Matt Wills out of prison, starting over

Matt Wills, 1991 state heavyweight champion and all-state running back from South Bend Riley, has just been released from prison after serving 11 years for manslaughter.

His story is told through a series of interviews that ran Monday, Feb. 9, on FOX 28 television.

Click here:

http://www.fox28.com/story/28063231/2015/02/09/matt-wills-story-time-served

It's not just one story; there are five video clips to check out. Pretty engaging stuff.

Anybody who was at the 1991 state finals will remember Wills as an absolutely dominating heavyweight. He won his state championship match in less than a minute. He later went on to win a national championship.

No offense but are these video's trying to make us feel sorry for this guy and forgive him for killing his cousin?  I feel for the guy for making a horrible decision that ruined the lives of those around his family and himself but I refuse to feel sorry for him.  He is a killer and should be spending way more time behind bars then he has.  Yes, he may have been a great wrestler/football player but he is still a convicted killer.  Both of them were pretty ignorant in my opinion.  Though my opinion really doesn't mean crap but I sure wish that the idiots in charge would bring back the paddle in schools (we use to respect and fear our teachers and coaches when we got out of line) then were horrified when our Parents found out.  We should bring back hard labor to our prison system to make sure that young kids are scared of going there (no air conditioning, cable tv...nothing but just being there).  I have two Grandsons that have non existant fathers that I have gotten into wrestling because I know that this is the best place for them to learn discipline, respect and self confidence. I will teach them morals and values.  God Bless you Coaches and Teachers.   Sorry to bore you but this topic hit me in the heart.

No offense but are these video's trying to make us feel sorry for this guy and forgive him for killing his cousin?  I feel for the guy for making a horrible decision that ruined the lives of those around his family and himself but I refuse to feel sorry for him.  He is a killer and should be spending way more time behind bars then he has.  Yes, he may have been a great wrestler/football player but he is still a convicted killer.  Both of them were pretty ignorant in my opinion.  Though my opinion really doesn't mean crap but I sure wish that the idiots in charge would bring back the paddle in schools (we use to respect and fear our teachers and coaches when we got out of line) then were horrified when our Parents found out.  We should bring back hard labor to our prison system to make sure that young kids are scared of going there (no air conditioning, cable tv...nothing but just being there).  I have two Grandsons that have non existant fathers that I have gotten into wrestling because I know that this is the best place for them to learn discipline, respect and self confidence. I will teach them morals and values.  God Bless you Coaches and Teachers.   Sorry to bore you but this topic hit me in the heart.

Well said

Let's hope he turns his life around.

He was a bad man.  I believe he lateraled Frank Hammond from PM and the cradled him for the pin in the '91 finals.  Hammond then dominated the field in '92.  Wills was a man among boys back then.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.