ISWA teams selection question....

First I would like to state the ISWA is doing a lot of great things and has great leadership.

I happened to agree completely with the qualification process for Freestyle/Greco State.

Even if you dislike freestyle/Greco, your wrestler needs to know when a throw is coming (to defend) even if he or she never offensively attempts a throw. (see over under throws countered beautifully with a Metzger)

Anyways back to question.

Why does the older kids like Cadet/Juniors earn a spot based on result in Freestyle State and Greco State for Indiana traveling teams to Fargo and other places and the Schoolboy/Novice age kids have a wrestle off type tournament with no coaches allowed?

I am pretty old but when I was on the traveling team back in the ancient days, we qualified by placement at ISWA state.

Our Indiana youth traveling team included Lance Ellis, who should be on the short list of best thrower ever from Indiana. The kids in his weight class at out of state tournaments had no idea about our throwing machine thanks to the lack of the interwebs.

Edited by takedownartist

ISWA Schoolboy Freestyle/Greco State placement is used for School Duals Team

IHSWCA Middle School State placement is used for Middle School National Duals Team

And I think it would be really hard to use ISWA placement for K-6, because...

If you use the top 2 at 75lbs your going to have 2 at PeeWee, 2 at Bantam, 2 at Interm and 2 at Noivce...who do you take on that team at 75lbs? You cant just pick 2 kids, they would need to wrestle off for Team A or Team B for Heartland Duals.

Edited by DLane

As stated, schoolboys duals is picked by state placement for FS/Greco. As well as cadet, junior duals to a degree and Fargo team.

Other than ms national duals which is picked off placement at MS state, the only team other team that is supported by the ISWA would be the elem team that was picked this past weekend by wrestle

offs and anyone could have wrestled off.

I believe I am correct on all of these.

Sorry I should off been more specific.

For instance the Heartland Elementary Duals Indiana team just had their wrestle off tournamnet last weekend.

Since it is 6 grade and below, usually it is loaded up with sixth graders and you just take the top 2 wrestlers for a team and b team.

It is not far away for Indy area kids but other areas of the state has to make special extra trip for this wrestle off tournament.

Why not use ISWA folkstyle state for placement based selection process, it is the following weekend.

I understand the area and travel delima but I don't think you could use folkstyle state results. How would you pick the best 75 lber when there are multiple age groups involved.

You cant just pick the oldest age group because there could be a younger kid who is better?? Limited solution other than wrestle offs??

Why not use ISWA folkstyle state for placement based selection process, it is the following weekend.

The ISWA results wouldn't yeild a clear results for a Elementary Duals based on the best wrestlers 6th grade and below.  For one many of the top 6th graders would be in an age group with 7th graders, and possibly be eliminated early enough from the ISWA event that they would not even be considered for the Duals Team.  Then with the rest of the ISWA age groups only consisting of 2 grades depending on their ages fall (6th/5th, 5th/4th, 4th/3rd.....) you will not geat a clear top kid or kids from those groups either.  One way of another a seperate event would need to take place either during the ISWA weekend or at another time.

Only thing I could think of for people not to travel as much. Would be to hold wrestle offs Saturday night the weekend of PW-Novice ISWA State at Ben Davis. Would allow anyone traveling for ISWA state to already be here

But on a side note, who would really want to wrestle all day on Saturday and turn around and come back a wrestle again. Not only the ISWA staff and officals have had a long day too and they have to come back on Sunday morning

Thanks for all the comments and questions above.  The Team Indiana (elementary) selections have been debated back and forth over the last few years and all of the reasons listed above were factors in why the team is selected the way it is.  Clearly anytime you have a system there is always some people who like the system and some who do not think the current system is the best.  I do think to try to select the best team the wrestle off's are the best manner to do this.  The only downfall is the travel aspect of things and to try to find a location most suitable for the entire state it works out best that the central part of the state is what has been determined as the best option.

The bigger issue that we have is that we are not getting 100% commitment and buy in from all teams, coaches and academies around the state to send their best kids to try to build the team going to Heartland to represent Indiana.  Other tournaments during the same weekend have taken away some kids that should have been trying out for Team Indiana so we can attempt to position ourselves in the best place possible and compete with other state teams like Minnesota, Iowa, PA and the Kansas teams.

My charge to the state of Indiana wrestlers, coaches and parents is to send and or bring your kids (6th grade and below) next year to the tryouts.  We are still in the works for the location of these tryouts next year and will get more information to you at a later time.  It is going to take all of us to try to put Indiana Wrestling at the top as a strong contender so lets all pitch in please.

Thanks for the above information.

It helps me better understand the situation.

There is no clear cut solution and the ISWA is doing their best for the kids.

Since I can't offer any suggestions, I will make sure not to complain again about the current set up.

It clearly takes a lot of work and time by volunteers behind the scenes to help elevate the level of Indiana wrestling.

I appreciate their efforts in the sport that is teaching our kids about life.

Just a thought.

Has it been discussed to rotate the tryouts? One year central Indiana, one year an hour or so north of Indy, one year an hour or so south. It does not have to be at the extreme end of the state.

A few years back, folkstyle state was held at Huntington North. I believe Bloomington also hosted a few state events, Please correct me if I am wrong.  

Maybe the ISWA can set a rotation for some of their meetings as well.

This may bring together the divide that seems to be out there right now between the north, central, and southern parts of the state.

I have attended several state events, elementary duals state, and ISWA meeting,

For me, it sure does get old driving to Indy all the time.

This is something that is and has been discussed.  The issue becomes finding a venue to hold the tryouts at that is willing to let us use the facilities for no charge.  This is why we have gone with the last 3 locations (Indian Creek, LN & Perry).  I would be willing to take any and all offers to host the tryouts from say Lafayette to Bloomington and all areas in between.  If we can get some sort of interest would I not be oppossed to having some sort of a rotation set up from year to year.  The past years we have always charged $10 per wrestler to tryout and that money goes towards paying the 2 licensed officials and buying lunch and drinks for the them and the table workers.  The remaining money then goes to the hosting venue/club. 

So with this being said please feel free to contact me at the number listed below if you have access and want to offer up your wrestling room or gym for the tryouts and we will see where we go from here.

This is something that is and has been discussed.  The issue becomes finding a venue to hold the tryouts at that is willing to let us use the facilities for no charge.  This is why we have gone with the last 3 locations (Indian Creek, LN & Perry).  I would be willing to take any and all offers to host the tryouts from say Lafayette to Bloomington and all areas in between.  If we can get some sort of interest would I not be oppossed to having some sort of a rotation set up from year to year.  The past years we have always charged $10 per wrestler to tryout and that money goes towards paying the 2 licensed officials and buying lunch and drinks for the them and the table workers.  The remaining money then goes to the hosting venue/club. 

So with this being said please feel free to contact me at the number listed below if you have access and want to offer up your wrestling room or gym for the tryouts and we will see where we go from here.

You didn't leave the number. I'll message you.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.