Greatest State Bracket

Justdo^it135

With all the talk of state this weekend, I began thinking about some of my favorite state tournaments. Remembering favorite matches, stories, and such. Eventually I found myself asking, what was the greatest state bracket I had ever seen. With that in mind, I'll post my favorite below and ask you HS wrestling fans on the messageboard to reminisce along with me and tell me which bracket you think was the best ever or just your favorite ever.  

My Favorite:

2008-2009 119 lbs. Weight Class

1. Camden Eppert (Anderson Highland) 3-2 OT

2. Brandon Wright (Indianapolis Cathedral)

3. Alex Johns (Evansville Rietz) 7-5

4. Casey Kenney (Jay County)

5. Justin Brooks (Warsaw) 5-0

6. Derek Bevans (Yorktown)

7. Justin Kieffer (Roncalli) 19-8

8. Daniel Bradley (Knox)

Qualifiers:

John Petrov (Hanover Central)

Ethan Raley (Indian Creek)

Marquis Williams (Fort Wayne Snider)

Jeffery Stotridge (Charlestown)

Steve Duncan (Beech Grove)

Oscar Trujillo (Lafayette Jefferson)

Justin Fuller (Brownsburg)

Alex Filer (Elkhart Central)

Here is a link to that year's state brackets: http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/boys%20sports/wrestling/2008-09/0809IndvStateBrackets.pdf

I Agree with you, but a close runner up would be a young field @ 112lb in 2010... The Top 6 in this weight had some very stellar HS Careers, and even some Qualifiers wound up having huge success just a few years later...

1. Kyle Ayersman - 3X Champ, 4X Placer

2. Paul Beck - runner-up, 2X Placer

3. Brenden Campbell - 2X runner-up, 3X Placer

4. Jared MCKinley - 2X Champ, 3X Placer

5. Mason Todd - Champ, 3X Placer

6. Brian Harvey - Champ, 4X Placer

*Nick Crume and Luke Welch were also Qualifiers, as freshman, in this tough field

Bracket:

http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/boys%20sports/wrestling/2009-10/0910IndividualStateBrackets.pdf

Edited by NavyGonzo

119 in 2006 I believe, had 3 former state champs Ethan Harris, Eric Galka and returning 119 state champ Anthony Williams.

Harris ended up 7th and Galka lost Friday night.

Merrillville's Javier Salas beat Anthony Williams in OT in the semis. That was a great match.

Salas pinned his opponent in the finals that year.

106 lb weight class at state in 2011-2012:

-Nathan Boston: 3-time state champion (2 out of state, 1 in Indiana), currently wrestling @ Iowa State

-Stefan Micic: 3-time state champion, currently wrestling @ Northwestern

-Hayden Lee: 1-time state champion (Div. 1 Ohio), currently wrestling @Arizona State

-Tommy Cash: 1-time state champion, committed to wrestle @ Indiana University

-DJ Smith: 1-time state champion, currently wrestling @ University of Indianapolis

-Zach Davis: 2-time state runner-up, currently wrestling @ U.S. Naval Academy

-Sawyer Miller: 2-time state semi-finalist, committed to wrestle @ Indiana Tech

-Jacob Cottey: 2-time state placer, currently wrestling @ Wabash

-Conner Knapp: 2-time, (potentially 3-time) state placer

-Kayla Miracle: First girl to qualify for state finals, 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympic hopeful

Quite Impressive to say the least.

Edited by ILUV2PIN

-Nathan Boston: 3-time state champion (2 out of state, 1 in Indiana), currently wrestling @ Iowa State

-Hayden Lee: 1-time state champion (Div. 1 Ohio), currently wrestling @Arizona State

-DJ Smith: 1-time state champion, currently wrestling @ University of Indianapolis

And the first state bracket to ever have a girl in it.

119 in 2006 I believe, had 3 former state champs Ethan Harris, Eric Galka and returning 119 state champ Anthony Williams.

Harris ended up 7th and Galka lost Friday night.

Merrillville's Javier Salas beat Anthony Williams in OT in the semis. That was a great match.

Salas pinned his opponent in the finals that year.

Joker, that bracket was a close second for me. Javier Salas that year should be considered the precedent for which all other "man on a mission"s are compared to.

That's a group of tough ones for sure......anyone know anything about how Hayden Lee is doing out west?

- Jacob Cottey 2x state placer, currently wrestles @ Wabash

09 112.

Just off the top of my head:

Devin Jackson- 2 2nds and champ didn't get to Saturday.

Nelson.

Alex Gregory.

Josh Keiffer.

Connor Mullins.

Anthony Hawkins champ

Josh Kieffer

Nelson

Gregory

Mullins

Julian

Fisher

Floyd

SQ

Jackson

Moddy

Simpson

Gonzales

Armantrout

Ross

Kendlef

Francisco Colon

If Kayla Miracle qualifies for the Olympics next summer, I think this weight will have to go down as an all-time top 3.  An almost entire field of Division I and II caliber wrestlers, plus a potential olympian. That's big time. 

These brackets are pretty impressive but what about some of the better upper weights. It can sometimes be hard to really say a upper weight bracket can compare when so many upper weights are upper classman and didn't place at state their freshman and sophomore years. I always thought the 171 classes in the mid 90s were tough. Gil Journey, Rob Miller, Dan Pleak, Will Hill, Dion Brimmage, James Brimm were all really good.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.