State 4 over 1's and Death Draws

irishfb88

To put it in perspective for Reitz vs Ferg on Friday night, Reitz beat Konrath under the lights by 1 or 2 if my memory is correct. The same season, Ferg seemed to dominate and was up by 7 at one point in the match. Ended up cruising to a solid 4 point win (or so).

Given, this was middle of season and konrath bumped up. Just an interesting comparison.

this is all crazy talk...............Red is clearly the best pound for pound wrestler.  He could bump up at least two weight classes and still win the title, Lee can't as James would beat him.  James can only bump up 1 weight class because at two weight classes Forte would beat him.  This leaves Rypel and he could go up 1 and probably still win but after that the guys get too big and mean so he is probably 2nd on the pound for pound list.  Bottom line is CJ Red is the most dominant wrestler in the state this year and most others and the rest of the list are close 2nd's !!!

1. CJ Red

2. Blake Rypel

3. Brandon James

4. Nick Lee

If I were to bet $20, I would put it on Lee. If CJ beat Lee and bumped up again, I would put $50 more on James.

I would go as far to say I think Lee is ahead of James in pound for pound. If James cut to 132, I would take the Fargo OW in that one.

To put it in perspective for Reitz vs Ferg on Friday night, Reitz beat Konrath under the lights by 1 or 2 if my memory is correct. The same season, Ferg seemed to dominate and was up by 7 at one point in the match. Ended up cruising to a solid 4 point win (or so).

Given, this was middle of season and konrath bumped up. Just an interesting comparison.

It's hard to put much stock in that comparison, unfortunately.  Bumping up often brings misleading results, you're basing the comparison on matches from a year ago, and the biggest quality jump for high school wrestlers is usually from freshman to sophomore year.   That doesn't mean I necessarily think Reitz is better than Ferguson...I'm just saying that comparison has limitations.

Edited by maligned

I thought Ferg wrestled for Reitz?

It's hard to put much stock in that comparison, unfortunately.  Bumping up often brings misleading results, you're basing the comparison on matches from a year ago, and the biggest quality jump for high school wrestlers is usually from freshman to sophomore year.   That doesn't mean I necessarily think Reitz is better than Ferguson...I'm just saying that comparison has limitations.

Right on Malgned.  I beat a good friend of mine in tennis once, and my friend played college tennis and he beat a guy on his team once who beat a tennis pro before a tennis pro in a Junior match (Bryan Black) who has a career win over Andre Agassi.  So Im only 4 degrees aways from being the best tennis player in the world at one point in time using the associative property of math.   Of course my logic is totally ridiculous and only using matches from two years ago when guys bump up weight classes is just as ridiculous of a predictor for a match. 

If I were to bet $20, I would put it on Lee. If CJ beat Lee and bumped up again, I would put $50 more on James.

I would go as far to say I think Lee is ahead of James in pound for pound. If James cut to 132, I would take the Fargo OW in that one.

You have Evansville colored glasses where I have no dog in the fight and can give a clear un-biased opinion which is plain and simple........CJ Red is P4P the best in IN !!!   Now if Fabio Jr were in the discussion I may have a different order to the P4P list.

You have Evansville colored glasses where I have no dog in the fight and can give a clear un-biased opinion which is plain and simple........CJ Red is P4P the best in IN !!!   Now if Fabio Jr were in the discussion I may have a different order to the P4P list.

Fabio was the greatest,  and with Brownsburg Purple Colored glasses he's probably the best coach P4P in the state.

Right on Malgned.  I beat a good friend of mine in tennis once, and my friend played college tennis and he beat a guy on his team once who beat a tennis pro before a tennis pro in a Junior match (Bryan Black) who has a career win over Andre Agassi.  So Im only 4 degrees aways from being the best tennis player in the world at one point in time using the associative property of math.   Of course my logic is totally ridiculous and only using matches from two years ago when guys bump up weight classes is just as ridiculous of a predictor for a match. 

Transitive property

If you have no dog in the fight how can you be so 100% sure?  None of them have wrestled each other this year and they are all at different weights.  The only time any of the three have wrestled each other was last year when James beat Red at 120.  Going off of facts, not guesses,  James is P4P better than Red.  That being said, I think Nick Lee could beat them both and win a title @145 this year.

Is there any such thing as an un-biased opinion? All opinions are affected and formed by biases, acknowledged or otherwise. So allow me to acknowledge my bias for Nick Lee as best pound for pound. The good news is that there is no bias to my bias. It is purely biased.

The pound for pound topic is irrelevant until we could ever get the chance to see the matches.  No one knows who will beat who and all you have is your opinions which everyone has.  A good question I have is when you have the opportunity to set this argument straight or make a name for yourself and get a credible win, why not take it?  CJ had the chance at the team duals over Christmas time to bump and wrestle lee with nothing on the line.  He didn't do it.  This could be because he didn't want to lose and wanted you people to still have this discussion as a mystery, or it could be other reasons between him and his dad where they didn't feel it important enough to wrestle that match.  The bottom line is CJ didn't care to set this pound for pound madness straight cause they don't feel this as important.  What is important is who they will wrestle in their weight classes this weekend.  Good luck to all those competing and I hope this pound for pound discussion and the ignorant guesses of who will beat who will stop until they are in the same weight. No one predicts who will win between Rypel and Red...  Maybe because its ridiculous to compare people at different weights because of style changes. 

Also, for the Egli vs Black match, fartfry will be awaiting his snow cone at Bankers.

Thanks for listening.

Fart out

I think using 1 common opponent from the previous season versus a 4th degree tennis win separated be many years is not "just as ridiculous of a predictor of a match". Also why I added "just a comparison" in my post.

I think Ferg finds a way to win this one but I'm obviously biased from evansville. :)

Alright spectator,  just trying to be a little funny.     So the interesting comparison is  from a common opponent, (one degree),  different season (two degrees),  different weight class (three degrees).   You're right, your comparison is a transitive property of three degrees, not four.  

The pound for pound topic is irrelevant until we could ever get the chance to see the matches.  No one knows who will beat who and all you have is your opinions which everyone has.  A good question I have is when you have the opportunity to set this argument straight or make a name for yourself and get a credible win, why not take it?  CJ had the chance at the team duals over Christmas time to bump and wrestle lee with nothing on the line.  He didn't do it.  This could be because he didn't want to lose and wanted you people to still have this discussion as a mystery, or it could be other reasons between him and his dad where they didn't feel it important enough to wrestle that match.  The bottom line is CJ didn't care to set this pound for pound madness straight cause they don't feel this as important.  What is important is who they will wrestle in their weight classes this weekend.  Good luck to all those competing and I hope this pound for pound discussion and the ignorant guesses of who will beat who will stop until they are in the same weight. No one predicts who will win between Rypel and Red...  Maybe because its ridiculous to compare people at different weights because of style changes. 

Also, for the Egli vs Black match, fartfry will be awaiting his snow cone at Bankers.

Thanks for listening.

Fart out

We did see the match. James beat Red.

Have we learned nothing from Micheal Vick...

Pound for pound is just an overall fun topic but most will never happen, such as rypel and everyone else being talked about. Red COULD have bumped up to face Lee, but I doubt he cares about doing that.

And I'm not disagreeing scholar. There were a ton of variables in that match. However, I think there may be more than 4 variables in your story too, so to end discussion I think you better just go pro and give me 10% of the profits for the stellar idea.

I will take Rypel in this one............easy one now what is your next one Farty ????

I'll take a shot with some more fun questions... for you and others.

1. Who has least amount of mat time this weekend?

2.What's you favorite move?

3. Of all the people that will be in Banker's stadium (including fans), whose the last person you would want to step on the mat with?  Not best wrestler, but the baddest dude at the event

4. How many push ups can you do?

5. Last question, I never asked you, Do you like Guacamole?

Fart out

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.