Merrillville needs a new announcer

fanatic46041

There have a been a couple applications in the not-too-distant past to host this at larger venues, but the AD has been a big player in the IHSAA for a lot of years and M'ville wants to keep it.  So it's not changing anytime soon.

Valpo university would be interesting i do feel bad for some of the travel of the programs further south and east. I know some the teams had to stay the night in valpo because of he snow I do wish there was a central location. Merrillville does a nice job of hosting if the gym was 500 seats bigger it would be perfect

There have a been a couple applications in the not-too-distant past to host this at larger venues, but the AD has been a big player in the IHSAA for a lot of years and M'ville wants to keep it.  So it's not changing anytime soon.

That AD is a big enough IHSAA player to ensure her place has a padlock on the event, yet isn't involved and/or clued in enough to ensure that the state brackets are passed out in the proper mannor at that same event. 

WOW. That Evansville intro video is Boss(e?).

This seems like an annual thread, but it's true that the growth in popularity of the tournament leads to many more people standing around and being cranky as seats are at a premium and varsity coats hang from the sprinkler system pipes. I got there at 8:32 and had to hunt for three empty spots and then root for the teams sitting by us to lose ASAP only for spacial concerns.

No truth to the "auxiliary gym" thing. Merrillville has a fieldhouse that could fit many more people but all flat land save for some short bleachers on the perimeters and some available on wheels. They've had the conference meet in there, and everyone has breathing room, but that's an 8-team, 3-mat tournament where people are OK with standing a little more. Unless the mats were on raised stages with a video board overhead, that wouldn't work.

The announcer seemed to be reading everything for the first time and sounded like someone trapped in a phone booth with an angry hornet's nest.

As far as biggest gyms in Lake County, THAT is hilarious. It's nowhere near the top of the list of capacities, and Lake County has some of the largest high school gyms in the nation. Valparaiso University only seats 4,000, and I've been there for some big games against ranked Butler or Purdue teams and seen that it would not be a great semistate venue, or much of a wrestling venue at all.
There are places with many more seats but not as much administrative support, so a coat check might be the only realistic recourse in the near future. 

Thats looks like a great facility.   But at Merrillville you're closer  to the action,   and er the a lot closer to the dude setting next to you on the bleachers.

Great seats everywhere at Fort Wayne SS. EVEYWHERE!!!

I love how close you are to the action at Merrillville, but if your not there before about 8 am your chances of finding a good seat is sketchy at best. Seating isn't as bad after the ticket round finishes, but some of those matches as we all know are worth the price of admission. What about Mackey Arena?

Edited by Mr. Right

I love how close you are to the action at Merrillville, but if your not there before about 8 am your chances of finding a good seat is sketchy at best. Seating isn't as bad after the ticket round finishes, but some of those matches as we all know are worth the price of admission. What about Mackey Arena?

I would think Mackey would be a recruiting violation. I would imagine competing at a college would be unfair if they do have a team. 

I know we have several fans that follow the kids around most of the season that are older retirees and families that have had wrestlers come thru the program in years past but when it come to heading to Mville SS, they pass.  They been there done that and wont fight the crowd for a chance at a seat, not a good thought in your 60's and 70's....most of our kids Grandparents opted to skip because of the overcrowding there......it's long overdue for a change of venue.

Merrillville is a prime location with 65 right there restaurants pretty close hotels pretty close if a team needs it the first 2 rounds seating is rough. but after the ticket td it isn't to bad. I thought the announcer was better this year I would guess he doesn't follow the sport very close. What we need is a uniformed finalist sheet

Name

School

Grade

Record

Career

Section

Regional

Semi

State

Other

That would make it easy for every announcer

I've done PA work for 22 years, it's not that easy.  Having said that, you have to do your homework - follow the sport, ask coaches/kids for proper pronunciations, review the sheets prior to the finals, etc.  

I will say the announcer did a pretty good job announcing winners as the matches ended.  This is a great help for fans as it is hard to follow four matches simultaneously.

Ontherise, you are right on target with your suggestions.  Here is the only additional thing I would add: require the COACHES to fill out the form or at least review it before being submitted.  Every year at our conference meet I get a combination of the following:

• "our first finalist at 120lbs. loves long walks on the beach"
  • "He would like to give a shout out to his Aunt Mable visiting from Vero Beach"
  • "his future plans include majoring in basket weaving"
  • "not only is he a great wrestler, but he is a champion checkers player"

All funny the first few times you see them, but after a long day they're annoying. Out of respect for the sport (plus, I'm getting crusty in my old age), I won't read that stuff.  I'm sure the Merrillville announcer was volunteering his time, or receiving very little compensation for his services, so I tend to cut him a little slack.  But if he ever hangs it up, let's just I know a guy who would do it for free :)

Edited by vito pepperelli

I've done PA work for 22 years, it's not that easy.  Having said that, you have to do your homework - follow the sport, ask coaches/kids for proper pronunciations, review the sheets prior to the finals, etc.  

I will say the announcer did a pretty good job announcing winners as the matches ended.  This is a great help for fans as it is hard to follow four matches simultaneously.

Ontherise, you are right on target with your suggestions.  Here is the only additional thing I would add: require the COACHES to fill out the form or at least review it before being submitted.  Every year at our conference meet I get a combination of the following:

• "our first finalist at 120lbs. loves long walks on the beach"
  • "He would like to give a shout out to his Aunt Mable visiting from Vero Beach"
  • "his future plans include majoring in basket weaving"
  • "not only is he a great wrestler, but he is a champion checkers player"
All funny the first few times you see them, but after a long day they're annoying. Out of respect for the sport (plus, I'm getting crusty in my old age), I won't read that stuff.  I'm sure the Merrillville announcer was volunteering his time, or receiving very little compensation for his services, so I tend to cut him a little slack.  But if he ever hangs it up, let's just I know a guy who would do it for free :)
well you got my vote already...my 9yr old could have done a better job than that guy...you could tell he hated the job....so next yr just show up and ill spill something in his lap so he'll need to step away then wala, problem solved because the lady in pink will keep him behind the ropes after that!!

I made some new friends sitting close. I met triston Rodriguez from culvers grandma she was awesome I gave the schurgs dad some aspirin a lady gave me my brother and the trianas some cookies it was a pretty awesome day. The first 2 rounds aren't the best but you have to make the most of the situation. I think Amy Beckham does a nice job. She comes from a wrestling. Family and know what it takes to run a tournament.

I've said it before, and will say it again. If Merrillville is willing to give up the semi-state and another venue is found, I would be willing to run it.

Maybe the high school you coach at would be willing to host it. Or they can find another venue.

My school is a little 2A school in south Valpo, so we can not host. If the IHSAA would be willing to move it to Valparaiso University, my AD is an Alum and we would more than be happy to run the tournament. I have offer to run the semi-state for the IHSAA several times before, at such venues as the Genisis in Gary, The Arc at Valparaiso University, and at East Chicago.

I would be willing to help out, ill be cooler police..

Maybe if more teams would "police" themselves, a cooler ban would not be necessary. I remember back when I wrestled we were allowed to bring in coolers. Obviously something must have occurred since then to have to put restrictions in place.

Maybe if more teams would "police" themselves, a cooler ban would not be necessary. I remember back when I wrestled we were allowed to bring in coolers. Obviously something must have occurred since then to have to put restrictions in place.

I know what happened. Its capitalism  by forcing all the spectators to utitlize the  Merriillville over priced concession stand.

I know what happened. Its capitalism by forcing all the spectators to utitlize the Merriillville over priced concession stand.

I wasn't at this years tournament but I know in the past they have been reasonable. I've been to some kids tournaments that were way overpriced.

And if you think it was overpriced at Merrillville wait until this weekend.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.