How would class wrestling work in Indiana?

decbell1

Wow, you taught me something new. I guess that makes sense. I was unaware they have guidelines for number of classes, but it does make sense. That being said, we are right there at the 2 class mark.

There may be some wiggle room in that bylaw as it says a sport may be split into 3 classes if 75% of the schools have teams. Depends on if the IHSAA says it must be or if they say it may be but does not have to be 3.

It depends, i coach at a school that has only had 2 Qualifiers Ever and 1 that moved in High School (Tanner Lynde) these boys walk by that wall everyday and see there pictures hanging up and they work harder now wanting to have to kniw THEY did it, and that they deserve being one of the Top 16 in the state...So im fine with it staying the way it is....

Either way, they are still top 16. A football team that takes second in 3A doesn't say they were top 12. They say they were second place.

But the beautiful thing is that YOU helped plant the seeds in that program that allowed your program to grow to another level. You contributed indirectly to these young men who went a step further than you, whether you realize it or not.

If you read Hooks book he illustrates this type of upstart with the Mater Dei program. They took many lumps along the way, but they kept going and going. Small successes led to bigger ones and so on and so on...the next thing you know they got a couple signature wins and the community started supporting the team.

Or we could just skip the years of hard work and dedication (see Perry, EMD, Bellmont, Yorktown, South Adams, Oak Hill, etc.) and just add more classes and state qualifiers.

I prefer the Perry, EMD, Bellmont, Yorktown, South Adams, Oak Hill, etc. route.

Actually in the 5 years after my graduation they still were at around the 6 semi-state qualifier mark. By the time the team became good I was a hasbeen and most the kids didn't even realize I graduated from there.

Isn't one of the reasons team state was taken away because the IHSAA made the excuse that wrestling is an individual sport?  When a wrestler wins in Indiana they are crowned THE state champion.  What would be the point in diluting the field if a small school has just as good of chance of having a state champion?  Sports like swimming and track are not classed because they shouldn't be.  Just because your school is bigger than mine doesn't mean you can run or swim faster than me.  Just because your school is bigger than mine doesn't mean you are a better wrestler.

Actually in the 5 years after my graduation they still were at around the 6 semi-state qualifier mark. By the time the team became good I was a hasbeen and most the kids didn't even realize I graduated from there.

You still helped grow that program even if those kids knew you by name or not.

@ fanatic46401... There could be more schools with pictures of wrestlers on their walls in the schools, inspiring more kids to work hard to become a state qualifier. 

Did you just try to tweet?

What facilities do we have in Indiana that could host events like this? Most can hold 4 mats but places could hold 6 mats and still have adequate seating for spectators?

State is the only level that would require 6 mats, that would still be at Bankers Life.

What facilities do we have in Indiana that could host events like this? Most can hold 4 mats but places could hold 6 mats and still have adequate seating for spectators?

I think Bankers Life could simply remove the side board for hockey from the main arena and fit mats in a T formation down at the end where the coaches table is.

How many nearly double or triple or quadruple Indiana's population?

Ohio and Illinois are two of the top wrestling states around us that are classed but they both nearly double our population.

In actuality we are 15th in terms of population in the country, states with less population like Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Idaho, etc all have classed wrestling....and some are actually pretty good.

Indiana is the 16th state by population

I know but idk how they run their wrestling! Haha...  It is interesting to see this information and the way the state would be broken down for an individual tournament, I just don't think it's the best thing.  I can agree with the classed team state because small schools have a lot harder time trying to fill a roster with less students to do so.  They also have a smaller talent pool to pick from to make a solid team.  I also like the idea of having full wrestlebacks.  This is something many have been pushing for years.  It is sad to see a wrestler's career or season end in the ticket round or Friday night because of a bad draw. (i.e. Sopko/ Schurg, Elmore/Baseemier, Rossbottom/Jankowski, the list goes on...).

Isn't one of the reasons team state was taken away because the IHSAA made the excuse that wrestling is an individual sport?  When a wrestler wins in Indiana they are crowned THE state champion.  What would be the point in diluting the field if a small school has just as good of chance of having a state champion?  Sports like swimming and track are not classed because they shouldn't be.  Just because your school is bigger than mine doesn't mean you can run or swim faster than me.  Just because your school is bigger than mine doesn't mean you are a better wrestler.

You realize most states class individual sports. Not to mention stopwatch sports have qualifying times as well.

Has classed basketball or other classed sports helped grow those sports in schools?  We assume that if we class then more people will win thus wanting more people to play/wrestler.  I see the same few names every year in volleyball, football and other sports state finals.  The IHSAA put in a system to force successful schools up a class because the same schools were dominating year in and year out.

Isn't one of the reasons team state was taken away because the IHSAA made the excuse that wrestling is an individual sport? When a wrestler wins in Indiana they are crowned THE state champion. What would be the point in diluting the field if a small school has just as good of chance of having a state champion? Sports like swimming and track are not classed because they shouldn't be. Just because your school is bigger than mine doesn't mean you can run or swim faster than me. Just because your school is bigger than mine doesn't mean you are a better wrestler.

Just my input for this situation... My son is a heavy weight on his team, the only heavy weight on the team. He practices with the only 220 on the team. There is a 70 lb difference in their weights! When he steps on the mat Saturday his competition is going to be much heavier and wrestle much different than the practice partner he is used to. And every one on here knows that when a kid wrestles the same partner in practice all year, they reach a point when it's almost impossible to improve much more. That is one disadvantage to bring in a small program.

You still helped grow that program even if those kids knew you by name or not.

Only because I chose to go back and coach there. By me going to semi-state in 1997, didn't affect any kids that were wrestling in 2004. Who knows where the program would be if I stayed at Northrop or went to Carroll in 2003...

In actuality we are 15th in terms of population in the country, states with less population like Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Idaho, etc all have classed wrestling....and some are actually pretty good.

All the states you mentioned, with the exception of Idaho, also have very successful D1 wrestling programs in their state.  

Has classed basketball or other classed sports helped grow those sports in schools?  We assume that if we class then more people will win thus wanting more people to play/wrestler.  I see the same few names every year in volleyball, football and other sports state finals.  The IHSAA put in a system to force successful schools up a class because the same schools were dominating year in and year out.

I think it has.

I think if you look at basketball participation only, you're not doing yourself any good. Basketball participation is as saturated as any sport in the country in Indiana.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.