Stop Booing!

jchas

Nothing pissed me off more this weekend then hearing the crowd boo every time there

was injury time or any other little thing that they did not like.    You should be ashamed

of yourself if you boo a young Man in High school.   He is not out there for your enjoyment.

He is out there working his butt off to win the match.  By this time of year.  Almost everyone

of them are dealing with something, that most of you would call in sick and stay home for.

Stay Classy wresting fans.... Jchas out!

Thank you for posting this jchas! This has been aloud for too long! REFS can make some bad calls, they are human and can make mistakes. That's what coaches are there for to help the wrestler who gets the bad call reversed. Sometimes they will and sometimes they won't. But booing , chasing the kid and threatening him, posting pictures on social media of kids is uncalled for! Booing is the beginning and that's needs to be the starting point to stop this unsportsmanlike behavior!These kids work to hard to hear that! If you feel that there is a bad REF, complain to the association! Leave the kids alone!!! If someone is booing next to you ask them to please stop! Wrestling is an awesome sport ! Let's make it better!

Can I have an Amen? I was amazed that kids got booed because of injury. The attitude around me seemed to be "if it is my kid then it is legitimate. If it is anyone else then they are faking it and just looking for a little rest." Assuming you know anything about the internal thought process of the kids on the mat is just plain wrong.

And is it really likely that not a single kid you do not follow did not get injured? Because it sure seemed that was the assumption some fans (the poor sports) were making by booing every injury not related to their team or kid.

This all started when kids started taking injury time when they were gassing. So fans started booing. Then they assumed ALL injury time was for the lungs so booing increased. Now it's gone way too far and kids get boo'd for bleeding.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't see one kid making themselves bleed to get a break.

Ben Harvey/Dylan Lydy finals come to mind. Tons of boos for Harvey because he couldn't get his nose to stop bleeding, which I'm sure Lydy did anyways with how intense that match was.

This all started when kids started taking injury time when they were gassing. So fans started booing. Then they assumed ALL injury time was for the lungs so booing increased. Now it's gone way too far and kids get boo'd for bleeding.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't see one kid making themselves bleed to get a break.

Ben Harvey/Dylan Lydy finals come to mind. Tons of boos for Harvey because he couldn't get his nose to stop bleeding, which I'm sure Lydy did anyways with how intense that match was.

I would agree with this. We also need to stop the self injury times that a ton more frequent then they used to be.

I would agree with this. We also need to stop the self injury times that a ton more frequent then they used to be.

One has nothing to do with the other. 

Yes we need to do something about getting out of danger by calling for injury time.  But that has

nothing to do with adults booing a young man.  In my openion,  It should never happen for any reason.

Stay Classy Indiana

One has nothing to do with the other. 

Yes we need to do something about getting out of danger by calling for injury time.  But that has

nothing to do with adults booing a young man.  In my openion,  It should never happen for any reason.

Stay Classy Indiana

I totally agree that a young wrestler should never be booed.  I was booed when I walked off of the mat in the semi finals of semi-state by a school that I have nothing but respect for.  I still remember what that felt like and the anger that I had.

I just agree with the fact that the booing may have become more frequent (which I think it has) because of the self called injury times.  People start thinking it is acceptable and it snow balls.

I think the Harvey/Lydy boos were more about how Harvey seemed to keep backing up and Lydy got hit for stalling.  Then 10 seconds later Harvey backs up again and he gets hit for stalling.  Then Harvey backs up again and didn't get hit, but the match is stopped for blood.  Harvey was gassing and the blood time definitely could have helped him.  I think that's what most people were upset about.  Obviously the match has to be stopped for blood.  The same thing happened in the Parris/Osborn match except that resulted in Osborn winning  where it very well could have gone the other way had the match not stopped a couple times for blood.

You see it at every tournament. Sometimes even causing the experience for the wrestlers to be somewhat ruined. Boo'ing is awful in many ways, but that is how people show their disapproval for what is going on. It still has its pros dispite the cons.

Again,  this is the kind of thinking that blows my mind!   There are no pros.   Stop booing. 

No excuses,  no validation!

Stay Classy Indiana 

The excessive use of injury time must stop. There is a difference between being injured & being hurt or tired. As a wrestler you are going to feel pain and be fatigued to the point where you believe you can not go on; and then you will push further. That is part of what makes wrestling the greatest sport in the world. With that said coaches need to govern their wrestlers better than this.

Once in an offseason tournament I was losing 8-4 in the third period and i signaled for injury time to catch my breath. I was 14 at the time and had seen other wrestlers do this. It only lasted a few seconds but it was enough, as after the break I went on to win 12-9. My coach told me there was nothing honorable about what I did, and had me forfeit that match. He told me I was done for the day and I should reflect on why what I did was wrong. That was the only time in my wrestling career that i used injury time and the lesson hit home.

It taught me that in wrestling and in life you are often presented with an easy way out, and that the type of man you are is determined by what you do in those situations. I am just grateful that I had wrestling and those coaches who groomed me into the man I am now rather than the man I could of been without.

So unless you're in a situation like Jay Jaggers in the '08 NCAA finals, don't use Injury Time:

08NCAAFINALS0068.jpg

Booing is a touchy subject. I addressed this in the hangout. 

Maybe we need to develop a "Booing Ethics Code: When it's appropriate to Boo"

hahaha...

OK  TripleB,  I will take the bait.   You are a coach and a highly visible, even respected part of the wrestling community.

Your best wrestler is on the mat at State.  You tell me what he has to do the deserves getting booed?

Booing is a touchy subject. I addressed this in the hangout. 

Maybe we need to develop a "Booing Ethics Code: When it's appropriate to Boo"

hahaha...

Halloween!

OK  TripleB,  I will take the bait.   You are a coach and a highly visible, even respected part of the wrestling community.

Your best wrestler is on the mat at State.  You tell me what he has to do the deserves getting booed?

He could stall for 5 minutes and not get called and go on to win a state title by a point or in OT and feel like he actually deserve it.  I would boo that kid.  I am also booing this thread. Booo thread, Booooo.

In the hangout I went on a tirade about booing 14-18 year old kids. I also talked about sometimes we, has fans and posters, go overboard on here about how we talk about kids. 

Last year in the 3rd place match at 160 the fans booed a call in a match I was coaching. It was a no takedown call that got called after the whistle. In the heat of the moment it seemed like they were booing Partee for winning, when they were booing the ref for the initial no takedown call. I think times like that border on being okay, but still....

Never boo when wrestlers are on the podium, never boo when they are being interviewed (!!!) , never boo when they are getting their hand raised...

I found myself booing at the end of the Osborn/Paris match, I even got on here and expressed my feelings about the official. When the match ended I shut up. I did not boo when Osborn's hand was raised.

I'm just saying booing is going to happen, let's focus it at guys like GrecoRef and not a 15 year old kid who could have a backstory that none of us know?? (I joke, don't ever boo GrecoRef...he's an almost okay guy)

Edited by TripleB

TripleB knows about having a kid BBBBOOOOOOOODDDDDDDD out of a gym.   Worst situation I ever saw, and really felt bad for his coaching staff then.    But it is pretty funny now.

Randy, Madison kids get it honest...I was booed out of my home gym at Regionals my senior year... 

Halloween!

He could stall for 5 minutes and not get called and go on to win a state title by a point or in OT and feel like he actually deserve it. I would boo that kid. I am also booing this thread. Booo thread, Booooo.

dumbest post of the year. Nice work Troll. Edited by jchas

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.