How would class wrestling work in Indiana?

decbell1

Show me evidence that class wrestling will hurt participation?

So because Indianapolis city schools are struggling...much like Fort Wayne, we should just keep doing what we are doing? You don't think that having kids with more advancement into regional and semi-state and even state would help those programs and their perception in the school?

How much of the struggle in Ft. Wayne has to do with so many schools not having Jr. High wrestling? Then it goes back to the feeder programs.

I would like to see both formats. I doubt this would be possible though. I love the class team duals but like to see everyone with a shot. Have class individual tournament during the regular season and then all classes individual tournament at the end. Almost like it being tournament of champions. Love to see all class team duals tournament back also. In essence we could have a team being a champion four times. Class individual points, class team dual, all class team dual, and all class individual points team champions.

If it is so easy for small school wrestlers to win state titles when they are only wrestling other small school wrestlers, doesn't it kinda water down the state medals for big school wrestlers in our current format?  How can a Merrillville wrestler really be satisfied with an 8th place medal if they beat a Triton kid Friday night?

It's not personal. You have made it very clear that more awards handed out is much more important to you than earning the awards already set in place.

Ohh yes, I have nothing to do with helping the sport get as much exposure as I can do I? Maybe I know something since I have been at a school of 500 kids and one with 2000 kids. Maybe I see something that isn't exactly equal between the two schools.

Go on with your personal attacks, they really help your argument tremendously.

It's not personal. You have made it very clear that more awards handed out is much more important to you than earning the awards already set in place.

That is your twisted interpretation of his argument.  Just another debating trick used when you're losing.  These are like shooting fish in a barrel.

That is your twisted interpretation of his argument. Just another debating trick used when you're losing. These are like shooting fish in a barrel.

I'd love to know how I'm losing? The system in place is the one I want. Besides if I lose this battle and Indiana goes to classes, the entire state of Indiana wrestling losses.

I'd love to know how I'm losing? The system in place is the one I want. Besides if I lose this battle and Indiana goes to classes, the entire state of Indiana wrestling losses.

You're losing the debate when you make straw man arguments and misrepresent the other sides position.

You can't even spell loses. #personalattack

If it is so easy for small school wrestlers to win state titles when they are only wrestling other small school wrestlers, doesn't it kinda water down the state medals for big school wrestlers in our current format?  How can a Merrillville wrestler really be satisfied with an 8th place medal if they beat a Triton kid Friday night?

No takers on this? 

Galagore,when it comes to individual performance school size has little to do in my opinion. However when it comes to determining a team champ that way I think it is a disadvantage for small schools. Only sport where we never have a true champion as dual match ups and strategies are different than individual results gaining team points.

While madtown, Y2C, and Karl stall on this topic, no offense,anybody have an idea if my proposed idea would work?

Not exactly your plan but I had proposal a few years back to try and create a classed team dual state tournament while preserving the single class individual tournament. This would be based off of the results of the scores sectionals like the previous dual event was.  It involved realigning each sectional so that their was a somewhat even distribution between the number of 1A, 2A, and 3A  teams (or 1A and 2A in a 2 class system) at each sectional.  Then based off of the final sectional tournament scores the highest scoring 3A team would be the representative for their dual tournament, the highest scoring 2A team would go to thier classess dual tournament, and the same with the 1A team.   It wouldn't matter which team actualy one the sectional just that the team was the highest scorer in their class.  Then all individual would advance throug the single class state tournament series as they do now.   But, for this to happen their would have to be an effort to create a somewhat even realignment in each sectional, as well as, the IHSAA allowing a dual team tournament to occur again during the post season and be classed.

So your opinion is that when a Mishawaka freshman and a Triton freshman step on the mat the first day of practice freshman year, each has an equal likelihood of earning a medal at state before the four year timer is up?  Is that an accurate assessment?

I'm saying that an individual has control of their own destiny in those four years by hard work and determination. The Mishawaka kid may have less obstacles than the Triton kid in obtaining that medal, but if that Triton kid wants it bad enough he will earn it.

Lets not change the format of the individual tournament.   But for state scoring lets have 3 state  champions based on points scored by class size.     1A champ would be the highest scoring  1A school, 2A champ would be highest scoring 2A school and the 3A champ would be the highest scoring 3A school.   It would give the small guys a little incentive.   Like last year Cascade, even though scored 2 points would be the 1A champ.  Yorktown would of been 2A champ of course Cathedral would have been 3A.  Maybe  could also start scoring the irrelevant 1st round at state to give some small schools a chance to score. 

That is the truth

Well, given that neither of us has the data necessary to determine the experimental probability of either of these situations, it is not possible to know the truth value of the statement.  However, knowing your opinion on this issue does help to complete my understanding of your opinion on class wrestling overall. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.