Stop Booing!

jchas

Looks like I am leaving Indiana Wrestling in good hands.

There are at least 2 of you who vehemently defend their right to boo

young men who obviously wrestle so that guys like the Troll and RegionRoyalty

can be entertained.

Many times it is the action that is being booed, not the wreslter.. I do think there is a difference...

Booing blood or injury time shows frustration with stoppage of the match...

Finally some coherence! I couldn't agree more with this post. The refs should let the boys play!

I personally have no problem with the fans booing.  I do think that high school needs to go to the NCAA rule of first injury time is choice for the other guy.  This would reward the opposing wrestler for a lot of the situations listed above.

Anytime you get 10,000 fans in one place, there will always be the "mob mentality".  As long as a few people start booing, the rest will follow just off of pure instinct.

The argument that these are 14-18 year old kids, and we shouldn't boo kids doesn't really hold up.  These are not just any regular kids.  These are elite athletes who we pay money to go watch.  Just because they are not compensated for their talents, does not make this any different of a situation than the NCAA or professional ranks, and we have no problem booing them.

So where do we draw the line, then?    Is it a matter of paying admission?    Is it age?    If I attend an free event with adults competing, can I not boo?    If I pay admission to watch 7 year olds compete can I boo them? 

No help on the ettiquette request?   Is it because all posted were questions?   Should I make a declarative statment?  An exclamation? 

According to the all knowing Wikipedia, booing began as early as 6 B.C.  so good luck putting a stop to it.  Personally, I think the issue is way overblown.  In a perfect world kids wouldn't fake injury time, then miraculously "heal" and explode off the whistle for an escape. In a more perfect world, coaches wouldn't turn a blind eye to obvious efforts at gaining an unfair competitive advantage.  I don't know the ratio, but I am going to guess most acts that get booed are far more deserved than not. For every kid that gets booed for legit blood time, there's far more faking injuries, etc. because they are gassed. 

jchas, I get your point but part of me also thinks this is leading to the further sissification of America.... I'm middle aged now so maybe I'm getting cynical and tired of the "poor me" attitude.  You know the kind: "it's not my fault, somebody else made me do it."  Should we stop cheering for the winner because it might hurt the losers feelings?  Of course not, but it's really all the same message.  

Did I boo on Saturday?  Guilty as charged.  I booed the kid who faked an injury to attempt an unfair competitive advantage.  I booed the ref who allowed the kid to back up with 2 seconds left in the match after he'd already been warned for stalling and backed up with 7 seconds left.  And I booed the obese ref who was too lazy to get down into position to count near fall. And for full disclosure, I booed Jack Robinson West for fielding a team of ringers and no one can convince me those kids didn't know their actions were wrong. They cheated.  Period.

I know that's not a popular thing to say, but it's how I feel. In my opinion, there's just a little too much political correctness right now in this world.  I'm going to focus on my own shortcomings, and keep on supporting Indiana wrestling for as long as I can (and hope it stays classless!!).

Edited by vito pepperelli

Reading through the thread again I am struck by a different thought.  I don't think it is about sissification or political correctness. I think it is about self centered-ness.

The pro-booing statements often center around "I paid my money", "I have a right to" and "I am toughening them up".  These fans seems to think the competition is for them and about them. I have a different opinion. It is okay to have an unexpressed thought when watching other people compete.

You are not paying your money to the athlete in this case. You are paying the barely comprehensibly small sum of $8 to defray some of the cost of holding the event at an NBA arena. So do not use the payment argument as justification. Admit it to yourself and us. It is about you.

I'm at my daughters 7 yr old ball game. I'm booing the heck out of all traveling, ball hogging, and horrible shot selection.

I paid a dollar, I have a right!!

If you are still having to boo her at 7, it is obviously because your booing at 6 was not strong enough. We have all failed. I fear she has been coddled and America will suffer for it.

jchas, I get your point but part of me also thinks this is leading to the further sissification of America.... I'm middle aged now so maybe I'm getting cynical and tired of the "poor me" attitude.  You know the kind: "it's not my fault, somebody else made me do it."  Should we stop cheering for the winner because it might hurt the losers feelings?  Of course not, but it's really all the same message.  

Vito

I kind of get your thinking here but In this case.  I think it is more the...  act like a complete jerk and get my way,  thinking that is

running ramped today.   People are used to being able to say or do what ever they want.  I for one am tired

of the person who eats half their meal and then screams about how bad it is.  Just to try and get it for free.

Or the guy who talks crap and doesn't expect to get hit in the face.   I for one and sick of these people.

I guess the boo at a High School kid guy falls into that category for me.

Vito

I kind of get your thinking here but In this case. I think it is more the... act like a complete jerk and get my way, thinking that is

running ramped today. People are used to being able to say or do what ever they want. I for one am tired

of the person who eats half their meal and then screams about how bad it is. Just to try and get it for free.

Or the guy who talks crap and doesn't expect to get hit in the face. I for one and sick of these people.

I guess the boo at a High School kid guy falls into that category for me.

jchas, agreed but I would define that as a general lack of civility and common decency. I understand (and even appreciate) what TripleB and Newbie are trying to do, but is their sarcasm any less belittling than booing? In the end, cliche's ring true: treat others as you wish to be treated, act like you've been there before, there is no substitute for hard work, if it was easy everybody would do it....

jchas, I think you're joining the old man's cynic club :) I'll leave you with a quote from the Breakfast Club:

"C'mon Vern, the kids haven't changed, you have!"

Edited by vito pepperelli

jchas, agreed but I would define that as a general lack of civility and common decency. I understand (and even appreciate) what TripleB and Newbie are trying to do, but is their sarcasm any less belittling than booing? In the end, cliche's ring true: treat others as you wish to be treated, act like you've been there before, there is no substitute for hard work, if it was easy everybody would do it....

jchas, I think you're joining the old man's cynic club :) I'll leave you with a quote from the Breakfast Club:

"C'mon Vern, the kids haven't changed, you have!"

yes, it is less belittling because it is on an opinion board where everyone is choosing to post their opinions, not directed at high school kids trying to wrestle.

And let me be sure I understand this. You believe your booing teenagers prevents the sissification of America, but my sarcasm is belittling to you?

Edited by wrestlenewbie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.