No love for the north

Didn't we already try making tournaments mandatory.  It isn't like this is a new concept.  This concept was in affect during the last 10 years (at least), up to a few years ago. 

Being a complete troll here but I agree.  It would seem that some outside the box thinking might be needed.

Obviously the current way of doing things is not growing Freestyle/Greco. I'm sure that the ISWA is trying to build these styles as USAW is the governing body of Olympic wrestling. If you watch the worlds you know that we are not where we should be. We produce athletes but we are not at the same level as the Russians, Iranians, etc. in order to be the best something has to change. It needs to start at the grass roots level. I'm with Skinner. If this doesn't change numbers then I'm open to something else. Maybe more Freestyle/ Greco big names coming to RTCs? Something has to change at the coaches level too. Meaning, I think many coaches could care less about FS/Greco but if you can get a state title, cool! I feel like that is the attitude of many.

Edited by Justin Ratliff

Making it MANDATORY to attend a local tournament or two is not going to make things better

Making it an incentive to attend a local tournament or two...will do more

For instance instead of making it mandatory, give $5 off registration if you attend a local event, $10 for two. Then take that extra money and divide it up with the clubs that host local tournaments.

Let's say 800 kids are at freestyle state

400 do two tournaments

200 do one($1000 extra)

200 do none($2000 extra)

That's $3000 to divide amongst the 15 or so clubs that host tournaments.

Everybody should just mark your calendar April 10 and 11 Perry Meridian Greco-Roman and Freestyle tournament. Get two tournaments out of the way at one time. Plus we always have kids traveling in from out of state so definitely going be some good wrestling.

Does that count as a qualifier for freestyle state if you do Greco?

For some reason I thought at the ISWA annual meeting, that Greco will not require 2 tournaments. I don't remember if a greco participation would be acceptable for freestyle or not. I just remember them saying to qualify for Freestyle state a wrestler will need to participate in two freestyle tournaments.

Edited by sslaymon

Is there any way we could make the freestyle season more than 5 weeks?

Amen! I've said this many times. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Indiana was a hold out and didn't host a folk style state for many years. Back then we were a pretty good FS area imop . Then USAW stepped in about 2000-ish? and forced the ISWA to host a folk style State. FS used to start the day after IHSAA State. But by USAW forcing ISWA to have a folk style State, FS was backed up 3-4 weeks post-IHSAA tourney. I think we lost a lot of freestyle momentum because of that change by USAW. Imop, USAW saw those larger folk style $$$$ and short sightedly destroyed its own pipeline. That isn't ISWAs fault.

Personally, I'd like to see each section have a sectional to qualify for FS State. Just one man's opinion.

I love the fact we are trying to make FS better. Just don't agree with the tactic of two local tourneys.

Edited by WaltHarris

What about dividing the state up into 4 regions and having a qualifieing tournament for state. Top 8 wrestlers advance to state. Local clubs could rotate thief regional, or work together and split any profits. They could use local tournaments from their region as a seeding tool for their regional tournament. This would get atleast more wrestlers to wrestle in a freestyle tournament other than state because they would have to qualify... It would also be an incentive for more local tournaments in a region because of seeding point possibilities...

I also like Y2 statement about using money as an incentive....people due love to save money...or the appearance of saving money...

Man i see all this and just think about all the hours i used to spend in the car traveling to indy and so on every single weekend just to find competition at these local tournaments. In fact we traveled one weekend from Angola IN all the way to EMD for their tourney.

Man i see all this and just think about all the hours i used to spend in the car traveling to indy and so on every single weekend just to find competition at these local tournaments. In fact we traveled one weekend from Angola IN all the way to EMD for their tourney.

Well luck for all of us now, because it has changed so much.  Being sarcastic of course, why fix whats broken just break more.

Well luck for all of us now, because it has changed so much.  Being sarcastic of course, why fix whats broken just break more.

It's just the American way... I want the best and I want it now...

What if attending X number of FS/Greco RTC's and participating in 1 tournament could qualify a wrestler for state?

I actually submitted this idea to the ISWA for consideration earlier this week, but I have not heard back from them yet.  Hopefully, I'll hear back soon...

Edited by teammills

I ask because I'm not sure but does one have to wrestle a state series to qualify for central regionals? If not, why? If the US is deficient at worlds wouldn't USAW want to mandate that so as to improve the quality of the US teams? Maybe they should mandate entry into 2 state series....I kid, of course.

• 1 month later...

I just looked at all of the tournaments from this weekend and each one had 1-2 wrestlers in my son's division/weight class.  So in order to participate at FS/GR state, we have to drive to 2 of these tournaments, pay an entry fee for the wrestler and the family, and just get 1 or 2 matches quick matches?   Can't we just mail the ISWA or a club a donation check instead?  This seems like a major waste of time for the older kids and I believe the Junior Division will have even less wrestlers participating at state because of it. 

My Jr wrestler would have been the only entrant in his weight in Portage. He said he didn't want to waste his time on a gorgeous Saturday just to get a FS tourney in and not actually wrestle. When brought up that he now won't qualify for ISWA his reply was "oh well I will go to Central Regional". Not sure if that's possible or not if he doesn't enter state or not.

I've heard rumors of wrestlers entering and not showing up just to get qualified. Not sure if that's true but how is ISWA monitoring that? Also upon entry thru Track for state, how are the 2 qualifying tourneys going to be verified? Will someone be allowed to enter, drive to Indy then be told the kid is ineligible?

It is sad...very sad.

Edited by UncleJimmy

One kid this weekend broke his hand previously and wasn't cleared to wrestle. So he donated $40 basically to get his name on the brackets so he can "get a tournament in." I guess that is what it has come down to, which is sad.

It is hard to believe that they would not have a petition process for a wrestler in this situation, but I guess they fear they would have people use that to skirt their rules.  I just feel that Cadets and Juniors should just be able to go to State.    In this day, and age, where there are alot of complaints about specialization a rule like this seems to penalize kids who want to be involved in other things like track and baseball yet still participate in wrestling.  It also places a burden on people because tournaments are not spaced out so people can get to a tournament easier.  With Easter, and many schools having two weeks of Spring Break, it also puts people in a bind because of family plans and such.  This is just my opinion, and it was my opinion when I used to be on the ISWA Board.

Edited by Coach Peck

Many schools have been in session on Saturdays due to snow make up.  Is there any provision for these kids? 

I like the idea of attending a certain number of RTCs in order to qualify. 

I understand and appreciate the intent of this new rule.  It was slow to get out (at least for me) and will now mean that Indiana will have less participation in wrestling.  Not more. 

As an aside, I am not sure there is a real appreciation by some for those who do not live close to Indy.  I am certain those in the center of the state are tired of hearing this, but the cost and time associated with travel to Indy is significant.  I know our family travels to Indy at least 6 weekends a year for wrestling.  I think this type of mandate will cause (and is causing) less participation from outside Indy since many must travel to Indy to just qualify for state.   

In my humble opinion, we should try to make it EASY to go to freestyle/Greco state.  Beg people to come to state.  More participation the better.  Be inclusive not exclusive.  Give a state meet discount to kids that attend multiple local tourneys and clubs that bring multiple kids.  But don't exclude a kid because they (usually the parent) can't make it to two local tourneys. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.