Seeding the SS winner at State

I think this was touched last year.   But could we copy Ohio's method of seeding each district which would be semi-state equivalent in Indiana Based on pre-determined criteria.   The seeding is solely based on the winner of each semi-state.   Criteria would be  simply the highest ranking state placer gets the highest seed. The 1, 2, 3, 4 wrestlers would stay the same like now and wrestle the 4,3, 2,1 but would just follow the seed.

For example, Lets use 152 as example. 

Forte gets #1 Seed.  Based on only returning state Champ.

Kemper gets the #2 seed as a 2x state qualifier.

Van Camp gets the #3 seed as a 1x state qualifier.

Berkebiele gets the #4 seed with no state experience.

And as a result, all of the other wrestlers from the Merrillville bracket wrestle the Fort Wayne wrestlers.   And the New Castle group gets the Evansville group.   If we use this method, then you dont have bracket conspiracies/fiascos  like this year,  and you also are more likely to get the best 2 wrestlers in the state final.

Also could seed semi-state in the same manner.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

I like the idea in general, although the exact method you describe leaves out freshmen (no state experience...could be ranked #1 in the nation and get a #4 seed) and could leave significant gaps for the inevitable leaps that sophomores often make.  I'm guessing there wouldn't be too many coaches that wouldn't sign off on just going by IndianaMat rankings, as accurate as they are.

I like the idea in general, although the exact method you describe leaves out freshmen (no state experience...could be ranked #1 in the nation and get a #4 seed) and could leave significant gaps for the inevitable leaps that sophomores often make.  I'm guessing there wouldn't be too many coaches that wouldn't sign off on just going by IndianaMat rankings, as accurate as they are.

I would be for expanding criteria to head to head, but was trying to keep things simple.   Common opponent is kind of grey.   I think seeding based on national ranking or state ranking would never fly with coaches.   Freshman would be out of luck in the ranking unless you had a head to head scneario.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.