How would class wrestling work in Indiana?

decbell1

The problem is there are pros and cons each way. Maybe the ihsaa should hire an outside consulting firm to examine and collect data from other states to truely weigh out the pros and cons and figure out what would be best for the kids wrestling... Not for their pocket books

That would be great but probably not realistic, but hey I post non realistic ideas all the time. The Ihsaa probably doesn't even care that wrestling exists unless it severely damaged their pocketbook.

I'm curious, if someone were to poll every wrestler in the state in classed wrestling and 90% of them wanted it to stay unclassed, would there still be advocates for classed wrestling? If it's all for the wrestlers then would there still be an argument to go against what the majority wants? If it's all for the kids then would people still argue against what they wanted?

I am curious if 90% of kids wanted McDonald's for lunch every day at school would there still be advocates for healthy school lunch?  Sometimes adults know what's best better than kids do.

Is there any data from other states that points to an increase in participation after going to a classed system? Or does anybody with an unbiased opinion have any credible, first-hand experiences to draw from?

I'd just like to actually see something of substance. This thread is nothing but a bunch of hypothetical assumptions and "if this, then that" rhetoric to reinforce everyone's respective opinions, which both sides of the argument are guilty of (myself included).

I don't have any data, but out of curiosity I posted a question on a Michigan high school wrestling board about going to single class, and was surprised at the response.  It wasn't so much that they were against it...the idea must be so ludicrous to them, they didn't even seem to understand what I meant.  They all wanted to talk about taking the champions of their four divisions and making a tournament.  Even after I clarified, people just kept saying stuff about how having all of the division champs in a tournament would be kinda cool, but not really worth the hassle.  So methinks they are quite content with how a four division system affects their wrestling. 

I am curious if 90% of kids wanted McDonald's for lunch every day at school would there still be advocates for healthy school lunch? Sometimes adults know what's best better than kids do.

but that's a completely different matter. One option is clearly bad for the kids while in the case of classed vs unclassed there are pros to both sides.

but that's a completely different matter. One option is clearly bad for the kids while in the case of classed vs unclassed there are pros to both sides.

Maybe use of cell phones in class would have been more analogous.  The point is, when a decision about kids is hard for adults to make the best idea is usually not to poll the kids and see what they want. 

I have traveled around the US and the world, our brotherhood always finds each other and two questions come up what weight did you wrestle and did you make it to state. Never was asked if Indiana was classed or not, and no one ever comented that state appearance doesn't count because it has 3 classes.

I have traveled around the US and the world, our brotherhood always finds each other and two questions come up what weight did you wrestle and did you make it to state. Never was asked if Indiana was classed or not, and no one ever comented that state appearance doesn't count because it has 3 classes.

Did you make it to state?

Nope, semi state, and conversations always went straight to story telling next. Most of us don't go D1 or even wrestle in college, even fewer go into coaching or make a career from the sport. So what we have is the brotherhood of wrestlers, it molds our thinking and approach to life, that is the end result for most of us. How far we got in the tourney, classed or unclassed, is the introduction and I have appreciated and enjoyed every story after. Meet someone from Ohio who went to state at the NCO club in Japan, you won't care to ask if it was classed, I didn't, I just appreciated talking wrestling.

Nope, semi state, and conversations always went straight to story telling next. Most of us don't go D1 or even wrestle in college, even fewer go into coaching or make a career from the sport. So what we have is the brotherhood of wrestlers, it molds our thinking and approach to life, that is the end result for most of us. How far we got in the tourney, classed or unclassed, is the introduction and I have appreciated and enjoyed every story after. Meet someone from Ohio who went to state at the NCO club in Japan, you won't care to ask if it was classed, I didn't, I just appreciated talking wrestling.

Fair enough and I completely understand this. I was just curious as to whether or not the narrative has ever gone one direction or the other when story telling with people that wrestled in classed states.

Nah, constant themes cutting weight, moves guys used to beat us, and always how tough our practices were. Everyone beat someone to get to regional, semi state, and state; only 14 end their career with a win. Respect for doing what we all had to do to compete has made the accolades less important and fellowship strong.

Do what ever we need to do to get more kids involved and 35 years after it is all over they will still be thanking and remembering their coaches!

I think all wrestlers would agree that their goal is to be the best that day and to become better than they were. I don't believe format matters whether it is class or our current or both. Medals and ribbons are just for show.

I agree. The goal is to be the best in your weight when you step on the mat that day. Of course when you split it into two classes that can't happen.

I agree. The goal is to be the best in your weight when you step on the mat that day. Of course when you split it into two classes that can't happen.

That's why I think we should have both and not just one or the other. With class we get more involved and interested in the sport. With our current we get the best of the best. However many think my idea is dumb.

I don't think class wrestling will solve our current problem here in Indiana. In my opinion, for the state of Indiana to become a recognized wrestling powerhouse, consistently producing high caliber division-I prospects, we need to start having our best teams compete in high caliber tournaments in surrounding states. A thing that immediately comes to mind are the Flo Major tournaments.  If we could get 3 to 5 of our best in-state teams to go and compete in these tournaments on a yearly basis: 1.) they will immensely increase their exposure to division-I recruiters, which puts our best Indiana wrestlers on the national radar  2.) Wrestle against much higher levels of competition (there are typically 2-3 nationally ranked kids at each weight class in these tournaments, if not more) 3.) Expand the sphere of wrestling for our Indiana guys, meaning that they will be exposed to other styles and wrestlers they would not typically see competing only in Indiana. I have solid testimony proving this approach.  My brother Hayden Lee was your typical 3-time state placer in Indiana wrestling on a subpar schedule with Garrett High School, which didn't translate well come state finals time.  Fast forward to his senior year in Ohio: Hayden wrestled in 4 Flo Major tournaments in the regular season, winning one of them (Top Gun) and was eventually able to win a state title.  The level of competition he was facing in these tournaments facing nationally ranked kids every weekend, I believe prepared him for a career with a prestigious Division-I program such as Arizona State. If our best teams here in Indiana could adopt something similar by competing in Flo Majors, I believe our best in-state wrestlers will go on to have great Division-I careers!

So why cant you be the best in your weight class when you have two classes?

Isn't that obvious? If there are two classes there would be two state champions per weight class. Do I really have to explain that?

You could be the best wrestler in your classes weight class.    That would be a good thing.

Funniest back and forth I've ever seen. Thanks, guys.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.