Merrillville Semi-State still tough in a down year

Powerline

I expected New Castle Semistate to be 5+ finalists ahead of everyone else, but the Merrillville Semi-state really impressed me today as I believe both NC and MERR have 11 finalists. Even in a down year, after the lost some generational guys, and some topped rank guys this year that didn't perform well, they still had depth to push guys through to the finals.

Team wise 1,4,5,and 7 is quite good.

Also in the Lee vs James match, kudos to the young Lee. However, I have no love loss for Meridian but IMO, James got screwed on the take down at the end of the 2nd/early 3rd at the edge of the mat; it Changed the complection of the match and you could see it in James. These refs are so inconsistent on out of bounds that I don't know what the rule is any more. But you have to overcome.

At 182, The Parris kid is tough, calling it now, next year's final, Parris vs. Davison of Chesterton

Maybe people will start to realize just how tough the Semi State at Merrillville really is. Seems like every year 1 of the other 3 semi states try to act like they are the best, proof is in the results of 7 State Champions.

Kind of hurts that Penn's Joe Mammolenti pins himself in the Semi's as I believe he would of won 170 .

Mammolenti was my pick as well, coming into hs I thought he would be a for sure champ, but this shows how hard it is to win.

I'm not sure that the rest of indiana really appreciates the dominance of the MSS. But then again, what would a reasonable person expect from a SS that contains da region?

To make it easier on the rest of the state, probably should let the other three semis combine for a "I won a state title only because merrellville was not in it" state title.

This is why "team state" is a joke. There is no possible way that perry, md or warren could hang with schools from da region.

I'm not sure that the rest of indiana really appreciates the dominance of the MSS. But then again, what would a reasonable person expect from a SS that contains da region?

To make it easier on the rest of the state, probably should let the other three semis combine for a "I won a state title only because merrellville was not in it" state title.

This is why "team state" is a joke. There is no possible way that perry, md or warren could hang with schools from da region.

But penn won and isn't from da region, and Cathedral won last year..

Sour grapes.

Mammolenti was my pick as well, coming into hs I thought he would be a for sure champ, but this shows how hard it is to win.

Joe Mammolenti  is an offensive machine , and sometimes that aggressive style has gotten him into some bad positions , like saturday . He then when on to dominate Cameron Jones of LN by fall(2:30) . Dylan Lydy (State Champ) only beat Jones 3-1 . Mammo then majored defending state champ Stevenson 12-3  . I realize Stevenson had a knee injury , but Jackson from Yorktown(3rd) only beat Stevenson by 1 point . I know I'm biased , but I trully believe Joe Mammolenti is better than Lydy and Harvey , We'll just never find out for sure . 

Edited by M109R

Joe Mammolenti is an offensive machine , and sometimes that aggressive style has gotten him into some bad positions , like saturday . He then when on to dominate Cameron Jones of LN by fall(2:30) . Dylan Lydy (State Champ) only beat Jones 3-1 . Mammo then majored defending state champ Stevenson 12-3 . I realize Stevenson had a knee injury , but Jackson from Yorktown(3rd) only beat Stevenson by 1 point . I know I'm biased , but I trully believe Joe Mammolenti is better than Lydy and Harvey , We'll just never find out for sure .

I agree with you, but I'd say I'm biased when it comes to joe also. Edited by NICfan

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.