The best (inspirational) story of the state finals

oldfat119

well i could not make  state this weekend for the first time time in 20 years,,,   so too thoughs of you that were there,,  what was your "best" story of the finals?    Congrats to al that wrestled hard and placed or made the show,   a lot of hard working kids do not make it,,,,,,   BE proud of what you have accomplished!!     Sooo   what story was the "best"?

A couple come to mind:

Hudkins rushing back from what probably should have been a season-ending hand injury, refusing to quit after hospitalization forced him out of the state finals last year.  Comes in ranked #5 and wins the deepest weight in the state.

Stevenson of Franklin refusing to take the state finals off when he's got a banged up shoulder and a newly torn ACL.  Even with a state championship already to his credit and such a small chance of success, he wrestles every single match with grit--even his wrestleback and placement matches that anyone with even a mosquito bite seems to default if they didn't reach the level they hoped.

I know nothing about wrestling and even I could tell what an amazing display of grit, guts, mental and physical toughness I was witnessing every time Stevenson took the mat. That he would always choose down and then crawl to the center told you all you need to know about his compromised body. But absolutely nothing would compromise his mind.

This wasn't a bad one about the success that can come despite some tough early results.

http://indianamat.com/index.php/topic/47723-geoff-davis/#entry206494

Two years ago, as a freshman, Geoff was your classic 85 pounder that went 3-30 at 106. Had a better sophomore year, but ended the second half of the year on JV and now is a state placer!

(4th place to be exact) Edited by MattM

I would throw Tyler Ferguson from Reitz in there as well. The kid is a warrior. Has been battling a back injury and came in to the state series with one match behind his belt. He improved each week in the series, finishing his career getting fifth in the state tournament. Got a pretty nice black eye to finish off his career as well.

Connor Knapp tore his meniscus friday night in a match with a tough Bethel who pinned Lee from brownsburg. (Connors only loss of the season) Despite this, Connor still managed to get the fall with a minute left in the third period losing 3-4. Saturday morning in the quarters connor won 13-0 and in the semis lost to Vaughn 5-3. Until this point he told no one of the injury including coaches, teammates, or family. Once he revealed what had happened and with the complete extent of the injury unknown, he forfeited his 3rd place match. With his quarter finals win he passed East Nobles state champion from 2009 Taylor March's 163 wins record. Over his career only two of his losses came to wrestlers who were never in a state finals match or a state champion. 4x qualifier and a 3x placer (4th,3rd,and 4th) and every year his weight class had a #1 nationally ranked wrestler or the Most outstanding wrestler at Fargo. He embraced the grind and never ran or dodged a tough weight class.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.