How good are the rankings?

Y2CJ41

Mike Reiser has been doing the rankings for four years now. Here is the breakdown of ranked kids in the final rankings by year

2015- 172
2014- 171
2013- 171
2012- 170

Also this year he had 166 kids ranked in the preseason that went to state. Take into account move-outs, kids graduating early, injuries, etc. and that is pretty darn good in my book!

C'mon that's it? Only 172 right? With today's technology, you should be able to predict all 224 without a mishap. 

I'd say that's pretty dang good, considering what In The Bleachers just said. If they didn't have to wrestle so early, then he could probably would have predicted even more. Nice work Mike.

That is a good number when you consider that: 1.) the spread between the 16 and the 17, or 18, 19, 20 etc. wrestler is probably pretty small and therefore something of a greater judgement call, and 2.) most of the ranked wrestlers who do not advance probably come from the low end of the rankings (12 - 16). If that is the case then the degree of error on a weighted basis shrinks even further.

Reiser does a great job.  For a highly subjective criteria, it is amazing how accurate his rankings are at the end of the year.  

Let's not forget that rankings might be accurate, but still a guy misses out on state because of a tough draw.  160 at M'ville had ranked wrestlers in Sopko and Prentice go out losing to other ranked wrestlers, while a weaker bracket eeked some unranked wrestlers through.  

And thats why you should rank the top for in the semi-states 1-16 eventhough you kniw someone else may be better but, onky 4 can go...then you could get all 16 per weight correct...

The rankings aren't a prediction of who will make it to state. It is a listing of the top 16/20 kids in the state.

And thats why you should rank the top for in the semi-states 1-16 eventhough you kniw someone else may be better but, onky 4 can go...then you could get all 16 per weight correct...

Even then you can have the top four draw into each other.  

Does someone have the stat that show how many ranked wrestlers lost to other ranked wrestlers?  How many ranked wrestlers lost to unranked wrestlers?

Thanks again everyone for the kind words. The biggest things between Pick'ems and rankings I would say is I don't try to rank 4 from every semi state I try to rank the most deserving kids like 26 at new castle a lot of those guys deserved to be ranked. Also the rankings re result driven and my Pick'ems are more a guess of who I feel is wrestling better at that time

They still have kids in wrong weights...it was a good try though.

Easy now...the quality of your website speaks for itself. There is no need for you to make fun of someone else's site.

The Indianamat Rankings were very good this year, as usual. It is impressive how accurate they are considering the impossibility of watching/evaluating/comparing all wrestlers in all corners of the state.

Keep up the good work.

Edited by BeastMode#31

Mike,

When I finished my last season as the RankingsGuy in 2011 and gave you the reigns for the 2012 season, I knew you were the perfect guy for the job.  From there, you've taken the rankings to new heights and helped make IndianaMat one of the premiere wrestling news sites in the country.  My hats off to you, Joe, Chad, and the whole team.  Can't wait to see where IndianaMat goes from here.  Great job as always.  You're one of the best and most knowledgable wrestling fans I know.

-Eric McGill

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.