Bracket Fiasco 2015

Y2CJ41

As many people have pointed out, the formulas should not be decided until "EVERY" Semi-State is complete. I don't see where anyone at Merrillville SS would have thrown a match for a favorable Friday night match at Bankers Life. However if the formulas were released then there is that possibility. So "DA REGION" folks really didn't screw up anything. Just like many things in life if people would follow protocol and take a half ounce of pride in what they do could this could have been avoided. Sorry to the wrestlers and the parents that got a raw deal on this, but blaming people isn't going to change a thing.

except someone is to blame and blame should be given. Edited by jchas

The only reason I can see releasing the formula before the tournament was over is so people/teams could get on the road as a safety precaution.

But I totally agree. Release it Sunday afternoon.

My point was that they never give out the formula at semi-state. I know our semi state has never had the formula released. We are always told it will be released on Sunday. So why in the world did Merrillville do this? When in the years past has it happened? I'm guessing probably zero.

except someone is to blame and blame should be given

Yes there is someone or a group of individuals to blame, however i highly doubt its going to change anything. So if they change it again, whats to say they aren't going to change it 25 more times before Friday night. Don't get me wrong what happened is all kinds of "messed" up. The people that are mad are the ones that believe that they or their wrestler got a favorable draw taken away from them. WATCH OUT with that kind of mentality after all that type of mindset may cost JIM BOB McGhee his 8th place medal.  At the end of the day the student athletes have to wrestle who is in front of them.

Someone asked...how come a few are the same if they re-drew them?  I'm sure that if they really re-drew them, they did it randomly from scratch.  If that's the case, on average, 4 or 5 would come out the same as before since there are only 3 different bracket arrangement combos possible.

There are more than 3

You have 3 for each first round match, but also two added due to having a different possibility of a champion in each quarter bracket.

Then throw in the random placement of each quarter bracket there are quite a few different possibilities.

These brackets that stayed the same did so in perfect fashion.

There are more than 3

You have 3 for each first round match, but also two added due to having a different possibility of a champion in each quarter bracket.

Then throw in the random placement of each quarter bracket there are quite a few different possibilities.

These brackets that stayed the same did so in perfect fashion.

What you're describing is how brackets of the same outcome can appear different in their arrangement.  So maybe they just randomly selected 4 to stay the same since they know that's average and re-drew the rest??  It's all fishy, whatever the case.

Edited by maligned

i seriosly doubt anyone "threw" a match.   With that being said, someone or more than someone at Merrilville definitely screwed up!   How in the world can you NOT argue that.     The rotten thing is that some people thought they saw the draw then it changed.    Maybe they should draw it on sunday at noon and show it on live TV - and I mean actually draw it, not just post it.

I don't trust ANYTHING that the IHSAA does so this seems fishy.  

With all the hoopla I can see this weeks Wrestling Wednesday article being on BracketGate and a comparison how the semi-finals & finals are predicted to have shapended up in both versions.  Not that any of them were going to turn out perfect for everyone, but it sured seemed like the original version had a few more fan friendly alignments.

Edited by MattM

As many people have pointed out, the formulas should not be decided until "EVERY" Semi-State is complete. I don't see where anyone at Merrillville SS would have thrown a match for a favorable Friday night match at Bankers Life. However if the formulas were released then there is that possibility. So "DA REGION" folks really didn't screw up anything. Just like many things in life if people would follow protocol and take a half ounce of pride in what they do could this could have been avoided. Sorry to the wrestlers and the parents that got a raw deal on this, but blaming people isn't going to change a thing.

No, blaming people won't change anything but determining the how's and why's can certainly prevent the same thing from happening in the future.

is it possible that the brackets that were posted saturday night were just plain and simple, not properly done, and that the ihsaa did nothing wrong?.....they (the ihsaa) drew the brackets as they always do on sunday and the only one to blame for this mess is whomever put together the brackets saturday and posting something that wasn't right? 

and then the next question is who put the brackets together saturday evening if the ihsaa didn't?.....or did they?

is it possible that the brackets that were posted saturday night were just plain and simple, not properly done, and that the ihsaa did nothing wrong?.....they (the ihsaa) drew the brackets as they always do on sunday and the only one to blame for this mess is whomever put together the brackets saturday and posting something that wasn't right? 

and then the next question is who put the brackets together saturday evening if the ihsaa didn't?.....or did they?

no

These brackets were handed out at Merrillville, what part of that is so hard for you to understand?

well lets see if i or anyone else fully understood all of this no one would be posting anything....that is why people ask questions.....and i guess i have another one since i have such a hard time understanding things......who is it that handed out the brackets at merriville?.....an ihsaa official?......sorry i don't know that already.....

thank you karl.....i guess now that i have asked a couple questions and received actual answers, i would have to agree that it sounds as if the ihsaa did something wrong or is not following their own rules......seems like they owe everyone an explanation at the least..... 

Was this before or after the finals?

During

thank you karl.....i guess now that i have asked a couple questions and received actual answers, i would have to agree that it sounds as if the ihsaa did something wrong or is not following their own rules......seems like they owe everyone an explanation at the least..... 

I don't think the IHSAA is to blame

I do appreciate you hinting that we pulled a fast one on the Indiana wrestling community.