Which HS has the most dominating middle school.

RoughNeck

Avon has split schools...Avon North and Avon South.

Avon North hasnt wrestled Perry, but Perry won Grizzly Super 12 and Avon North finished 7th there

Avon South wrestled Perry in a dual, and Perry won

Middle School State Team Results:

1st - Perry (24 wrestlers) with a 1st, 4th, 4th, 4th, 6th, 7th, 7th, 7th, 8th

2nd - Avon (13 wrestlers) with a 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 4th, 8th, 8th, 8th

Not trying to be a smart you know what, which I can be at times, but where is the disconnect between the middle and high school at Avon?  Or is this a recent development where the middle school talent has yet to hit the high school halls? 

Avon was a legitimate top 10 or 12 team this year and has gradually been climbing the ladder the last several years (and they're not THAT far removed from some very strong teams in the last 15 years, including a state runner-up finish in 2004-05 in the old ihsaa team state format). They're not chopped liver as a program at all. 

But also, one of the guys talking on another thread said he felt their incoming 8th grade class is "the best in the history of Indiana."  I'm sure that's not true, but it does tell you how strongly they feel about the unusual nature of how good their young group is. 

Edited by maligned

Thanks for the info, I guess since I've never looked at wrestling as a "team" sport and have concentrated more on individuals, I never realized they had finished as the runner-up on 05' or that they were a top 10-12 team this year. I've been to last 8 state finals in a row and the memory is not as good as it used to be, but has Avon had any individuals push for a title or win one over the last 10 years? I'm sure having Cathedral, Perry, Warren Central, and other powers in that general area doesn't make it easy to keep all the home grown talent at Avon. I'm making no accusations, I'm not from that area, just pointing out that if you build it they will come, and there are some powerhouses in the Indy metro area. 

Thanks for the info, I guess since I've never looked at wrestling as a "team" sport and have concentrated more on individuals, I never realized they had finished as the runner-up on 05' or that they were a top 10-12 team this year. I've been to last 8 state finals in a row and the memory is not as good as it used to be, but has Avon had any individuals push for a title or win one over the last 10 years? I'm sure having Cathedral, Perry, Warren Central, and other powers in that general area doesn't make it easy to keep all the home grown talent at Avon. I'm making no accusations, I'm not from that area, just pointing out that if you build it they will come, and there are some powerhouses in the Indy metro area. 

Lynn Panko, 2005 Indiana State Champion at 215 with a record of 49-0 as a senior. This was the last champ they had...right at 10 years ago

Edited by DLane

I think based on this years Middle School State results for Avon:

80 lbs - 2nd was 8th Grader, 4th was 6th Grader

85 lbs - 1st was 8th Grader, 8th was 6th Grader

95 lbs - 1st was 8th Grader

125 lbs - 1st was 8th Grader, 8th was 8th Grader

132 lbs - 1st was 8th Grader

140 lbs - 8th was 8th Grader

Helm 160 #3 and Elmore 182 #8 were in the first group of little kids that Coach Blevins started to coach. Coach Blevins has had Larson since K. Larson last year was the first SQ Freshman in school history, since 1968, and he did it at 220. Larson was 5th this year as sophomore. Miranda was the 2nd kid in school history to be SQ as a Freshman. He also has been in the program for a long time. Now Avon's BEST class will be showing up next year. And there are several behind them. Coach Blevins hard work will show up in the next few years. 

This senior class were not even kindergartners when ARon Bright and Sam Ruff started club in 2000. I met Kevin Helm in the wrestling room that next year, Quinn and Brenden already knew each other from preschool. From there with Kevin doing the coaching and me taking on the parents, we took over the smallest kids in the club and made a concentrated effort to get every kid in their grade that we could to come out for wrestling. With in 5 years we had almost 150 kids signed up Coach Williams had taken over HS program at that point and Kevin joined HS staff as well as coaching little guys. We really took off after that runner up season for the HS we built on that team concept as well as Lynn's state championship. Had some dads who were willing to give their time (Rassbach, Luce, Kaiser, KAlishand now Brewer, McLain and countless others) was not over night success and the elite clubs helped us take our club to another level, when Ryan started Contenders a lot of our really good kids went to him because he was training year around and catered to the advanced kids where we were still showing basics. My goal in the early days was to make sure the kids didn't bring home the basketball sign up sheets from school cause wrestling was more fun. When Blevins came on broad the club was doing well and he jumped right in and has made sure that we continue to move forward. The last five years have been very rewarding from my stand point of being involved when my son was sometimes the only Avon kid at a tournment to now when we generally have 20-30 kids wrestling every weekend. Can't be done with out the moms and dads who are willing to give their time and efforts. The future is very bright and with the continued efforts of Coach and his staff and the parents who have stepped up and the ones who will down the road Avon should be claiming a team and some individual titles in the years to come.

This senior class were not even kindergartners when ARon Bright and Sam Ruff started club in 2000. I met Kevin Helm in the wrestling room that next year, Quinn and Brenden already knew each other from preschool. From there with Kevin doing the coaching and me taking on the parents, we took over the smallest kids in the club and made a concentrated effort to get every kid in their grade that we could to come out for wrestling. With in 5 years we had almost 150 kids signed up Coach Williams had taken over HS program at that point and Kevin joined HS staff as well as coaching little guys. We really took off after that runner up season for the HS we built on that team concept as well as Lynn's state championship. Had some dads who were willing to give their time (Rassbach, Luce, Kaiser, KAlishand now Brewer, McLain and countless others) was not over night success and the elite clubs helped us take our club to another level, when Ryan started Contenders a lot of our really good kids went to him because he was training year around and catered to the advanced kids where we were still showing basics. My goal in the early days was to make sure the kids didn't bring home the basketball sign up sheets from school cause wrestling was more fun. When Blevins came on broad the club was doing well and he jumped right in and has made sure that we continue to move forward. The last five years have been very rewarding from my stand point of being involved when my son was sometimes the only Avon kid at a tournment to now when we generally have 20-30 kids wrestling every weekend. Can't be done with out the moms and dads who are willing to give their time and efforts. The future is very bright and with the continued efforts of Coach and his staff and the parents who have stepped up and the ones who will down the road Avon should be claiming a team and some individual titles in the years to come.

This is exactly what it takes. It all starts with having a great coach, but if you truly want to be a top level program it takes a community of solid families willing to support, promote & actively participate in the program. This is what Mater Dei has had for decades now. I am from Evansville (not a Mater Dei alum) and have witnessed it first hand. The commitment their families have to the sport of wrestling is phenomenal and Mike Goebel is truly one of the best coaches in Indiana wrestling history, & Greg Schaefer is becoming a good one in his own right.

I will say that I was thoroughly impressed with Avon at the Evv SS this year. Commitment & hard work breeds success & sustained success breeds tradition, but the sustaining part is the hardest. Developing a tradition takes a true community commitment, a few individuals will not be enough. Good luck to Avon in the future, Indiana can always use a new program to rise up & raise the overall level of the sport in our state.

Is there a button to dislike an entire thread ?????   

just Kidding, should be great fun over the next several years watching all these elementary kids and middle schoolers some day joining together to make up High School Teams and battle it out against each other !!!   Future is definately bright in IN and Hendricks Co !!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.