State 4 over 1's and Death Draws

irishfb88

Let me begin by saying I think Brandon James probably has the best chance to win 138. BUT, he has had 4 matches this year that were decided by 7 points or less. In my mind that is less than dominating. Chad Red and Nick Lee have dominated everyone they've wrestled this year (in the high school season). I absolutely believe Joe Lee and Tommy Cash could bring their A game (which is what it would take) and beat James. I believe 138, along with every other weight class, is up for grabs.

I think Rypel has been about as dominating this season as Lee and Red. His closest match was 11-3 bumping up 25 pounds against a semi-state champion.

I would not argue with that. 

Rypel is a lock. His closet match was 11-3 to Larson at Avon. He could not turn Larson but won every TD. Larson is just a Sophomore but never went to his back once all year. Larson had a 3-0 loss to Woods, 1-0 with 30 seconds left. Rypel is the number 1 lock of the Tournament. 

Beat 2x State Champ , Super 32 , Fargo Champ Chad Red last year , Majored State Champ Tommy Cash , Beat younger brother Joe Lee this year , might as well go and Beat Nick Lee to.

again Nick has beaten __________ .

1. Brandon James

2. Chad Red

Mighty defensive. Is someone supposed to answer with #1 or #2? I don't get it.

Beat 2x State Champ , Super 32 , Fargo Champ Chad Red last year , Majored State Champ Tommy Cash , Beat younger brother Joe Lee this year , might as well go and Beat Nick Lee to.

again Nick has beaten __________ .

1. Brandon James

2. Chad Red

I'm not taking anything away from Brandon James at all.  I think he is a fantastic wrestler and his accolades speak for themselves.  I was referencing the "locks."  I do not think anyone is a lock.  I think Chad Red, Nick Lee, Brandon James, Blake Rypel, etc can ALL be beaten, so in my mind there is no such thing as a lock.  I was simply pointing out that James has not been as dominant as the other locks that were discussed. 

And to answer your question, Nick Lee has beaten..........everyone he has wrestled minus a 3-time state champ.

We can all agree that Chad Red, Nick Lee and Brandon James are three of the best pound for pound. Unless they wanted to have an exhibition after state sometime (which would be awesome), it's hard to determine the best. I have an opinion, but it's just that: an opinion.

this is all crazy talk...............Red is clearly the best pound for pound wrestler.  He could bump up at least two weight classes and still win the title, Lee can't as James would beat him.  James can only bump up 1 weight class because at two weight classes Forte would beat him.  This leaves Rypel and he could go up 1 and probably still win but after that the guys get too big and mean so he is probably 2nd on the pound for pound list.  Bottom line is CJ Red is the most dominant wrestler in the state this year and most others and the rest of the list are close 2nd's !!!

1. CJ Red

2. Blake Rypel

3. Brandon James

4. Nick Lee

this is all crazy talk...............Red is clearly the best pound for pound wrestler.  He could bump up at least two weight classes and still win the title, Lee can't as James would beat him.  James can only bump up 1 weight class because at two weight classes Forte would beat him.  This leaves Rypel and he could go up 1 and probably still win but after that the guys get too big and mean so he is probably 2nd on the pound for pound list.  Bottom line is CJ Red is the most dominant wrestler in the state this year and most others and the rest of the list are close 2nd's !!!

1. CJ Red

2. Blake Rypel

3. Brandon James

4. Nick Lee

1. CJ Red

2. Blake Rypel

3. Brandon James

4. Nick Lee

Did you miss the part where James beat Red when they were at the same weight?

1. CJ Red

2. Blake Rypel

3. Brandon James

4. Nick Lee

Your logic is flawed. I don't disagree Red is one of the best 2 wrestlers in the state, but you cannot say for certainty that he can jump 2 weight classes and win the title.  James has beaten Red. 

that was in the past, this is pound for pound right now !!!   CJ.......CJ........CJ.........CJ  !!!!

BTW the thread was titled "State 4 over 1's and Death Draws"...............seems we have all gone way off course !!!

Are you kidding me? Nick Lee is pound for pound the best wrestler. I have a question for you James wrestled Red in the off season and won do you know what weight class that was at? 132! Why didn't James wrestle it this off season? Why is James nationally ranked at 132? And by the way he is also ranked well under Nick on the rankings as well. Just my opinion but Nick Lee has yet to see competition and James has seen it this year.

It is not a surprise that James is at 138.  If you did not know.  He tried to make 132 for Fargo and missed weight.

132 would have been a very difficult cut for him to make.  I was surprised when he made 132 at all and from what I

heard he had a really tough time and did not wrestle well at that weight.

It is not a surprise that James is at 138.  If you did not know.  He tried to make 132 for Fargo and missed weight.

132 would have been a very difficult cut for him to make.  I was surprised when he made 132 at all and from what I

heard he had a really tough time and did not wrestle well at that weight.

Ockham's Razor states that among competing hypothesis the one with the fewest assumptions should be chosen. This explanation makes no assumptions about whether a kid might be ducking another kid and, therefore, gets my vote as the most likely explanation. Put another way, what are you nuts? Why assume someone is ducking a guy because they are at different weights? Wouldn't everyone be ducking everyone else in the weight above or below them by that theory? The most likely explanation is that the wrestler chose the right weight for their body.

Here's my upset alert radar (not saying these will all happen, but definitely a possibility)..

106- DeMien (Northwood) over Schaefer (South Dearborn)

113- None

120- Egli (Mater Dei) over Black (Hobart)  *though I don't see this happening and Black is my State Champ pick.

126- Diaz (Hammond Clark) over Weimer (East Noble)

132- Eldred (Westfield) over Laughlin (SB Riley)

138- McIntosh (Portage) over Moore (Manchester)

145- Schurg (Crown Point) over Herrin (Jennings County)

152- Sturgill (Peru) over VanCamp (Lebanon)

160- Goering (SB Riley) over Goddard (Warren Central) *my most likely 4 over 1 of Friday night.

170- None

182- Kleimola (Lake Central) over Parris (Lawrenceburg)

195- None

220- None

285- Shafer (Rochester) over Swartz (FW Snider)

No one is picking the show stopper Mr. Friday night Alex Johnson?

Really it's a tough break for Johnson he's really good and a returning medalist I know mater dei lays down for no one. I'm sure Johnson will do his best. This could be the worst draw in the country since Chad is ranked #1. Alex has had such a good season/career. I'm sure he will be ready to compete. Good luck to All I'll give some possible 4's over 1's tonight on the show

Really it's a tough break for Johnson he's really good and a returning medalist I know mater dei lays down for no one. I'm sure Johnson will do his best. This could be the worst draw in the country since Chad is ranked #1. Alex has had such a good season/career. I'm sure he will be ready to compete. Good luck to All I'll give some possible 4's over 1's tonight on the show

I'll pick him.

I have watched Alex wrestle for some years now and I will say the same thing I told everyone while standing in MD wrestling room before the state finals last year I think he (Alex Johnson) has a chance why do I say that they asked BECAUSE Alex does not stop wrestling until the whistle blows! There are only a few others in recent years that have had close to the heart that Alex has but not quite the whole heart.He will show up to wrestle and yes he has a chance!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.