Spoiled or not?

decbell1

I was having this discussion at lunch:

We complain about draws all the time, but is wrestling the only head to head sport not pre-determined?

If we were like any other sport, Merrillvile would wrestle Ft Wayne and New Castle would get Evansville every year, every weight.

Team sports are single elimination, though.  You lose you're out.

First round of regional, first two rounds of semi-state, and first round at state are all single elimination . . . you lose, you are out.

Does any other individual one on one sports (for ex. Tennis) have blind draws?

My son also places tennis, so I follow the state tennis tournament.        The tennis process is very complicated.   Keep in mind just like wrestling, there is one class so its very difficult to qualify for state.  Note only the #1 tennis player from each teamr and #1 doubles player are only entered into the tounament.

But  just like wrestlng, theres a sectionals and regionals but no individual semi-state and qualifying is actually based on 1st how you do in the team tournament.   So only 8 singles players and 8 doubles teams qualify for state.   And the pairings or seedings are based on criteria,  with the 1st seed being the undefeated player from the team champion if that happens, with the next criteria being the undefeated player from a losing team in state tournament.

But to make a long story short, the individual tournanent is actually seeded based on the individual performance within the team state tournanment. 

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.