UNOFFICIAL State Duals leaderboard updates

maligned

Below are updates for IHSWCA state duals qualifying.  They are still unofficial because they reflect tentative classification assignments that may change with the new IHSAA enrollment data coming in March that will determine final classifications.

At state, only underclassmen score.  In all 3 classes, you get another 0.5 for moving to 6th/7th place, 1 pt for 3rd-5th, 1.5 for runner-up, and 2 pts for being a champ. 

Class 3A:

Currently in automatic bid positions:

Warren Central 242

Penn 237

Portage 226

Mater Dei 217

Perry Meridian 217

Brownsburg 207

Cathedral 197

Jennings County 194

Lawrence North 185

Carroll 175 (semi-state auto bid position)

Currently in vote-in positions:

Crown Point 181

Avon 175

Valparaiso 174

Hamilton SE 172

Castle 167

Zionsville 166

TEAMS THAT COULD MOVE INTO 3A: New Palestine 169

Class 2A:

Yorktown 218

Bellmont 206

New Palestine 204

Mt. Vernon (Posey) 200

Delta 199

Southmont 180

Evansville Memorial 175

South Dearborn 172

Lebanon 166

West Lafayette 157 (semi-state auto bid position)

Jimtown 163

Leo 155

North Montgomery 152

Columbia City 149

NorthWood 149

Franklin County 146

Garrett 146

Gibson Southern 145

TEAMS THAT COULD MOVE INTO 2A: New Castle 167, Oak Hill 167, Jay County 141, Roncalli 141

Class 1A:

Prairie Heights 233

Oak Hill 214

Adams Central 209

Monrovia 200

Bremen 186

Knightstown 174

Centerville 167

Triton 159

Eastern Hancock 157

Tecumseh 157

Winchester 150

Attica 149

Churubusco 147

Lake Station 144

Milan 135

TEAMS THAT COULD MOVE INTO 1A: Southmont 207, Delphi 160, Southridge 159

Edited by maligned

Jennings County 194

I had suggested this possible dark horse candidate earlier in the week because of their seemingly very fortunate first round semi-state draws.  They went 9-1 in that round and racked up big points.  This qualifying process uses a point system that is "predictive" of next year's good teams, but more than that, it is a competition where you have a chance to go and get points and prove you belong.  JC did that and are seemingly in position to get their first State Duals bid.

The info above now includes updated secondary scores for some key teams in classes to which they could possibly be re-assigned when we have the final enrollment data. 

Also, all scores are fully verified now.

Edited by maligned

I did a little more research into any success by underclassmen at state that could affect any of these standings.  There are only a couple of items since the max amount anybody can earn is 2 points this week (because the difference between a state qualifier and a state champ for a team's dual meet strength isn't much).

1. In 2A, with New Castle and Oak Hill looming as possible 2A move-ins, Bocock getting a Top 5 finish for Lebanon would give them the 1 point they need for more security in their final automatic wildcard position.

2. In 3A, Merrillville is only 2 points from voting contention and should earn those points between Covaciu and Streck.  However, if Avon's 3 underclassmen can help them keep more than a 15-point lead on Merrillville (right now it's 17), they potentially eliminate a strong vote-in candidate.

I would think Avon would have a good chance at the vote in. They went 3-1 at Team State this year and finished 5th. Won Sectionals, Regional's and Semi State. Avon has 3 underclassmen at State. 2 other underclassmen were at semi state. And yesterday Avon Middle School North had 4 MS State Champions that will find spots in the line up next year. I believe Avon won a total of 9 medals at MS State yesterday. 

I just saw on FB that Perry was claiming the middle school state title. Was there a recount? LOL

They changed the points system from last year. Under the new point system Perry won. They had a kid at about every weight. Avon didn't. Last year only wrestlers that scored top six finishes were scored. This year your top kid at each weight class got points (regardless of placing).  Again, congrats to Perry.

Edited by Mattyb

Bocock and the Lebanon team are tough. I enjoyed watching them at New Castle and would like to see them at team state.

I agree and I think he's capable of placing.  I just found it funny that the comment came across as "hey no pressure or anything, you just have to finish in the top 5 in state!"  Best of luck to the Lebanon wrestlers

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.