Expand Number Of Wrestlers At State

WaltHarris

Just a little idea to toss out for discussion.  How about we expand the number of wrestlers at state to 32 per weight class?

We don't have class wrestling, which I am a supporter of.  So why not try to give more wrestlers an opportunity/honor of competing at state.  It would only be one additional round on Friday at like  2p.m.  Still wouldn't have to allow any wrestlebacks on Friday.  IHSAA could double the money in gate tickets. 

Schools would have to dismiss early or cancel to allow other students to attend the Friday night round 1 and I don't see the IHSAA sanctioning that. Even basketball couldn't get that approved. I'd rather see wrestle-backs at  regional and semi-state so that the 16 that get there are the best ones from each region and not the result of a fortunate draw.

You would need to start much earlier than 2pm. A round of 32 on 4 mats would take well over 7 hours (it is like having 4 full dual meets per mat).

And full wrestlebacks at semi state would take approx. 15 hours if you used 4 mats all day (3 mats during finals, 3rd/4th and 5th/6th). That's just wrestling with no breaks.

Expanding the numbers will do nothing. Wrestlers, coaches, and parents just need to start accepting the fact that the wrestler lost and didn't do there job of winning the match. It's as simple as that. Too many should of's, would of's, and could of's...How can we change the tournament so that my kid, or wrestler gets to state? This is where the participation ribbon mindset is starting to engulf the true competition of not only the state tournament, but any tournament in general.

In a dream world it would be like the KY state finals.  Modeled EXACTLY after the NCAA's if I am correct.  3 day event, 32 wrestlers, 6 sessions...a true celebration of our sport and the hard working athletes that we all respect so much.

But that would never fly.

I have wondered if the arena could hold 8 mats though?  like the NCAA's do in very simillar arenas.  If we could have 8 mats then we could expand the field and not use anymore time.

Pie in the sky dreams.  The IHSAA would never be interested in putting that much effort and thought into whats best for the kids.

I have wondered if the arena could hold 8 mats though? like the NCAA's do in very simillar arenas. If we could have 8 mats then we could expand the field and not use anymore time.

I guess they could always hold it in Lucas Oil with the NCAA Final Four seating arrangement . :)

timthumb.jpg

Edited by MattM

They could put down 8 mats . The NCAA puts down 8 every year.  Its tight on the floor but its not an issue.  It would add to an already amazing night to put 32 in each bracket.  They could run 8 mats Friday night and Saturday morning, eliminating wrestlers in rounds of 32 and 16 and keep same timetable.  Anybody who has seen the NCAA's live can tell you its an unreal experience for wrestling fans.  The round of 8 on the 4 center mats is ridiculous!   I would say attendance would not double but it would be better for sure.

since they are never gonna give us wrestle backs maybe this would be something new for the IHSWCA to start asking for??  Although this would fall on deaf ears also.  The IHSAA does not understand our sport and does not care to understand our sport.

I would work for something like adding 2 at each semi-state to bump us up to 24 first.

That's not an awful idea.  Then we could wrestle the semi-state quarterfinal losers back to 5th/6th like we did for a couple years and have a preliminary round at state that puts 3vs.6 and 4vs.5.  We would rarely miss out on having a top 5 guy at state any more just because of bad luck.  With that configuration, we could follow Walt's original thought of starting at 2pm and keeping 4 mats.  (I know you know all this, Y2; I'm just spelling it out for others.)

Place 6. Yea,  then we would have to give out 5th and 6th place ribbons to 112 more wrestlers even though they didnt earn it, and also have the false satisfaction of achieving something even though they didnt earn it.   These guys bedrooms would look like Gaylord Faulker's bedroom,  with their sixth place ribbons and participation certificates.  This would be another brick in the sissification wall of America.

Place 6. Yea,  then we would have to give out 5th and 6th place ribbons to 112 more wrestlers even though they didnt earn it, and also have the false satisfaction of achieving something even though they didnt earn it.   These guys bedrooms would look like Gaylord Faulker's bedroom,  with their sixth place ribbons and participation certificates.  This would be another brick in the sissification wall of America.

Tell us how you really feel, let it out please, don't hold it in.

Although i am not a fan of classed wrestling this arguement doesn't hold much weight. The fact is with the system the way it is there are always kids who lose in the ticket round that are good enough to go to state compared to some kids who actually qualify but because of draws they don't make it.

The 5th place underclassmen at state come back to do better than the 4th place underclassmen in the following season, on average.  It shouldn't be surprising, considering they go 3-1 against great competition while the 4th placers only go 2-2.  I'm guessing the same would hold true if we had the results available to study at semi-state.  We would find the semi-state 4th placers that have been advancing to state for all these years to be "less deserving" on average than a 5th placer who would be 3-1 and usually would have lost to a top-notch guy in the quarters.  (...I saw too late you were being sarcastic, but I'll keep the thought posted anyway.  I haven't been following the class and wrestleback debates closely enough to know who's who...:) )

Edited by maligned

Let's just go to a single elimination tourney all the way thru then. ..... no more places awarded except the champion.... that way we keep 'merica strong and don't become a hand me my participation ribbon push over society! sarcasm

I heard they use to do that in Indiana. Didnt they use to  have a  single elimination tournament.   Not a good idea of course.

Let's just go to a single elimination tourney all the way thru then. ..... no more places awarded except the champion.... that way we keep 'merica strong and don't become a hand me my participation ribbon push over society! sarcasm

How many time is someone going to say this today?  I know every one of you is be sarcastic, but try to be a little more original.  It's getting old.

Does anyone have statistics on how many wrestlers per weight class are at the state finals in other midwestern states?  Someone mentioned 32 in Kentucky.

I think this is a reasonable idea and fair compromise with the IHSAA.  Y2's thoughts on maybe shooting for 24 wrestlers first is pretty solid.  I hope the IHSWCA leaders consider developing such a proposal.  

I'm not too keen on the IHSAA, but I don't want to have a defeatest attitude and just stop proposing solutions all together. 

Edited by WaltHarris

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.