and a real shot at 3 NCAA Division III national champs (those small-school finalists tend to be at quality-levels in line with about #20-50 for DI, based on college open tournament results).  So it seems our rate of top high school talent is about the same as our rate in college right now (which you would expect, although we hope that we're moving up the ladder some). 

It's interesting to compare this number of ranked guys to where we are at in top-level college wrestling.  This list suggests we have 11 of the top 280 guys in high school.  We're going to have 9-10 of the 330 NCAA Division I qualifiers, plus an NAIA national champ, a JUCO national runner-up, and a real shot at 3 NCAA Division III national champs (those small-school finalists tend to be at quality-levels in line with about #20-50 for DI, based on college open tournament results).  So it seems our rate of top high school talent is about the same as our rate in college right now (which you would expect, although we hope that we're moving up the ladder some). 

The thing is these aren't the same kids that were ranked from Indiana out of high school.

For whatever reason we don't have representation from guys like Jarred Brooks, Kyle Ayersman, Isaiah Bradley, Mitch Sliga, Ethan Raley, Eric Roach, Drake Stein, Cody Phillips, and Sean McMurray. 

The thing is these aren't the same kids that were ranked from Indiana out of high school.

For whatever reason we don't have representation from guys like Jarred Brooks, Kyle Ayersman, Isaiah Bradley, Mitch Sliga, Ethan Raley, Eric Roach, Drake Stein, Cody Phillips, and Sean McMurray. 

True, but we can probably make the assumption that with any 4-year snapshot group of high schoolers, some will move up unexpectedly and others will drop out of the picture for various reasons by 4 years down the road.  We've had about this same number of guys ranked nationally in high school for the last several years, so you might assume our college impact will be about the same for the next few years.

Edited by maligned

11 ranked guys and over 1/2 of them coming back next year is pretty good.  Lots of other good young talent that could move into the rankings as well.  

We could be on an upswing - It will have to be seen if this batch's success carries over into college.

I do believe this year we had the least number of senior state champions in history - the future looks bright

11 ranked guys and over 1/2 of them coming back next year is pretty good.  Lots of other good young talent that could move into the rankings as well.  

We could be on an upswing - It will have to be seen if this batch's success carries over into college.

I do believe this year we had the least number of senior state champions in history - the future looks bright

Back in 2012 I thought we had one of the best senior classes in history, I think the class of 2016 might be just as good or better.

In 2012 we had Brooks, Todd, Petrov, Campbell, Ayersman, McKinley, Jackson, Tsirtsis, Harvey, Mappes, Lynde, etc.11 seniors won state that year!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.