Stop Booing!

jchas

When it comes to booing people loss sight of the fact that these are "youn"g men and not professional atheletes.  They are not getting paid to provide you with entertainment!!  They are not doing this because the pay is good.  Its done for the love of the sport and for those of you who resorted to booing please ask yourself how would you feel if it was your son/daughter or a child from your school  receiving this unwanted attention.  I'm pretty sure you would running to their defense!

Edited by Blacknight26

Booing a call is one thing.  But there were a ton of times when people were booing the kid.

How about in the 113 finanls when they booed Hilderbrandt for taking a timeout for a cramp?

He had nothing to gain or loose in that situation by taking time.  But people booed anyway.

Maybe we should go back to calling Refs.  Dumb>>>es.   That might work.

Is booing going to stop, nope. Injury time is being abused. Blood time might need to be shorten. Fix the problem when you first notice any type of blood. I don't agree with booing, but I also know kids are using injury time to stop the momentum. 

There's not much you can do about a kid that likes to take injury time to get a breath or change his situation, that would be trying to officiate ethics and it won't work. The multiple times where kids were getting booed for blood time was just stupid.

Halloween!

He could stall for 5 minutes and not get called and go on to win a state title by a point or in OT and feel like he actually deserve it.  I would boo that kid.  I am also booing this thread. Booo thread, Booooo.

I have to play devil's advocate here. What is wrong with stalling and then winning by a point in overtime? It seems to me that it is a viable (though boring) strategy. We may not find it terribly entertaining (actually got bored during some of the first few finals where it seemed no one wanted to take a shot and get caught making a mistake). But it is perfectly legal (to a point). And if it is deemed excessive by the ref, then there is a remedy proscribed by the rules.

What it seems to come down to is whether you personally think the ref should have administered the remedy. No one booed at Dean Smith's funeral or at the next NC basketball game even though he invented the four corners "offense". Given the rules of the game at the time it was perfectly legal. Since it was boring, they changed the rules. But, there is a key difference between top level NCAA revenue sports and high school sports. High School sports are not true big revenue generators with compensated athletes (and the courts are now determining the right level of compensation) like NCAA basketball.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but if an athlete uses his brain along with his brawn to win within the rules, then they should be applauded even if the win does not please our sense of aesthetics. 

Edited by wrestlenewbie

Justdoit135-

great post. I pulled the same thing in an offseason tourney one time. My high school assistant coach, who I greatly respected, came over to me on the side of the mat (as I was gasping for air like a fish out of water) and when he realized I wasnt hurt he got in my face and told me to get on the mat and that I wasnt going to do that stunt again. It made a big impact coming from my own coach...he valued the integrity of the sport over winning a few matches the wrong way.

In hindsight the 2-3 packs per day that I secondhand smoked probably didnt help my conditioning either.

I have to play devil's advocate here. What is wrong with stalling and then winning by a point in overtime? It seems to me that it is a viable (though boring) strategy. We may not find it terribly entertaining (actually got bored during some of the first few finals where it seemed no one wanted to take a shot and get caught making a mistake). But it is perfectly legal (to a point). And if it is deemed excessive by the ref, then there is a remedy proscribed by the rules.

What it seems to come down to is whether you personally think the ref should have administered the remedy. No one booed at Dean Smith's funeral or at the next NC basketball game even though he invented the four corners "offense". Given the rules of the game at the time it was perfectly legal. Since it was boring, they changed the rules. But, there is a key difference between top level NCAA revenue sports and high school sports. High School sports are not true big revenue generators with compensated athletes (and the courts are now determining the right level of compensation) like NCAA basketball.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but if an athlete uses his brain along with his brawn to win within the rules, then they should be applauded even if the win does not please our sense of aesthetics. 

So if a kid knocks on my door and is dressed as a ghost and "boos" at me am I supposed to not give he or she candy?  

Thank you for posting this topic. I agree completely. Had the misfortune of sitting in front of what I believe were Eastern Greentown fans for the finals and had a grown woman in the group whining and booing teenage kids for this and went as far as to accuse one (can't remember which kid it was) of ripping off a scab in the finals so that he could start bleeding. No place for that coming from someone who has no idea what these kids go through.

Most/loudest Boos I have ever heard were when the last BD Giant to win a state title (x2) was wrestling.

Cameron Smith, arguably the best athlete to ever step foot on a wrestling mat in Indiana, was known for "getting injured" frequently. The crowd voiced their displeasure, but he still took home the hardware a couple times.

This was in the early 90's....so here we are 20+ years later and people are still booing high school kids. Unfortunately, some things are never gonna change.

So if a kid knocks on my door and is dressed as a ghost and "boos" at me am I supposed to not give he or she candy?  

Perhaps a re-read of my post is in order. It would suggest that kid gets candy...and your begrudging respect. More importantly, if you choose trick, are you upset when they egg your house?

Perhaps a re-read of my post is in order. It would suggest that kid gets candy...and your begrudging respect. More importantly, if you choose trick, are you upset when they egg your house?

I usually make scrambled eggs out of them and give them out as treats, so no I am not upset at all.  I don't get upset when people boo at me because I'm not a hypocrite. 

There's not much you can do about a kid that likes to take injury time to get a breath or change his situation, that would be trying to officiate ethics and it won't work. The multiple times where kids were getting booed for blood time was just stupid.

College injury time rules

That's something that really got under my skin. Hildebrant took injury time in the 1st period, while he was on his belly. He was in no danger of giving up any extra points, nor could he be winded so early in the match... but some idiots thought he was faking it for some reason and decided to boo. There was even an idiot sitting behind me that said "he's faking it"

Thank you for posting this topic. I agree completely. Had the misfortune of sitting in front of what I believe were Eastern Greentown fans for the finals and had a grown woman in the group whining and booing teenage kids for this and went as far as to accuse one (can't remember which kid it was) of ripping off a scab in the finals so that he could start bleeding. No place for that coming from someone who has no idea what these kids go through.

There were some fans acting foolish

I don't think I agree with the, "booing is wrong, but something needs to be done about the injury time."  Seems to me that as the boos have increased, the seeming unnecessary injury time has has also increased...so booing doesn't seem to do much to fix that. 

My thought....what if you give up your stall warning if you take injury time?  Haven't totally thought it through, just kinda came to me in a brainstorm...

OK TripleB, I will take the bait. You are a coach and a highly visible, even respected part of the wrestling community.

Your best wrestler is on the mat at State. You tell me what he has to do the deserves getting booed?

Start screaming when he's about to get turned when he's really not getting hurt. This usually makes the ref stop the match (which they should) because its better to be safe than sorry, but it does not make it right for the wrestler to do.

I am in favor of changing the rules to give back points in this situation. But still don't like to see adult boo.

I agree but even back points isn't nothing if a kid was down 10. Or if it was a wrestler not even close to the one goin to his back but it coulda ended the match. I don't like booing either but there are a few circumstances to where I am OK with it. They are high school kids but they still know what they shouldn't do for the most part. Maybe lol

Many people were saying "BOO-URNS" just for the record...just sayin... 

Early in the season though I saw many wrestlers waving their fingers calling time for themselves....something I had not seen in previous years...refs stopped the action...I was upset that refs were stopping the action...as the season went on though it seemed as though coaches talked to their wrestlers and halted this.  Good call coaches.  This past weekend in Indy I might have seen a couple of these instances..but as matches went on it seemed as though the refs stoppages seemed legit.  Fans get heated...understandable...but it seems that it was something that was being seen all year long and was handled by coaches. Just remember..we are the only sport that has blood time....again...just sayin...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.