How would class wrestling work in Indiana?

decbell1

Many kids that don't wrestle in high school are solid to good wrestlers. Just because they don't wrestle doesn't mean they're bad, but they have football and baseball to play so why wrestle if they can't make it to a high level? You're increasing the incentive for kids like that to come out. Its not a difficult concept.

Did you ever wrestle? It's not a sport of glory. It's a blue color grinding life lesson. If kids are joining wrestling so they can be state qualifiers then we are making it too easy to qualify.

Why not have class individual tournaments to better seed the wrestlers for our current format. Keep the small schools happy by letting their wrestlers achieve something they feel is important while giving the large schools more practice and better match ups to prepare for our current format.

Did you ever wrestle? It's not a sport of glory. It's a blue color grinding life lesson. If kids are joining wrestling so they can be state qualifiers then we are making it too easy to qualify.

It's not a sport of glory?? lol Have you ever been to the State Finals?  More people watching more kids at the State Finals is just a terrible thing...........that's why kids wrestle.....for the glory......Having double the amount of kids experiencing that glory would surely increase interest.  I don't know how you could deny that

It's not a sport of glory?? lol Have you ever been to the State Finals? More people watching more kids at the State Finals is just a terrible thing...........that's why kids wrestle.....for the glory......Having double the amount of kids experiencing that glory would surely increase interest. I don't know how you could deny that

So once again why should we stop there? Let's make it 5 classes and qualify 1120 kids rather that two classes and 488 kids. 5 times the kids experiencing glory will increase interest even more than your terrible idea of just trying to double it. There are 5 states that have no tournament leading to state finals. We need to get on their level of interest. Everyone qualifies for state finals.

His point is just exaggerating yours.. if doubling the kids at state makes more kids want to wrestle then why not have 3 Classes and get even more people? Or 4? Or 5? The fact is the kid who lifts to play football or works during the winter doesn't care if he could make it to state in wrestling or not...

Cool.

Has anyone that randomly spouts off about the subject..........and especially those that mention a "watered down" tournament, actually looked at the information including the pdf on page 1?  If not.....take a gander.......think about it..........research it.........expand your noggin a little bit......see what happens.  In my opinion, it's doesn't look so watered down.  

Well you seem to not be able to understand his point...

But I'm off this case... I don't think argueing on this forum is going to change the ihsaa in any way. So no matter what happens I hope it works best for the kids because at the end of the day they are what matters and why we all do this...

So once again why should we stop there? Let's make it 5 classes and qualify 1120 kids rather that two classes and 488 kids. 5 times the kids experiencing glory will increase interest even more than your terrible idea of just trying to double it. There are 5 states that have no tournament leading to state finals. We need to get on their level of interest. Everyone qualifies for state finals.

Ok, if you like using extremes, why aren't you advocating for the removal of 2nd-4th place finishers from the field at each level? Why hand a medal to an 8th place kid? Only the champ worked hard enough to win!

Give me a break man. Going to two classes and keeping the same venue on the same days is not going to ruin the whole state . It is no more of an expansion than enlarging the tourney to 16

Well you seem to not be able to understand his point...

But I'm off this case... I don't think argueing on this forum is going to change the ihsaa in any way. So no matter what happens I hope it works best for the kids because at the end of the day they are what matters and why we all do this...

I'm curious, if someone were to poll every wrestler in the state in classed wrestling and 90% of them wanted it to stay unclassed, would there still be advocates for classed wrestling? If it's all for the wrestlers then would there still be an argument to go against what the majority wants? If it's all for the kids then would people still argue against what they wanted?

We already have tournaments like the Al Smith Classic, so why not use tournaments like those throughout out the state as class tournaments by tweaking them? I'm just saying we don't have to change our format but just add to it.

How many times are you going to suggest this?

I'm curious, if someone were to poll every wrestler in the state in classed wrestling and 90% of them wanted it to stay unclassed, would there still be advocates for classed wrestling? If it's all for the wrestlers then would there still be an argument to go against what the majority wants? If it's all for the kids then would people still argue against what they wanted?

This is really a pointless question, because I could ask the exact same questions in reverse.

Probably... Who doesn't like to argue?

The problem is there are pros and cons each way. Maybe the ihsaa should hire an outside consulting firm to examine and collect data from other states to truely weigh out the pros and cons and figure out what would be best for the kids wrestling... Not for their pocket books

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.