Expand Number Of Wrestlers At State

WaltHarris

Does anyone have statistics on how many wrestlers per weight class are at the state finals in other midwestern states?  Someone mentioned 32 in Kentucky.

I think this is a reasonable idea and fair compromise with the IHSAA.  Y2's thoughts on maybe shooting for 24 wrestlers first is pretty solid.  I hope the IHSWCA leaders consider developing such a proposal.  

I'm not too keen on the IHSAA, but I don't want to have a defeatest attitude and just stop proposing solutions all together. 

I think 16 is the norm, but these states have class wrestling.   I know Nebraska, Kansas,  Missouri, Iowa all qualify 16 per weight.     16 is a little easier number to work with than 24.    The problem with 24 is that some 8 people will get a bye in the first round.   I dont have a problem with that, but you know somebody would.

This is probably the best idea I've heard in years! Even at tiny M'ville ss you could wrestle 5-6th matches in the fieldhouse and not slow down the main gym.

This is a great way to grow Indiana wrestling. Why has no one suggested this before? The coaches association should go after this.

Btw, there are 84 D1 college programs and 32 slots at the NCAA tournament, so 38% make it. There are over 300 Indiana high school teams and if we expand state to 24 kids, less than 8% would make it to state.

If we expand to 32, then 10% make it. We would still be extraordinarily selective at qualifying for this achievement.

Btw, there are 84 D1 college programs and 32 slots at the NCAA tournament, so 38% make it. There are over 300 Indiana high school teams and if we expand state to 24 kids, less than 8% would make it to state.

If we expand to 32, then 10% make it. We would still be extraordinarily selective at qualifying for this achievement.

D1 college programs are extraordinarily selective in who gets into their rooms and even more selective in who gets to wrestle for them.

That's not an awful idea. Then we could wrestle the semi-state quarterfinal losers back to 5th/6th like we did for a couple years and have a preliminary round at state that puts 3vs.6 and 4vs.5. We would rarely miss out on having a top 5 guy at state any more just because of bad luck. With that configuration, we could follow Walt's original thought of starting at 2pm and keeping 4 mats. (I know you know all this, Y2; I'm just spelling it out for others.)

I've had similar thoughts to this possibility. And I think it is the type of proposal that the IHSAA might actually consider.

An individual with a good relationship with the IHSAA has spent time explaining to them how 8 mats could be put on the floor of Bankers Life. That opens up the possibility of doubling the number of matches on Friday night in the same amount of time. 24 wrestlers per weight could be run in 2 rounds with the semi state champs and runners-up with a first round bye and 3 vs 6 (winner gets a 2) and 4 vs 5 (winner gets a 1). More wrestlers in the same amount of time means more money for the IHSAA.

For semistate, we ask to bring back the IHSAA's own idea of wrestling to 5th/6th from the quarter final losers. At most, this would add about an hour or none if semistates were doing the semifinals on only 2 mats. Just use the other 2 mats for the consolation semis and wrestle a third mat during the finals for 5th place. Heck, don't even get them ribbons - they're just happy to have the chance to qualify for state. Plus they get to earn team points which could have impacted at least 2 semistate championships this year.

The only snag I can see is Merrillville's gym because they wouldn't be able to break down to 2 mats to add more seating after the second round. But it could be used as a push to finally move that semistate to a bigger gym. Just propose it while the pink lady is on vacation or something.

Overall, I think it could be a great plan that is feasibly acceptable by the IHSAA. Just imagine how exciting semistate would be... You still get the same ticket round where you win and you qualify plus you get semifinals that are more meaningful to earn a bye at state and we all get another ticket round side-by-side with the semis. And it's all with very little time added to either Saturday.

Expanding would make this more of a "team" title. Instead of Perry, MD, Cathedral, Penn, Portage, etc . . . sending 6-7 a year, now most of these teams send 10-12 to determine title.

Exactly! This proposal covers a lot of bases. Makes a lot of sense. A compromise on class wrestling. Makes team title more of an actual team assessment versus an all-star roster of a few studs. Creates greater opportunity for smaller programs. And gets more butts in the seats for more gate and concession revenue.

When I first saw 24 qualifiers I thought to myself "how stupid".   Now after reading more comments and thinking about it more, I am the stupid one.

I LOVE the idea that semi state becomes even that much more exciting as we get 2 ticket rounds (provided that we wrestle it like the 2nd round on at state and not a true wrestle back).   It makes the team title more of a team title because the teams with the best "team" will probably have more wrestlers at state, AND we MUST start scoring at the first round.  

I doubt this would EVER fly, but it is a GREAT idea.

24-man brackets like this would significantly affect the state finals round of 16 quality as well.  Because of how we randomly draw semi-state now, the 4's are more often than not advancing out of brackets that don't involve any of the top 4 guys at a given semi-state.  If we went to top 6 advancing, the 5's would be better than the 4's more than half the time and they would be better than even the 3's about 25% of the time (because the 5's would so often be semi-state Top 3 quality that lost to a fellow semi-state Top 3-quality guy at regional, then get drawn into the 3rd semi-state top 3-quality guy for the semi-state quarterfinals.)  It would make for some very interesting 1v5 matches in the state finals Round of 16 if we found a way to start bringing these guys.

I think this could be something the IHSAA could be sold on.  You start talking about extra money and opportunity and the IHSAA’s ears perk up. 

I’m NOT volunteering these three guys, but I think guys like these men could get the IHSAA to buy in based on their talent.  These are just EXAMPLES of the kind of people we should have collaborate on the idea with IHSAA, instead of others who may have had a disappointing experience in previous session with the IHSAA.

JD Minch- He has run high school state for five years for the IHSAA.  Is well respected.  Has seen every state since the Nixon administration.  If JD says it can be done, then the IHSAA would give that a lot of weight.

Danny Struck- I don’t know a single person who has a bad thing to say about Danny.  He is a heck of a nice kid. (He’s probably 35, so that’s a kid to me.)  A wonderful coach.  Deeply passionate about wrestling.  And very, very smart.  He also prepares as well as anyone I’ve ever met.  Danny would probably have more charts, graphs and plans for an IHSAA meeting than anyone you’ve met.

Tom Dolly- Has coached for years.  Been involved with ISWA.  Had a son who was a D1 wrestler and coach college.  Tom also loves to talk and is the world’s best salesman.  He could talk anyone into anything.  He has a great personality and knack for winning people over with humor.

I think if the IHSWCA sends three guys kind of like this to the IHSAA, they could get collaboration to move the needle for next year. (Once again, doesn’t have to be exactly these three.)

I like your idea's but you're missing the biggest aspect. The IHSAA will decide when and how we change if at all. The number of charts and logic is irrelevant at least under the current administration based on past attempts (see Team State). They control all the cards and will act when they are good and ready and we have to live with it.

That being said those are 3 of the biggest names in Indiana Wrestling. If they can't do it, it cannot be done.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.