Mr. Gorilla

fearless fly

Hard for me to argue against any of them. Based on criteria, not sure it "has" to be anyone. So many great seasons and careers, not to mention great matches tonight. Kind of glad I am not a voter.

There were guys at this years tournament that impressed me much more than Forte, but had to argue with that resume

Again, it's where the definition of Mr. Gorilla comes in.  If it's "most exciting state tournament his senior year", then of course Cash is the winner.  If it's "most dominating at his weight", then it could be Pepple since he was rarely challenged facing guys younger than him 95% of the time.  But if it's "best", it's still really hard for me to think Forte isn't the guy, considering his state and national resume and current national ranking at one of the most difficult weights in the country (always virtually 100% juniors/seniors in the national rankings, one of the 2 or 3 lowest forfeit rates in the nation). 

I would say Forte had probably the least impressive performance of his 4 years at the state finals, while Pepple and Cash had their best.  But Forte went tech, tech, 1:04, 0:48 at semi-state.  His first two matches at regional were 0:08 and 0:15.  He clobbered people all year and all through his career--moreso than Pepple and Cash, outside of this particular state finals.

I won't be sad if Cash or Pepple win because I loved watching both guys and I don't think you could go wrong with either guy, but I really hope the voters aren't swayed too much by one flashy performance instead of season and career domination.

IMO flip a coin. Heads it's Tommy Forte, tails it's Tommy Cash. Can't go wrong with either. Pepple gets a very close third.

I think an honorable mention should go to Dylan Lydy. Maybe not the overall career the others had. But D** that kid was fun to watch this weekend. He almost got officiated out of a state title but pulled it off with a great blue collar effort. Maybe the definition of the "Mr. Gorilla". Congrats young man! 

Edited by MCKAJC

If I remember right, Cash missed the state tournament his sophomore year because of appendix being removed. That is the only reason he isn't a 4 time medalist. If I had a vote, Tommy Cash.

Could've should've would've. If forte wasn't in Lecounts weight class last year he's a 3xer. We could play that game all day. If you're counting outstanding tournament from this weekend, sure give it to cash. If you're counting overall resume, I personally don't think it's close. Cash wasnt even number one most of the year because he kept losing to a guy in his weight class.

Could've should've would've. If forte wasn't in Lecounts weight class last year he's a 3xer. We could play that game all day. If you're counting outstanding tournament from this weekend, sure give it to cash. If you're counting overall resume, I personally don't think it's close. Cash wasnt even number one most of the year because he kept losing to a guy in his weight class.

Wait... did you follow a "coulda, shoulda, woulda"  with a coulda??? Shame on you.... :-) JK. I wouldn't think rankings have a lot to do with this.

Edited by MCKAJC

I would say that Fabio Jr. Is right I feel that Stevenson showed the heart to win the award he gutted out an amazing 6th place finish and was so close to beating Jackson to make it into the semis. That young man showed why he's a true champion. Im sure there were plenty of people watching that were inspired at his toughness and grit like I was.

I would say that Fabio Jr. Is right I feel that Stevenson showed the heart to win the award he gutted out an amazing 6th place finish and was so close to beating Jackson to make it into the semis. That young man showed why he's a true champion. Im sure there were plenty of people watching that were inspired at his toughness and grit like I was.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.