How would class wrestling work in Indiana?

decbell1

Now are they from schools that barely fielded a team or were they from a schools like Mater Dei?

Not sure.  I just know they are "King of the Scrubs".  Good thing they all stayed away from the big boys....they might have gotten hurted.

Not sure. I just know they are "King of the Scrubs". Good thing they all stayed away from the big boys....they might have gotten hurted.

I looked up Stiebers hometown and dang it's got only 1400 people there. It's ifficialy titled a village lol.

The stieber brothers never had a full team. One year Logan told me that they had 10 kids. Four of them state champs.

Did numbers increase after that year? With the main argument for classed is that more success equals more kids come out, then that success should lead to having 20+ kids the next year.

The stieber brothers never had a full team. One year Logan told me that they had 10 kids. Four of them state champs.

Two Stiebers brothers, Cam Tessari antoher NCAA all- American  and Phillips who was ranked #1 in the country at one point as a freshman.    I used to live by Monroeville and it wasn't known for wrestling.  But lightning struck 4 times there and they had four studs that could of one the Indiana state title.

Did numbers increase after that year? With the main argument for classed is that more success equals more kids come out, then that success should lead to having 20+ kids the next year.

All of them one four state titles, but I think wrestling participation did increase while they where their.  They all went to a good club, and I think they were partially a product of open enrollment.   The two other kids moved from a nearby town to wrestle with the Steibers.

There are a lot of very good small schools in Ohio. Delta,Bedford Channel,CVCA and Applecreek Waynedale to name a few.

All of them have full lineups most every year.

Sounds like a fistful of scrubs to me....run with the big dogs or stay on the porch and get your meaningless "CLASS" championship

The Buckeyes must have had wrestling disabled program that allowed them to have Jaggers and the Potokar's enroll and then get better.  There is NO way a scrub high school could have anything to do with producing all americans.

Edited by KarlHungus

The Buckeyes must have had wrestling disabled program that allowed them to have Jaggers and the Potokar's enroll and then get better.  There is NO way a scrub high school could have anything to do with producing all americans.

Better step away from the computer for a minute and get some fresh air.

Or try a snickers...

The argument in favor of class wrestling is that it will help the sport in Indiana by increasing small school participation.  Is there any argument that single class is beneficial besides that it makes the state finals cooler to watch?  How does having one champion improve the sport in our state (compared to multiple)?

Just posting again in case someone has thought of an answer.

Just posting again in case someone has thought of an answer.

Yeah the kids who win state are the best in the state... not the best in the state within 1a schools.... "THE" best... singular... The olympics dont have 3 gold medals for each event broken down the the size of the countries do they?

Yeah the kids who win state are the best in the state... not the best in the state within 1a schools.... "THE" best... singular... The olympics dont have 3 gold medals for each event broken down the the size of the countries do they?

So what in your reply tells us how the single class is beneficial for the sport in our state?

There are a lot of very good small schools in Ohio. Delta,Bedford Channel,CVCA and Applecreek Waynedale to name a few.

All of them have full lineups most every year.

i would expect all the small schools would be successsful wrestling with themselves...

Indiana had some additional rules that might hurt small schools (in all sports). Not sure how other states compare. Chiefly among these rules are the strict regulations regarding in-season training with kids from other schools and club teams.

Edited by mtv2112

mtv2112 I agree with you on that rule!  Many states allow at least club and clinic practices during season.  It is very hard for a kid to work hard in the off season and then come back in season to a room with no one that can push him and not loose his edge.  Iron sharpens iron.  You see this often in smaller school programs.  

Indiana had some additional rules that might hurt small schools (in all sports). Not sure how other states compare. Chiefly among these rules are the strict regulations regarding in-season training with kids from other schools and club teams.

THIS!

Perhaps this is a happy medium.  Being 4-5 deep in a weight class is an advantage, there is no way around that.  If guys from smaller programs can get in a room with better wrestlers during the season, then everyone improves/wins.  This would also account for program size versus school enrollment size.

THIS!

Perhaps this is a happy medium.  Being 4-5 deep in a weight class is an advantage, there is no way around that.  If guys from smaller programs can get in a room with better wrestlers during the season, then everyone improves/wins.  This would also account for program size versus school enrollment size.

These states that allow this also have class wrestling. I don't think I would want kids wrestling with my kids in the same weight in the tournament. In the states that allow this it is usually coaches from different divisions/classes that hook up and combine practices and workouts. 

These states that allow this also have class wrestling. I don't think I would want kids wrestling with my kids in the same weight in the tournament. In the states that allow this it is usually coaches from different divisions/classes that hook up and combine practices and workouts. 

Sure, the logistics likely need to be considered carefully and there are definite concerns that need to be fleshed out, but the rules as they are today are a handicap, IMHO.

OH, and BTW, as evidenced in my previous posts on this thread, I am actually Pro-Class wrestling, I just see that we are miles apart on the issue and perhaps a middle of the road approach could be found so that both sides concerns are addressed.  Expand the pie, there is enough to go around for everyone, it does't have to be so black and white.

Edited by Katanakahn

The Tournament of "Champions" can be ISWA state or the Al Smith where you could see Prairie Heights or Garret or Rochester with state placers competing against Warren Central, Penn, Mishawaka, etc. In the other states they are pretty certain who the best is with their in season and out of season events.

Y2 I think you make a good point here.  But to play devil's advocate, last year we would have the Lee vs Micic debate rage on if they were split into 3 classes.  Although these larger tournaments may be able to get some good match ups, I don't think it is a guarantee that we get to see all of them. 

I have come around to see that classed individual may be better for more participation in the smaller schools, I still haven't come around to be convinced that it would be a more exciting finals weekend.  (Of course this is selfishly speaking - because everything revolves around me.  LOL)

Edited by pjayroza

Y2 I think you make a good point here.  But to play devil's advocate, last year we would have the Lee vs Micic debate rage on if they were split into 3 classes.  Although these larger tournaments may be able to get some good match ups, I don't think it is a guarantee that we get to see all of them. 

I have come around to see that classed individual may be better for more participation in the smaller schools, I still haven't come around to be convinced that it would be a more exciting finals weekend.  (Of course this is selfishly speaking - because everything revolves around me.  LOL)

I don't want 3 classes. I would HATE 3 classes. Two is the max and if Mater Dei stayed at their original class both Lee and Micic would have met. If not we would "never know." 

You wouldn't think it would be exciting to have two matches under the lights to watch?

Last year you would have matches like

Reitz vs. Bailey and Konrath vs. Egli

Smith vs. Pepple and ????

Red vs. Knapp and Glogouski vs. Lahue

Davis vs. Early and Micic vs. Lee

Wilson vs. James and Lovejoy vs. Campbell

Cash vs. Covaciu and ????

LeCount vs. Forte and Loe vs. Batts

These are just guesses, but you'd have two quality matches going on at once. 

Looks like a class wrestling topic wins the award for longest thread again this year...  :)

Does anyone know if the IHSAA is considering making some changes to wrestling or if the IHSWCA  is planning on proposing changes to the IHSAA? Or is all of this good debate and discussion?

I don't want 3 classes. I would HATE 3 classes. Two is the max and if Mater Dei stayed at their original class both Lee and Micic would have met. If not we would "never know."

You wouldn't think it would be exciting to have two matches under the lights to watch?

Last year you would have matches like

Reitz vs. Bailey and Konrath vs. Egli

Smith vs. Pepple and ????

Red vs. Knapp and Glogouski vs. Lahue

Davis vs. Early and Micic vs. Lee

Wilson vs. James and Lovejoy vs. Campbell

Cash vs. Covaciu and ????

LeCount vs. Forte and Loe vs. Batts

These are just guesses, but you'd have two quality matches going on at once.

This entire time I thought the case was for 3 classes which sounded horrible. But 2 classes wouldn't be so bad.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.