Evansville Semi State

frigginhurts

Just a few thoughts before I move on to state

Miranda came up big against Hunt at 106, great match

AJ Dixon was a nice surprise

Bethel was HUGE although I did want to see the Lee vs. Lee matchup.

Todrank - guy has a lot of energy but doesn't seem to use it very well.   sure wish he would go after lee and not back up the entire match.

Luigs gave Konrath a great match, almost pulled it off.

still not sure what happened in Johnson Molloy match

Elmore stepped it up big time

AVON stepped it up and won a lot of critical matches.   not sure what the tiebreaker criteria is .

Johnson and Molloy bumped heads. They circled afterwords and Johnson blacked out (fell backwards off his feet...no contact). If a wrestler loses conscientiousness in a tournamount, they are not allowed to continue until they have been thoroughly checked and cleared by a doctor (there may also be a mandotory time before competing again also I think...like 48 hours).

While Johnson wanted to continue, state rules prevent it.

Johnson and Molloy bumped heads. They circled afterwords and Johnson blacked out (fell backwards off his feet...no contact). If a wrestler loses conscientiousness in a tournamount, they are not allowed to continue until they have been thoroughly checked and cleared by a doctor (there may also be a mandotory time before competing again also I think...like 48 hours).

While Johnson wanted to continue, state rules prevent it.

Other than the part about bumping heads, every other statement you made is factually incorrect.

Kudos to the medical staff at the ford center. They were on the spot and incredibly responsive. The Danville coaches were also gracious and tried, albeit unsuccessfully, to resolve the problem.

Good luck to Elliot Molloy at state.

John S, Johnson

Other than the part about bumping heads, every other statement you made is factually incorrect.

Kudos to the medical staff at the ford center. They were on the spot and incredibly responsive. The Danville coaches were also gracious and tried, albeit unsuccessfully, to resolve the problem.

Good luck to Elliot Molloy at state.

John S, Johnson

hook and half,

Do you have the facts? Will Johnson be able to compete at state? They announced Johnson & Lewis for the consolation match as Lewis was on the mat accepting the forfeit, but they never even mentioned the forfeit moreless give any explanation. It was kind of annoying that we were all left in the dark regarding what happened. 

I certainly don't know the details of what happened in the Johnson / Molloy match but it must not have been cut and dry or the MD coaching staff (and others) wouldn't have reacted in the way they did.   Tough day overall for MD as numerous other calls went against them late in matches.  They spent a great deal of time at the scorers table.  

On a positive note:   the singers for God Bless America and the National Anthem were outstanding!

Just a few thoughts before I move on to state

Miranda came up big against Hunt at 106, great match

AJ Dixon was a nice surprise

Bethel was HUGE although I did want to see the Lee vs. Lee matchup.

Todrank - guy has a lot of energy but doesn't seem to use it very well.   sure wish he would go after lee and not back up the entire match.

Luigs gave Konrath a great match, almost pulled it off.

still not sure what happened in Johnson Molloy match

Elmore stepped it up big time

AVON stepped it up and won a lot of critical matches.   not sure what the tiebreaker criteria is .

Guess I was watching a different match than you. Though the score was close at 6-3, Konrath controlled the whole match.

Bethel never ceases to amaze me. He's going to turn a lot of heads at state.

Kemper was also very impressive yesterday

Guess I was watching a different match than you. Though the score was close at 6-3, Konrath controlled the whole match.

Bethel never ceases to amaze me. He's going to turn a lot of heads at state.

Kemper was also very impressive yesterday

I personally thought it was a great match.   I should have said he had a chance to pull it off as he was working Konrath pretty good on top instead of saying he almost pulled it off.   Either way, i personally thought it was a great match.

The Bethel/B. Lee was the match of the day & got the biggest cheer when Bethel won. The entire Ford Center (minus B. Lee fans) cheered. I've been attending the EVV SS since it started & I can't remember a loader or more unanimous cheer.

I actually felt bad for B. Lee, but majors congratulations to Bethel.

The Evansville courier as usual was pathetic with the coverage of an outstanding wrestling event. With that being said there was a very good picture of how Alex Johnson may have been injured. I don't know the specifics of Alex not being able to return. But as one parent to another we the Kemper family hope to see Alex ready and healthy Friday night! On the best team in the state Johnson is a big reason they are as good as they are.

Jason Kemper

The Evansville courier as usual was pathetic with the coverage of an outstanding wrestling event. With that being said there was a very good picture of how Alex Johnson may have been injured. I don't know the specifics of Alex not being able to return. But as one parent to another we the Kemper family hope to see Alex ready and healthy Friday night! On the best team in the state Johnson is a big reason they are as good as they are.

Jason Kemper

I too hope Alex is able to compete next Friday. I am curious because I was sitting near one of the teams and heard one of their coaches say that if he was disqualified for a head butt that it would mean he would be unable to compete at state. I have absolutely no idea if this is correct or if Johnson was truly disqualified or not.

Edited by SIACfan

Everyone keeps saying that Bethel over B. Lee was the biggest upset of the tournament. But I say the refs were mine poor officiating. I'm sorry to say it but they messed up major yesterday. I am not even talking about the bad calls of what is and isn't a takedown. Or how they awarded takedown and then almost a minute later take it away. But how an 18 year old almost got paralyzed had he went down at a slightly worse angle then he already did. I don't believe Joe Lee did anything with evil intentions against Todrank in that match but people in the stand were yelling potentially dangerous well before it even got to that point and the ref didn't stop it until after he got hurt. There has to be away for refs to be held a countable for their calls some times. Or have we forgot these are just kids in High School?

Edited by In The Bleachers

I thought many of the refs at the Evansville semi-state seemed "lost" & unsure of the rules/what calls to make. I saw a lot of faces I didn't recognize, so I am guessing this was the first time at Semi-State for some of these guys.

Brownsburg! Wow - Impressed with these young studs & just as I was thinking to myself "what the heck happened at Brownsburg", I caught a glimpse of the coach and had my "aha" moment - with Schneider @ the helm this team will just continue to improve and impress.

Luigs held his own with Konrath & impressed the hell out of me - great top wrestler & he's just a sophomore!!!

Nick Lee proved that he should have been a "Ford Tough Lock" just like his brother Joe.... and Austin Bethel - well, he just showed Evansville what happens when you underestimate someone - and again - just a sophomore!!!! Bethel v B Lee was so exciting - I did feel a bit bad for B Lee, as someone earlier said, "the crowd went wild" - but everyone loves the underdog!!!!

AJ Dixon - nice surprise! Great showing from him @ semi-state and he had a great fan base!

Avon - had a great showing & rumor has it they have some incoming freshman studs, so I'm sure we will be seeing a lot of them in the coming years!

Johnson and Stevenson both defaulting in heated matches. My prayers for both of these seniors - want to see them both healthy & competing @ State!

Everyone keeps saying that Bethel over B. Lee was the biggest upset of the tournament. But I say the refs were mine poor officiating. I'm sorry to say it but they messed up major yesterday. I am not even talking about the bad calls of what is and isn't a takedown. Or how they awarded takedown and then almost a minute later take it away. But how an 18 year old almost got paralyzed had he went down at a slightly worse angle then he already did. I don't believe Joe Lee did anything with evil intentions against Todrank in that match but people in the stand were yelling potentially dangerous well before it even got to that point and the ref didn't stop it until after he got hurt. There has to be away for refs to be held a countable for their calls some times. Or have we forgot these are just kids in High School?

ITB, can you expand on Lee / Todrank situation? Unfortunately, I wasn't in the bleachers and with no video I could only follow on Track Wrestling. I saw there was an early caution/warning (thought it was to Todrank, but memory is poor so coulda been Lee) and the scoring seemed to stop often. Wasn't sure if it was the website or if there were stops in the match for some reason. With it being their third final in three weeks against each other thought there might be fireworks.

I have to agree on the officiating. I understand it is a very difficult job. However, I feel some of these refs were not ready for this level of competition. It's not a knock on their ability, maybe a lack of experience. He struggled with a few calls in our 152# match. When in doubt, stop the match. Im just happy Todrank could continue the match.

Yes. The match was on its feet and Todrank tried to roll through out of a shot. Lee then grabbed his upper thigh and lifted him off the mat. Todrank was holding the ankle and head was straight down towards the mat completely off the mat. When Lee went to return Todrank his face went straight into the mat and he screamed out. It the obviously pretentiously dangerous and the ref didn't bat an eye.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.