Wrestling Spectator/Fans...Most Consecutive State Finals in row

takedownartist

i haven't miss one since 1977. in 2002 my wife was pregnant with our 5th child. The due date was  in 3 or 4 days but being a Mater Dei grad I could not miss Weinzapfel versus tshirts so I drove up Saturday morning and drove back Sat. night. The ironic thing is that weinzy is now my son-in-law. Didn't see that one coming. 

#1 in the world, undisputed.

Possibly #1 Ohio.

1974 145 pounds Class AAA Mike DeAnna Bay High School

1974 145 pounds Class A-AA Leroy Kemp Chardon High School

Not knocking Ohio, if it works for them and their population (much > Indiana) then great. Just opposed to it in indiana.

FYI- Karl started it! Lol

Kemp got even with DeAnna by beating Mike's college coach at the 1975 Northern Open when the coach made a failed attempt at a comeback.

DeAnna also left Ohio for Iowa City and wrestled for the Hawkeyes. He was a 4x All American and many, including yours truly, consider him the best wrestler never to win a national title.

Having had the fortune (or misfortune) to attend several training camps and such with both of them I can attest that neither one was much fun to wrestle. Kemp was IMPOSSIBLE to score on. He could score when he wanted, he just didn't want to score often. A 3-0 lead for Lee was like a 10-0 lead for a mere mortal. DeAnna on the other hand would pound you into submission and then score. Had it not been for Mark Churella, DeAnna would have certainly been NCAA Champion.  Mike beat Churella in the finals of the Big 10's something like 16-14 in OT. Two weeks later Churella pinned Mike in the NCAA Finals  with one of his famous leg turns.

By the way, the coach that Kemp beat was some guy named Dan Gable....wonder whatever happened to him?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.