Bracket Fiasco 2015

Y2CJ41

Just as a heads up here is the reason why we had brackets released last night.

Yesterday at Merrillville they  handed out the sheet with the state draw on it. They were advertising it for coaches to come get the information. They gave this information out BEFORE and DURING the finals. The original brackets were correct with TrackWrestling as of last night, but changed this afternoon.

Just as a heads up here is the reason why we had brackets released last night.

Yesterday at Merrillville they  handed out the sheet with the state draw on it. They were advertising it for coaches to come get the information. They gave this information out BEFORE and DURING the finals. The original brackets were correct with TrackWrestling as of last night, but changed this afternoon.

I don't understand. Is this a rule? Who makes the decision to redraw brackets?

This angers me beyond belief. Yes, knowing the draw before you wrestle most certainly can change the way someone wrestles. In a sport that is based on never quitting, going until you break or you've broken your opponent, fighting for that #1 seed because you've earned the right for that ranking/draw, the fact that anyone was "advertising the draws for coaches to pick up" in the hopes of promoting what I believe to be behavior completely opposed to the whole mentality of wrestling itself, really angers me.

This angers me beyond belief. Yes, knowing the draw before you wrestle most certainly can change the way someone wrestles. In a sport that is based on never quitting, going until you break or you've broken your opponent, fighting for that #1 seed because you've earned the right for that ranking/draw, the fact that anyone was "advertising the draws for coaches to pick up" in the hopes of promoting what I believe to be behavior completely opposed to the whole mentality of wrestling itself, really angers me.

I agree wholeheartedly.  I don't think anyone threw a match at Merrillville but unfortunately it has happened in the past and it put the IHSAA in a position to make some decision to protect the integrity of the tournament.  

seems like now that its all on Track, they shouldn't be released to the semi states at all....then the IHSAA would have more conrol over it and only release the info when they are entirely sure

the semi states are over...or do they have to be manually entered?...

Edited by cdpd8b

Why in the world was the formula released in the first place at Merrillville? Since when has anyone ever done that? It has always been you wait till Sunday to see the draws.

The only reason I can see releasing the formula before the tournament was over is so people/teams could get on the road as a safety precaution.

But I totally agree. Release it Sunday afternoon.

As many people have pointed out, the formulas should not be decided until "EVERY" Semi-State is complete. I don't see where anyone at Merrillville SS would have thrown a match for a favorable Friday night match at Bankers Life. However if the formulas were released then there is that possibility. So "DA REGION" folks really didn't screw up anything. Just like many things in life if people would follow protocol and take a half ounce of pride in what they do could this could have been avoided. Sorry to the wrestlers and the parents that got a raw deal on this, but blaming people isn't going to change a thing. 

Someone asked...how come a few are the same if they re-drew them?  I'm sure that if they really re-drew them, they did it randomly from scratch.  If that's the case, on average, 4 or 5 would come out the same as before since there are only 3 different bracket arrangement combos possible.

Edited by maligned