Stop Booing!

jchas

I will say this. It is up to the Ref. to legislate the rules of the sport.   I may not like

some of the rules.  But they are what they are.   A few minor rule changes would stop

some of the timeout issues.

As far as booing goes.   We now have Moms, Dads, and Grandmas booing some of the

best wrestlers in our State.   What is worse it was on Fox.   I don't know about the rest of you,

But I found it embarrassing.   So I still have to say... Just STOP!

Stay Classy Indiana

I will say this. It is up to the Ref. to legislate the rules of the sport.   I may not like

some of the rules.  But they are what they are.   A few minor rule changes would stop

some of the timeout issues.

As far as booing goes.   We now have Moms, Dads, and Grandmas booing some of the

best wrestlers in our State.   What is worse it was on Fox.   I don't know about the rest of you,

But I found it embarrassing.   So I still have to say... Just STOP!

Stay Classy Indiana

You can't stop people from booing dude.  It happens in every sport at every level.  It is mostly aimed at refs but every once in awhile it is at the athlete.  Yes, maybe the athlete does not deserve it all the time but there are certainly cases where it is warranted.  Stop acting like such a baby and pretending you've never booed anyone.

You can't stop people from booing dude.  It happens in every sport at every level.  It is mostly aimed at refs but every once in awhile it is at the athlete.  Yes, maybe the athlete does not deserve it all the time but there are certainly cases where it is warranted.  Stop acting like such a baby and pretending you've never booed anyone.

Once again,  This post shows.   You are that guy!   And no I have never booed a high school wrestler.

I have yelled at the Ref.  a few times.  OK more than a few.  But my comments are more direct than a boo.:)

Like most things in the world there are extremes in both ways.  There are people that are known for calling injury time when they are in trouble of being scored on or gassed in a match.  Fans have a right to Boo, because they paid money to come into the event.  I might not agree with the fact that they are booing, but that is like saying I don't agree with what team they are cheering for.  Welcome to the United States, where we have the choice of being a butt head or not.

No one ever said we don't have the right to boo.   We have the right to do a lot of things,

that we choose not to do.  All I am saying.  If you have any class at all.  You will not boo

a 14-18 kid.  It has gotten completly out of hand.  Boo all you want... Just know if you do.

You are that guy!

Stay Classy Indiana

Edited by jchas

If you say.......We push a fast pace wrestling style.  I personally think it is great when someone that is tired stops the match, because acid builds up in their muscles and makes them slower. Plus I know that we have broken the wrestler!!!!  I personally think it is classless for coaches and wrestlers that abuse the system by calling injury time also.  So, know if you abuse injury time......YOU ARE THAT GUY!!!

side note jchas.............your use of anchorman quotes is also starting to get "out of hand"    LOL

I woundering about that.   I will stop before I get booed!  Just seemed to fit really well with this

topic.    

By the way.  Congrats on your son making it to the finals!

If you say.......We push a fast pace wrestling style.  I personally think it is great when someone that is tired stops the match, because acid builds up in their muscles and makes them slower. Plus I know that we have broken the wrestler!!!!  I personally think it is classless for coaches and wrestlers that abuse the system by calling injury time also.  So, know if you abuse injury time......YOU ARE THAT GUY!!!

I agree with you completely on that one.

Most/loudest Boos I have ever heard were when the last BD Giant to win a state title (x2) was wrestling.

Cameron Smith, arguably the best athlete to ever step foot on a wrestling mat in Indiana, was known for "getting injured" frequently. The crowd voiced their displeasure, but he still took home the hardware a couple times.

This was in the early 90's....so here we are 20+ years later and people are still booing high school kids. Unfortunately, some things are never gonna change.

1993 State Finals never seen someone get Booed like Cameron Smith, this was the same year I think Chris Lytle had nasty cut over his eye almost couldn't advance because they couldn't get it to stop bleeding, which I think had some influence on blood time/injury time.

Edited by wwatson

1993 State Finals never seen someone get Booed like Cameron Smith, this was the same year I think Chris Lytle had nasty cut over his eye almost couldn't advance because they couldn't get it to stop bleeding, which I think had some influence on blood time/injury time.[/size]

I remember the blood time. I think it was Lytle's semifinal opponent, Chad Blacketer (from Pendleton), had blood all over his singlet from Lytle's wound.

How tough are wrestlers?! If most high school kids sustained these types of injuries (Lytle, Harvey, Elijah Dunn, Conner James) they would be out for a month...wrestlers just wrap it up and immediately get back after it.

I personally have no problem with the fans booing.  I do think that high school needs to go to the NCAA rule of first injury time is choice for the other guy.  This would reward the opposing wrestler for a lot of the situations listed above.

Anytime you get 10,000 fans in one place, there will always be the "mob mentality".  As long as a few people start booing, the rest will follow just off of pure instinct.

The argument that these are 14-18 year old kids, and we shouldn't boo kids doesn't really hold up.  These are not just any regular kids.  These are elite athletes who we pay money to go watch.  Just because they are not compensated for their talents, does not make this any different of a situation than the NCAA or professional ranks, and we have no problem booing them.

No, one would have the chance to be tried as a minor, one wouldn't...

B/c minors aren't as mentally competent as adults.

I witnessed a wrestler at an event one time crying and extremely visibly upset, all he kept saying was "why were they booing me?" Should I have walked up and said "B/c they paid 10 bucks bud, suck it up like A-Rod, you and him are just the same"

I also witnessed Riley Akers put his hand to his ear and egg the crowd on when people were booing at the Merrillville Semi-State.

Gaige Torres reacted similarly in the finals at Merrillville while people were booing at the end against Truver.

One or two examples either way does not define all of the athletes.

These are elite athletes who we pay money to go watch.  Just because they are not compensated for their talents, does not make this any different of a situation than the NCAA or professional ranks, and we have no problem booing them.

Man,  You and the Troll must live right next to each other.   Must be something in the water up there.

You pay money so you should be able to boo who ever you want?  You might want to think this one threw a little more!

So where do we draw the line, then?    Is it a matter of paying admission?    Is it age?    If I attend an free event with adults competing, can I not boo?    If I pay admission to watch 7 year olds compete can I boo them? 

Edited by Galagore

Once the Booing starts it is gets really confusing who it is directed at.  I once officiated a HWT match at our conference duals (Triple B was a coach for one side) and I am quite sure that I got it, both sets of coaches got it, the 2nd official got it, one of the wrestlers got it, and Triple B's guy was probably the only one who didn't but by the end I am quite sure he felt like he got it.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.