Wrestling Spectator/Fans...Most Consecutive State Finals in row

takedownartist

There is not much more exciting in high school sports than the finals.

I know that there are some long time die hard fans in Indiana.

How many years in a row have you gone?

What year did state get postponed and moved to another venue due to weather?

Has this happened more than once?

Too bad, AC.  That was a classic year...54 points scored in the first 2 matches, names like Doherty, Schaefer, Bradley, Leavell, Rosbottom, Harper, Carr, Talamantes.  And you call yourself a fan?  :) 

No, really, I know it's painful to miss.  Living overseas, I daydream every year on Wednesday and Thursday before state about how I could move my schedule around, book a flight, and get into Indy by Friday to go hang with everyone.  Have fun this weekend.

I have attended the IHSAA State Wrestling Finals every year since 1970.

1970-1973 high school - competed @ HW in 1973

1974-77  while @ Purdue University - I was on Purdue's team - but still made State Finals

1978-2010 while coaching @ North Montgomery HS - didn't always have a competitor, but I was there

2011-present - I have been the tournament director

I think that's 46 years?

1985 - meet was moved to New Castle HS - same year my daughter was born - my 8 month pregnant wife was with me!

Ohio doesn't count because you don't crown one champion per weight.  

Lee Kemp won his 2nd state title in 1974 and I STILL consider him the best wrestler ever to come out of Ohio. 3x NCAA Champion 3x World Champion. By the way, he won when there were 2 divisions and he won the smaller school division.

Lee Kemp won his 2nd state title in 1974 and I STILL consider him the best wrestler ever to come out of Ohio. 3x NCAA Champion 3x World Champion. By the way, he won when there were 2 divisions and he won the smaller school division.

Proved he was the best in the world, but didn't get the chance to prove he was the best in his state...what a shame.

Must have been a scrub in HS and has his Wisconsin coaches to thank.

#1 in the world, undisputed.

Possibly #1 Ohio.

1974 145 pounds Class AAA Mike DeAnna Bay High School

1974 145 pounds Class A-AA Leroy Kemp Chardon High School

Not knocking Ohio, if it works for them and their population (much > Indiana) then great. Just opposed to it in indiana.

FYI- Karl started it! Lol

#1 in the world, undisputed.

Possibly #1 Ohio.

1974 145 pounds Class AAA Mike DeAnna Bay High School

1974 145 pounds Class A-AA Leroy Kemp Chardon High School

Not knocking Ohio, if it works for them and their population (much > Indiana) then great. Just opposed to it in indiana.

FYI- Karl started it! Lol

Lee probably still has night sweats full of regrets.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.