Sean Mappes and others

Wednesday at 1pm they will start releasing each bracket WITH the at large bids included. They do this via social media and on the NCAA wrestling website.

Here are the current Indiana natives with spots secured and potential at-large bids

125 Paul Petrov- Bucknell

149 Jason Tsirtsis- Northwestern

149 Branden Nelson- Purdue

157 Doug Welch- Purdue
165 Pat Robinson- Purdue
174 Sean Mappes- Tennessee Chattanooga
174 Chad Welch- Purdue
197 Braden Atwood- Purdue

Guys like

Brian Harvey, Cody LeCount, and Shabaka Johns could get in via the wildcards coming this week.

Brackets released:

#16 Petrov vs. Youtsey (Mich); winner potentially vs. #1 Waters (Mizz)

#2 Tsirtsis vs. Neff (Lehigh); winner potentially vs. #15 Clagon (Rider)

Nelson vs. #16 Racciato (Pitt); winner potentially vs. #1 Houdashelt (Mizz)

D. Welch vs. #7 Miller (Kent St.); winner potentially vs. #10 DeAngelis (Okla.)

Robinson vs. #13 Moore (N. Iowa); winner potentially vs. #4 Sulzer (Virginia)

Mappes vs. #7 Epperly (Va. Tech); winner potentially vs. #10 Martin (Ohio St.)

C. Welch vs. #16 Cousins (Wisc.); winner potentially vs. #1 Kokesh (Nebr.)

Harvey vs. #6 Storley (Minn.); winner potentially vs. #11 Brunson (Illinois)

Atwood vs. #4 Snyder (Ohio St.); winner potentially vs. #13 Woods (Wyoming)

Not a lucky draw in the bunch, IMO.

The only thing I'll say to that is that getting into the 8/9 or 7/10 quarter will always offer the best shot for an unseeded guy to sneak into the quarters.  In that regard, D. Welch and Mappes are not in awful spots.  They both would have 2 winnable matches if they meet both seeds in their quarter.  D. Welch for example, might think he should be one of the lower seeds and have an easier first round match--but that just guarantees he'd have to wrestle a top dog in the second round.

Edited by maligned

Well if you're looking bigger picture, things could be worse in a couple of cases, but I'm thinking of first 2 matches for our fellas.

Don't like nor understand tsirtsis' seed (very much like last year, which worked out ok). Also don't like nor understand Welch not being seeded.

Ok, gripes aside, I'm old enough to understand that there are seldom any easy roads to the top 8, so at some point you have to beat some heavy hitters. If we as indiana fans are being realistic, anyone outside of Jason making r12 is a massive success

Ok, gripes aside, I'm old enough to understand that there are seldom any easy roads to the top 8, so at some point you have to beat some heavy hitters. If we as indiana fans are being realistic, anyone outside of Jason making r12 is a massive success

I was trying to say the same thing...I meant to say that I like the idea of those 2 being in the 1/8th (not quarter...sorry!) of the bracket they're in.  The path to being an All-American is far and away easier when you can be in the quarters.  Losing first or second round leaves you with 3-5 matches to win in the conso's--with at least one of those against a top 8 guy the majority of the time.  However, if you can find a way to win the first 2 and be in the quarterfinals, you're already guaranteed top 12 and you've got two shots at being an All-American--and the majority of the time that second match is against someone BELOW top 8. 

With that in mind, the 7/10 or 8/9 four-person mini bracket-eighths are the path of least resistance.  If Welch is a 15 or 16 seed, he's a slight favorite in the first round and only about a 1 in 10 shot to win second round (about 5% overall odds at reaching the quarters because of the second round hammer).  As it is now, knowing who he's beaten in the year, he's about a 40/60 or 45/55 underdog in both of the first two rounds--but his overall odds at reaching the quarters are much better at 15-20%. 

Edited by maligned

Don't like nor understand tsirtsis' seed (very much like last year, which worked out ok).

It is really strange.  It makes no sense that Joe wrestling fan knows he beat Houdashelt last year (they can't use that in seeding), but they have to stick to their rigid system.  Even so, I'm not sure how Tsirtsis having one loss against the #4 national seed and Houdashelt having a loss against an unseeded guy doesn't give the #1 nod to Jason.  By the way, that unseeded guy is a travesty of a situation too.  How can they not make adjustments so that guys like Kindig or Hunter Stieber get at least low seeds despite the uncertainty of their injury situations?  Kindig vs. #3 Habat in the first round is an embarrassment to whoever wrote the rules.

It is really strange.  It makes no sense that Joe wrestling fan knows he beat Houdashelt last year (they can't use that in seeding), but they have to stick to their rigid system.  Even so, I'm not sure how Tsirtsis having one loss against the #4 national seed and Houdashelt having a loss against an unseeded guy doesn't give the #1 nod to Jason.  By the way, that unseeded guy is a travesty of a situation too.  How can they not make adjustments so that guys like Kindig or Hunter Stieber get at least low seeds despite the uncertainty of their injury situations?  Kindig vs. #3 Habat in the first round is an embarrassment to whoever wrote the rules.

Even if we don't understand the Tsirtsis Seed, I think he has a much easier road to the finals than if he had gotten the 1 seed.  His semi finals opponent is likely going to have wrestled at least two top 8ish opponents before even getting to he quarters...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.