Wrestling Room Size

Dr.Malcolm

4 full mats with some left over space on the end to fit a set of the roll away aluminum bleachers. I have been told it was pretty much designed by Tom Cameron when he was the Head Coach

WOW! That is huge. Most people are talking about 2 full mats and you guys just skipped the 3rd and went straight to the 4th. I remember guys cutting weight before weigh inns and just remember there was plenty of room. End of practice Sprints must be a real fun time

Edited by Mr. Right

Mooresville has 1.5 mats. Supposed to fit two full mats in the original design, but the builder forgot to put bathrooms in the gym, so that took out our extra  half a mat. HS only has around 35 wrestlers. We bring the Middle schoolers over after Regionals to keep it warm for our SS Qualifiers.

When I was coaching at Howe, we fit 2/3 a mat in the room and had all wrestlers 7-12 practice in there. Only about 10 were Varsity (they were always the same weight) but  with JV and MS in there, we'd have around 40 kids try to squeeze in there. A lot circuit training was involved due to limited mat space.

Up until about 2012, at Garrett, our wrestling room was the upstairs balcony in the main basketball gym.  We would drop down a curtain so that the bball players didn't have to see us working harder and louder.. Good times huh Y2?

Evansville Memorial - 32 x 32 mat stuffed in a classroom coverted to a wrestling room.  30-35 wrestlers in a normal year. We practice in shifts.

Hopefully that will change in the next 12 months....fingers crossed.

Up until about 2012, at Garrett, our wrestling room was the upstairs balcony in the main basketball gym.  We would drop down a curtain so that the bball players didn't have to see us working harder and louder.. Good times huh Y2?

This is still the same deal at Delta

With our school renovation 10 years ago, South Dearborn holds two full mats. We have 18 circles, an office, and a bit of space off the edge of the mats for additional activity, as well as a large storage closet. We were encouraged to give architects our design of the square footage, and although we have a fantastic room compared to pre-2005, had the architect taken our suggestions for the office design and a water fountain in the room, it would be superb. We also wanted to convert a large storage area in the gym into a locker room that would have opened straight into the room. Ultimately, it is better than most schools, so we love it.

I believe Batesville still practices in the same room I did. It holds either 4.5 or 5.5 sections. It probably still has one wall that is all mirrors from when half of the space used to serve as the weight room. It essentially has no coaches' office, just a closet that sometimes serves as such.

blackford has the same issue as south adams. we can get 10-12 wrestlers going without much problem.  

we usually split one group in the room and the second goes to strength & conditioning (rinse & repeat).

we're playing the powerball & hoosier lottery to build a facility like merriville :)

Wow about Brownsburg...is that the only sport that uses that gym? That's gotta be nice.

Kankakee Valley has a wrestling room above the old middle school gym. When I wrestled in middle school we always used the upper deck of the main gym when the bleachers werent pulled out.

The school built a stand alone middle school and I have not seen that room. The high school room had 1 2/3 mats I believe when I was there (I'm 30) and a few weight benches and a four way weight training machine.

We HS wrestlers used to hate when the basketball teams would have home games and the bleachers pulled out. Wheel barrows and buddy carries were endless!

Good ol former KV coach Walt Prochno... One of the best KV has ever had in any sport.

Edited by Silvertone1696

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.